Classics at Auburn

<p>One professor. Two elementary Latin classes. Two elementary Greek classes.</p>

<p>I-yi-yi.</p>

<p>Well, I guess it’s better than nothing.</p>

<p>Just barely!</p>

<p>Well, Auburn isn’t really known for its humanities…but I think they are working on that.</p>

<p>But why would you expect that Auburn would offer a full program in Classics?</p>

<p>On the other hand, some good things have been written about Auburn’s Philosophy Dept.
<a href=“The Thinker - The New York Times”>The Thinker - The New York Times;

<p>But why would you expect that Auburn would offer a full program in Classics?</p>

<p>I don’t know enough about Auburn to expect anything, one way or 'tother. This is the first time I even realized that it did not have much of a humanities focus. (Thanks, mom2ck!) Before joining CC, I didn’t know much about Univ of Alabama, either. I know a little bit about NC schools, because I live in NC, and a little more about New England schools, because I’m from Boston originally, but Alabama schools have hitherto been a sealed book. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Very interesting article re the philosophy department. Thanks!</p>

<p>Don’t think too many football players are interested in these courses ^^^!!</p>

<p>did you mean to post this on the Auburn thread?</p>

<p>^ Nope. I meant to post it on the Auburn-Basher Thread. LOL. :)</p>

<p>Just kidding. I am kinda-sorta comparing and contrasting the two institutions. Am learning a lot here about Bama (where DS will probably end up), but I would like to know a little about Auburn, too, just to see what the options are.</p>

<p>What’s the classics department like at Bama?</p>

<p>Certainly glad I didn’t apply to Auburn; I had no idea the humanities were that limited.</p>

<p>I knew that Auburn’s strengths were still tied to the land-grant school roots (engineering, agriculture, architecture), but I am surprised to hear this as well.</p>

<p>Other “Classics” at auburn:</p>

<p>Dick & Jane
Green Eggs & Ham
Humpty Dumpty
Little Engine that could</p>

<p>*What’s the classics department like at Bama?
*</p>

<p>THE CLASSICS PROGRAM AT ALABAMA
The Classics Program at the University of Alabama aims to bring students into intimate contact with the ancient world, primarily through the study of Greek and Roman literature in the original languages, but also by an exploration of all facets of ancient culture. The student who completes this program of study can expect to have a better understanding of language, grammar, and rhetoric, as well as the great ideas and values that shaped the Western tradition. The program also affords the student hands-on experience through its study-abroad courses in Greece and Italy.
RECENT GRADUATES: The perennial question remains, “What can I do with a Classics degree?” The answer is, “So much!” Rather than tying you down to any one skill or career, a degree in Classics offers you endless possibilities. The training afforded by the major is widely respected among graduate and professional school recruiters. Our majors who have applied for law school or medical school have had a 100% acceptance rate. Look at the recent graduates page and see what they are doing to get an idea what you can do with a Classics degree. </p>

<p>ENTERING STUDENTS </p>

<p>While it is not necessary to have studied Latin (or Greek) before coming to the University of Alabama in order to be a Classics major, students who have had Latin in high school and enroll at The University of Alabama can choose to begin their studies on a more advanced level. Students with some Latin can go to the Language Resource Center on the 2nd floor of B.B. Comer and take the placement exam. Your score will decide where you start in the run of Latin courses.</p>

<p>NJBama – ROTFL!!</p>

<p>“Our majors who have applied for law school or medical school have had a 100% acceptance rate.”</p>

<p>!!!</p>