Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Hello everyone! I am chomping at the bit to hear about Eastman auditions today, was it run well? Were there any activities for families? How did they assign times?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello all- We are at the start of the audition process and for the first time I’m seeing my kid seem a little overwhelmed from the intensity of it all. Few questions for you: Did any of your kids experience a very short audition after a long trip to get there? If so, how did your child react to that? Could a “short audition” mean anything? Part of me feels if the school is really interested and the applicant made a point to be there, they’d want to find out as much as possible. The only question my son remembers being asked in the last audition was “Is this school your first choice?” I would think a more common question would be, “Why this school?” Any thoughts about audition length and questions asked would be interesting to hear. I don’t want to be a stage mom, but, yikes, this all feels like A LOT…

A short audition can mean that he is so well prepared that they could tell his accomplishments just from a short audition. It happens!

And…is it his first choice? ‘Cause to me that sounds like if they asked that specifically then he did really well.

3 Likes

Last week at Oberlin the cello faculty had a tight schedule, they were running five minutes behind pretty early. So they didn’t have time/ask for the étude at all, and some of the best parts of the selections weren’t heard because they moved on to the next piece. They asked no questions even though it was listed as audition and interview.

At UNCG auditions, which were not rushed, they still moved my son along but let him play both Bach selections in full. Later, though, the cello prof brought my son back to his office and they talked in depth and ended up doing a lesson.

So I think there’s something about “sampling.” And I don’t think the faculty pay attention to how far you have travelled. Some of the other schools the interviews/auditory skills were handled via virtual meetings at a different time than the auditions. And my son has been asked about where schools are in his rankings, the “why this school” only has seemed to come up in supplementary essays.

I wrote somewhere up above that we traveled 6000 miles to miami and back for a 15 minute audition. That was my kid’s first, so we didn’t know what to expect, but I have heard that’s normal and that professors can learn a great deal in a short time.

I’m smiling wondering what my kid would say if he was asked that question at a school that’s not his number one. What do you do when put on the spot? Maybe something like I don’t know. I’m here to find out. :grin:

2 Likes

My D had auditions that lasted all of 5 minute with a one random question and got acceptances. It can be their general practice. They could be on a tight schedule that particular day. They could be running behind…and some kids do actually get more time than yours. And, of course, they could have heard your kid for 3 minutes or so…and been yes…he’s good, no worries….next. Everybody wants that warm fuzzy feeling…but some schools as a rule keep it pretty cool and professional. The warm and fuzzies come after acceptance.

There is a lot in the process that seems “unfair” and “confusing”…but all I can say is “welcome to the world of music auditions!!” You’ve made it!

The BEST advice that I can give you is RESIST reading the tea leaves after auditions. Simply accept the audition for what it is “short and sweet”. You kid may look to your reaction…so keep it neutral…since you really don’t know. It is best to let it go…and focus on the next one.

Still…some auditions are longer and maybe more fun. I’ll hope for that at the next one.

Edit: For that question, my D flubbed it the first time (named another school…lol). Next time, she said YES, you are a top contender bc…she always had some aspect of the school prepared that she liked…to show knowledge. I never prepped her on the school list question (didn’t know to) but I did tell her at each school to focus on one or two key elements so she could talk about that if necessary. I think she just ignored the “are we number 1” and switched it to you are one of my top schools bc…I think…it’s been awhile…

6 Likes

It’s so hard not to read anything into it, but I’d try not to. It can feel overwhelming and discouraging to think about all of the time, money, and preparation that go into those few moments—especially when the outcome is unclear or disappointing. It definitely feels like auditions should be accompanied by fanfare, activities, etc. Some are, some aren’t.

When my D went through this process a few years ago she had an audition that she felt went tragically wrong. It was short, poorly played (in her opinion), and the judges barely seemed to be paying attention. It WAS her first choice school, and she was devastated. What had been planned as a weekend-long trip of fun, exploration, and time with friends took a tearful turn.

Fast forward a few weeks, and she was shocked/thrilled to receive an acceptance to the program. I wasn’t convinced, but she knew all along that it was the place for her. She accepted and has been happily ensconced there for several years. (Those seemingly indifferent adjudicators are now trusted teachers and mentors who display understanding, encouragement, and generosity on a weekly basis.)

Here’s hoping your musician finds the right fit, and even experiences pleasant surprises along the way. Hang in there. You’ve got this! :heart:

6 Likes

We flew a long way this weekend for a short, not very warm and fuzzy audition as well. In contrast to last week where they were laying on praise in the audition room. :woman_shrugging::joy: My older kid had that experience too. I’m sure these days get long for faculty.

Onward and upward!

5 Likes

Absolutely! I second this advice! Many programs run their auditions in a totally objective and professional way which seems cold and impersonal from the user end. My son had several auditions lasting under 15 minutes, some with no interaction with the panel whatsoever. He had great acceptances. I do know he reported after a couple of his auditions that it seemed like so much preparation and travel for such a short period of time in which to shine. But i know his private teacher had prepared him for the experience by explaining how auditions are run at many schools.
And we learned to not pay any attention to the panel’s response (or lack thereof). Looking back now, the program where he was accepted with a full scholarship …the professor was looking out the window with his back turned to my son during his audition.

