Clemson vs. BC

Have narrowed down my colleges to BC and Clemson after touring a few schools this past week. Looking for great school spirit, engineering (used to want business), club hockey, minimal Greek life, an on campus social scene, and a scenic campus. My main issue is that I’m into Clemson’s engineering program but BC’s business school and I want to do engineering but am not 100% sure. BC has a new engineering program but I don’t think I can major in it since I didn’t apply into it. BC is also 15 minutes from my house and I am looking to see a new area of the country since I am probably going to move back to the Boston area since i have a lot of family here. With my decision due next week I am looking for some advice! Thanks

If you want to be an engineer, you have to go to a school with an ABET accredited engineering program.

2 Likes

As you mentioned, BC’s engineering is new and not ABET accredited. That should be a no go for you as many companies will require you graduate from an ABET accredited program.

For this reason and the other reasons you mentioned (want to see a new part of the country, great school spirit), I would choose Clemson’s very well respected engineering school.

5 Likes

It’s an eclectic group of two. but my neighbor transferred from BC to Clemson, so maybe not.

He was a hockey goalie.

That you got into CSOM at BC is awesome - fine school. But you should go to Clemson.

I would not assume you cannot get into the engineering program at BC though. That’s a question you need to ask or research online. Especially given that it’s new, I’m sure they want people. But it doesn’t have disciplines if you look at it online - just three concentrations (health, environment, energy) without accreditation.

Clemson has all the traditional ones - and some niche ones like Automotive. But it has bio, chem, civil, electrical, environmental, industrial, materials, mechanical…so they cover the gamut and it’s a very respected program. And Clemson will be ABET where it matters.

But you might find out the transfer possibilities to Clemson’s business major - should you pivot back. And it’s ok - depending on the study, 40-60% of kids who start in engineering change - and they’ll be there for you if that happens too.

So Clemson is a win win - established and respected program and you see a new part of the country. And play hockey too!!

Accreditation (clemson.edu)

Clemson Ice Hockey

2 Likes

If this is true, and you are sure you want to major in engineering…BC is not the right choice.

1 Like

DD is a junior MechE major at Clemson, and DH did his undergrad at Clemson as a finance major. His whole career has been corporate Treasury/Treasurer. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck on your decision!

1 Like

In my opinion it is usually easier to transfer from engineering into business than business into engineering. Based on that I think Clemson is the better choice. Good luck in your decision.

3 Likes

This is true at many schools - those who don’t stay it in engineering often end up in business. At my son’s school, that happened either during the first few weeks of school or 2nd semester. My neighbor goes to UTK - and he said his son jokes about it - all the partiers end up in the b school.

I’m not saying that’s the case- the engineering frat parties a lot - but it does seem to be where, if engineering doesn’t work out - that the kids often move to business…as opposed to math or physics for example.

I just learned that I cannot get into the engineering program at BC - you have to apply straight into it. It’s now just a question of if I want to major in business or engineering - and I don’t know!

3 Likes

Well…can you do either if you attend Clemson? If both are available to you there…perhaps that is the better choice.

If you go to BC, the engineering option is completely off the table.

1 Like

I can do either at Clemson but my fear is that if I end up doing engineering and then not liking it and transferring to business I would be giving up the opportunity to go to Carroll

2 Likes

To help with this decision - What initially interested you in engineering? Have you taken any engineering classes in High School? What field of engineering are your interested in? Did you apply for a specific major at Clemson?

Is there a career path that sparked the engineering interest?

Look at the courses required for the majors at Clemson and the business courses at BC. Which interests you more?

1 Like

And I’d say so what.

In the end, it’s a business degree. Yes Carroll is solid but so will be Clemson.

But someone who is not all in on engineering will struggle.

Have you looked at an engineering curriculum ?

I would not say that a Clemson b degree will give you a markedly worse result than Carroll.

If you really might like engineering or you really want to leave home, there’s no reason not to go.

FWIW - My son is in the exact same dilemma of Engineering vs Business, close school vs farther away and debating going to the “better” school for business vs the one that has flexibility for both and also b-school. He also hasn’t made a final decision either.

Here are some questions/points we’ve made to him:

1. Map out the courses for a 4-year curriculum of each program. Which is more appealing?
  2. Is one the “safer” choice? is that part of the pull? Now is the time in life to take risks. Don’t be afraid.
  3. Don’t quit before you start. The 60% drop route rate for engineering is there is set expectations - not discourage you. If you went to a competitive high school and liked physics and math, give it a shot.
  4. You can always change schools and majors. Sure, it’s easier to go from engineering to business - but the other way is possible too. It might mean an extra year of school, but 1 year is nothing in the grand scheme.
  5. It’s an accomplishment to be admitted - even if you don’t attend. You probably started this process wanting options and it’s great to have them.

Good luck on your decision.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.