Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

As a bit of a theory nerd myself, the theory test may not matter for admission, but I can say for certain that teachers can tell who understands theory and who doesn’t by listening to their playing or singing. Do not underestimate the power that a strong knowledge of music theory and history can have on a student’s playing. At the top conservatories where my son applied, the vast majority of undergrad applicants had at minimum AP theory level abilities. That’s not just a coincidence.

Just my two cents for those reading these threads who have younger kids – get them in theory classes!

5 Likes

My son did not decide based on teacher either, and whether he clicks with a teacher can make a huge difference to him. He did reject one school8n the end based on a teacher he didn’t like.

His primary teacher changed very unexpectedly after his first semester, so if he had chosen his school based on that teacher, that might have been a bigger upset than it was. He liked the new teacher so it was ok.

He’s also music Ed. He did get a great voice education but he has also gotten particularly great training to teach in some ways that really matter to him, in spite of pandemic interruptions to his coursework, which he values just as much.

3 Likes

My son has previously been able to do similar things. He has a fabulous ear. The problem is that if you are premiering a piece there is no recording!

Mine did AP Music Theory as a freshman (the exam was bizarre that year - Covid year 1). Then did more theory at Brevard last summer where they did placement tests to make sure everyone was in an appropriate level for them. Something to consider when weighing summer festivals.

1 Like

Did Syracuse admitted students day. Setnor specifics.

For Fall 2023 they had about 500 applicants for 45 spots in Setnor.
Theory and ear training are required for 4 semesters. Music history for 3 semesters.
Extra lessons (not included in degree path) are 650/semester.
Practice rooms each have Steinway.
Convocation (or a meeting with all Setnor students) is currently Thursday afternoons and is required.

2 Likes

Congratulations on getting into the program! What is he thinking now about his choice? Has he already decided on Syracuse?

You can be a great musician without it, but having a solid understanding of Music Theory is really helpful across all genres and styles of music - especially if you’re interested in composing and arranging. My son did AP Music Theory and then advanced theory classes at the college level. It never came up during his auditions, but it can only help and never hurts. And most colleges/conservatories will require some level of music theory as well.

3 Likes

I’m not a musician, but it seems by observing my son that it’s crucial for improvisation. I really could be wrong. I understand very little about music myself. :slight_smile:

LOOOOOVEEEE THIS! Thanks for sharing!

Perhaps it was me reporting a long while ago about my son’s sight reading experience during his jazz audition with USC. It was virtual, and he had about 30 seconds after they put the music up on the screen! I was just describing the audition. His experience was that everyone asked him to do sight reading, but we can’t really know how important it was. My guess is that for jazz, it’s far less important than improvisation.

Y’all, is there a phrase for the opposite of dodging a bullet? I’d wondered why my kid put Loyola on his list in the first place, because it’s not on all the lists that pop up about jazz schools, and his teacher hadn’t told him about it. The process was so crazy, I kept forgetting to ask. I just knew it sounded perfect for him, and the list kept narrowing down until I could tell it was going to be the one. Finally, last night I asked him. He said he put it on his list, because when he was running in Audubon Park he saw it and it looked cool. :open_mouth: This is so him. He loves to explore. But holy cow, it was the most casual thought that led him to his perfect school. We weren’t even supposed to be in NOLA that week. Of course, as he learned more about it and visited to audition, he learned it was such a great program and fell in love with it. My heart was in my throat when I heard that!

p.s. Anyone who has run in NOLA probably knows lots of people run on the streetcar tracks. That’s the only reason he saw it. He and I had chosen a hotel right on the streetcar line, and so he ran from our hotel to Loyola. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes it is random chance that leads them to the right place. We had never heard of Temple/Boyer until kid’s middle school band teacher mentioned it when I asked her (us west coast folks don’t always know about the east coast schools).

Ended up being the perfect fit and used to have (darn COVID) the most well-known percussionist teaching master’s students. I’m convinced fate has a way of helping them out.

2 Likes

No, this was a few years ago and I do remember who it was. Still thanks for your insight.

I have gotten “tangled” up in this issue before…lol. If you say that it doesn’t matter that much…someone will have very good reasons to say…oh yes it does! In my opinion (which is probably wrong…lol), many kids are developing these music skills (from somewhere…study, experience, summer programs, weekend programs, AP classes etc). Still, you can get accepted with more rudimentary skills (and high talent). So a potential candidate shouldn’t NOT audition bc of a concern about music skills (theory, sight reading etc). Still, having a foundation in music skill is always a GOOD thing and can have a positive effect on acceptances and money…of course. It’s like a big circle that you can go around and around on…

I did see some comments up top a day or two ago…about music theory test. I do remember at my D’s UG that the placement test had two results (regular music theory or rudimentary). Regular music theory did have a honors section if students want to choose that.

STILL, rudimentary music theory was a NON-credit college class…AND you couldn’t take first year music theory second semester. It was only offered first semester every year. So a student in rudimentary theory wouldn’t start college level theory until first semester of the second year of college. There was a pathway in place for this…but we had no clue about this. My D did pass into regular theory (she had AP theory in high school). She told me most students in rudimentary were vocalists…again they start later. A pianist will probably NOT be in rudimentary theory as they have been playing a lot longer.

So, it can be worth looking into how the school does their theory placements and if it will impact your student. My D’s friends didn’t really care…however I will say my little princess would have had a really hard time with that. If I had known that and if she would have been in rudimentary, I think that she would have tried to increase her skills over the summer and see if she could test out…

2 Likes

Well said as always @bridgenail. And my apologies as I feel my response was perhaps too strong as I only wanted to express that a formal theory test was not part of the audition process. In total agreement with you and others (thanks @TooManyViolinists !) that learning music theory, history and indeed all exposure to various genres of music and art can make a big difference not only with a musician’s interpretation and expression during their performances/auditions, but also their enjoyment of the process.
So much to learn and share in this world. And I so appreciate everyone’s insights on this thread.

By the way…My kid too had a theory placement test on audition day at one school. I thought it a bit odd to determine placement for the fall before you are accepted to the program.

2 Likes

There was a school where my son had the option of doing a piano placement exam on audition day. He declined and decided he’d do it later if he went there.

1 Like

Thanks, all. Looks like he has decided on CIM! So happy to be done with this 8-month process and let life get back to normal. Good luck to all of your kids!

7 Likes

My Daughter was trying to wait to hear about the Rice wait list but Eastman contacted her to tell her the professor that she really wanted to work with there wants her in his studio and is saving a spot for her. So she asked for more money and they gave her about $3300 more, which still isn’t really enough (not that they aren’t being generous we/she are just poor lol) but I think she’s going to commit to Eastman.

6 Likes

Yeah…we’re finally finished running this incredibly long race and it’s Juilliard!! I am so looking forward to the fun part now :smile:

10 Likes

Amazing!! Congrats!!

1 Like

Congratulations! :tada: Onward to fun!