Clich

<p>It seems like everyone that I've approached for advice in this whole college admissions process, from my best friend to my counselor, has told me that I need to play up my race in my college application. They all think I need to write one essay (either Common App or supplemental) on how I've overcome some kind of huge racial barrier to achieve X.</p>

<p>But isn't this thing kind of overdone? I really do intend to write at least one essay on race relations, because that is something near and dear to my heart. In fact, I started a community initiative in the 10th grade that was designed to identify and fight institutional racism in my neighborhood, and I ended up winning a prestigious youth leadership grant from the NAACP for my work. My fear is that by writing an essay about race, I will look like I'm just hamming it up for the schools I'm applying to, instead of showing my genuine concern for the status of minorities in this country. </p>

<p>Any advice/comments/suggestions for how I can present my essay?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>do it! especially when you won something from naacp. it doesnt matter how cliche it is because colleges love it. the key is to make it dramatic. race is an asset and writing about it vs not writing about it can be the decision point. there was this kid in my high school who had very good grades and test scores and won lots of awards and went to a prestigious program in my state. he wrote about how a program changed him and blah blah happy happy blah blah. basically he didnt write anything about race or challenges in life. i dont know if its because he didnt want to or because he didnt really have any (lower upper class, educated parents, good neighborhood). but the point is, he didnt get into harvard when he definitely could have. i think colleges like to hear about race problems especially if you are urm. basically, make like a movie.</p>

<p>considering that most selective universities like to use us as tools for diversity, I’m sure they would love that essay</p>

<p>You can certainly write about race, but don’t feel obligated to do so. If it truly is important to you, go for it. If it’s not, it will more than likely come across that way.</p>

<p>You don’t have to if you don’t want to. The NAACP award is nice, and I think the fact that race relations is important to you will come across by mentioning the award. That’s just my opinion, though. :)</p>