Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Such great news! I know how much this means. :heart:

2 Likes

My son has two good friends headed to Bard. They’re both singers, actually, but not majoring in music. It sounds awesome.

1 Like

I have an etiquette question for those of you who have done this before.

My son is giving a senior recital. His wonderful teacher, who is not a spring chicken and lives about two hours away, is planning on coming. We have always given her Christmas gifts, etc.

Obviously, if we get dinner afterwards I cover her tab. But I was wondering what we should give her- she’s older so she doesn’t necessarily need nor want a bunch of “stuff.” I have an appropriate gift for the accompanist(pen decorated with score of Beethoven’s “Emperor”).

What is normally done? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Feel free to move this post if it needs its own thread!

How about a dozen roses and some chocolates…but most of all…a very lovely note from your kid.

ETA…we had a vase of roses on the piano (check to see if that’s allowed) and at the end of the last recital, it was given to the accompanist. It could just as well be given to the teacher.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about what to do for my kid’s high school teacher. S has taken at least 8 classes with him, been in 6 ensembles. The teacher cares for him. He’s one of the good ones. :slightly_smiling_face: I’d like to do something meaningful, but I’m not sure what’s appropriate for a public school teacher.

We did a double frame with one photo of kid when he started with his teacher…as a 9 year old and one with teacher when he finished. So cute, as teacher looked the same and kid completely grew up.
Teachers are like members of the family to us!

1 Like

Our high school ensemble teachers were also special @BeverlyWest .

We knew them well enough that we knew a favorite restaurant…and got them a gift card to that place…along with a note from the kid. We parents also wrote a separate note.

We also got our kids’ private teachers gifts too. Piano teacher got the roses after the last recital. Other instrument teachers were coffee drinkers…and got nice travel mugs and gift cards to their favorite coffee shop.

For clarification…in high school, other than the piano teacher, our kids didn’t have “recitals”.

In college, we gave the accompanist the roses…and a gift to the applied teacher.

1 Like

This we’ve already done! Repeatedly!

What did you give the applied teacher? She shared knowledge, marked up college of music with special fingering from historic people, wrote recommendations…

But she’s a true pedagogue, and has had many students who went on to do things more impressive than anything my son has done- yet! She’s retired from her playing and university positions but still has a few private students.

I could do flowers.

I like to do something more long lasting than flowers.

2 Likes

D. put together a pretty planter for her teacher’s front porch, and wrote a beautiful, heartfelt letter—addressed to her teacher’s future students. The letter, presented at her last lesson, told of all the things future students might look forward to…challenges, successes, hardwork, tears, and laughter. It was a great way to honor her teacher, and all the great work they had done together. They had a special relationship!

2 Likes

I believe I mentioned upstream…the applied teachers got gift certificates to restaurants or places that we knew they really liked.

In college, we actually took DDs private teacher out to a very very nice brunch.

@compmom I am a teacher. Unless you know the person really wants something long lasting (and know what that is)…better to get something that is consumable or not long lasting. When I retired, I had boxes of lasting memories from students…which were not kept…and I seldom used most of them.

But I really appreciated a dinner out, or coffee gift card, or something I really did enjoy. And I loved getting flowers. We never gave flowers to the guys!

ETA…I had long term relationships with my students and families because of the job I did.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that will work in this case, but I love this. Thanks. :heart:

1 Like

My D and another new conservatory student started an Instagram account for new Bard Conservatory students. If they want to check it out, it is called Bard College Conservatory Class of 2028.

3 Likes

Oberlin Con asking if son wants to stay on the waitlist; he’s already said no to the College…

1 Like

I assume that means there is movement on that waitlist? Interesting. I know your son is already committed elsewhere but interesting nonetheless that they reached out.

1 Like

Yes. It also was very non-specific. The movement that had occurred wasn’t necessarily for his instrument.

At the auditions, he was definitely given the impression that the profs mightn’t have any room for anyone because they seemed unvested.

It’s also interesting because the UNCG prof, who’s an Oberlin alum, thought he’d get in off the waitlist and was surprised he was waitlisted.

2 Likes

oh neat i’ll let them know!!

1 Like

Is anyone here familiar with the Berklee Thrive Scholarship? We’re wondering if it might be a possibility for my son next year if he does well his first year. I know it’s for students who have completed two full semesters, maintained a 3.0, etc. But it also says financial need is considered. Apparently for Boston Conservatory, that means Pell Grant eligible, which doesn’t apply to us, but the the website is vague about the Berklee eligibility. We’re scrambling to find ways to fund his education!

1 Like

Hi all! It’s been a long time since I last posted here. After a sabbatical year from my D, she has just committed to do her master’s studies in opera at Thornton. Congratulations to all of your acceptances and decisions!

4 Likes

Congratulations! I’m curious as to her activities during her sabbatical year if you are comfortable sharing.

3 Likes