@jBliq
In reading your prior posts, was this the USC audition? For my son, it was one of the shortish ones with little personal interaction. Mine was accepted. I am guessing the audition you experienced is standard for the program and not a reflection of your kid.

2 Likes

My D’s last professional auditions had 3 auditions…last one in front of the big dog. She knows that he knows her…and she expected at least a greeting or acknowledgment from him. Nope, he stood in the back talking to someone throughout her whole audition…which was super distracting, she didn’t sing her best so she felt that she had blown it. In the end, she got the role.

So, you are really entering a “different world” where the teachers are no longer that accountable to parents…and all of our feelings (like high school). In general, my D’s audition are good experiences…but “stuff” still happens in the audition room that you just need to deal with. It’s a growing experience…so embrace it as best you can.

Edit: this was meant for everyone…not @anotheroboemom in particular…who already knows this “stuff” well.

2 Likes

That must have been rough. I bet he was listening by looking somewhere else, but that’s hard on the musician. Congratulations on the outcome!

1 Like

My kid’s private guitar teacher teaches funk and soul. I don’t know how much they talked about the college audition process. I didn’t even know I should ask.

How did your son like the school after his audition? I hope all went great!

Try not to read anything into it. I think they have to give every kid the same or similar opportunity (i.e. ask similar questions of them, allow them the same amount of time, etc.), so if yours got only 5 minutes and no questions, then others probably got the same. In my child’s experience thus far, the school that spent the most amount of time with my child ultimately declined to offer her admission. Also, it’s possible they are auditioning both graduate and undergraduate students on the same day, so a graduate student might get more questions than an undergraduate student – it’s hard to say or know what you are up against. My D’s audition this weekend was very short-- only two songs, and they asked no questions afterwards; however, they did have to get a ton of students through in a short amount of time.

1 Like

DELIMA:
D VP has an audition today and we are 8 hours away from home. We both were lucky enough to pick up food poisoning at dinner last night. There is not time to reschedule her audition and we’re both worried that she’s not going to get through without being sick (not to mention the toll last night has taken on her throat). I’m sure there are no great answers…just looking for some reassurance that this isn’t the end of the world…it feels like it to her and I’m far too sick to think of any wise things to say :woman_facepalming:t2:

Oh dear! What a nightmare! I don’t know if this would help, but perhaps try contacting the school, explain the situation and ask for the last spot of the day. If at that time she is still too ill to perform, hopefully the program would accommodate an audition (live or remotely) at another time.
I hope you are both better soon.

I asked her if she wanted me to make a phone call and she has decided that she’s going to at least walk in to the school for her allotted time (she has to be there an hour early). If she feels out of control she’s going to see who she can talk to personally. She likes to handle these things herself and I appreciate that about her. We had planned so many fun things to do while we were here but have decided that it’s just going to be pajamas and saltines and maybe ginger ale in the hotel room as soon as she’s done. Thankfully we already planned a grace day for travel so I won’t have to make the drive back home until tomorrow.

3 Likes

Follow your D’s lead on this. Most students who audition a lot know that they (the musician) need to handle this with the staff.

As a parent, you should remind her not to do anything if it will hurt her voice. If you feel she is truly being reckless, you need to have a conversation with her. Still the faculty would stop her if they heard her straining her voice. They are experts on the voice.

Voice teachers can “hear around” a lot of issues. They have all had colds, probably food poisoning, strained voices. In general, you are not to give excuses for your voice. If she has to do the audition live and feels that she can do it, she can take her shot. If she is too sick, she should pull out.

I hate to say this…but this is auditioning…things go wrong. Kudos to your D for wanting to take care of it. As a parent, just be sure that she is not being reckless.

2 Likes

I trust that she’s knows what she’s doing and won’t do anything to harm her voice. It just stinks to watch them struggle…especially at a top choice school. She’s handled all of these on her own and I’ve just been along for moral support (and $$). But she’s still just a 17 year old kid and disappointment over not being able to be at your best hits hard sometimes. All of these performers are so driven and mature and she’s no exception but she’s still my kid and you know how as a parent you always just want to have the right words or solutions to make it all better…even when that’s not possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I hear you. My “kid” is 30 and I still worry about her. And when it’s high stakes, it just stinks. Further up the thread I mentioned my D’s 3rd audition that went wrong. She called me crying (and I thought I was done with this…it was the first time in a long time for tears). I worried all week…and told my H to get ready for an Unmerry Xmas. I was bummed that I was riding the roller coaster AGAIN!! I guess that I’m just trying to say: this is what it is to be a performer (and a parent of a performer)…it’s really hard sometimes. The lows are very low and the highs are very high. So what can I say but…buckle up.

I hope that you can do ONE fun thing if your D is up to it…even if it’s watching a movie together. You both deserve it.