OOS vs Residents

<p>Is it true that the OOS kids and residents segregate themselves and kinda have two separate groups? I heard this a few times, don't know if it's true. UW has such a huge OOS percentage in comparison to say UIUC...you would think that would be more common in a place like UIUC where the residents constitute the vast majority.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I don't think so. Some will stay with old friends but many can't wait to meet new people from exotic places--like Chicago and NJ.</p>

<p>^Exotic, hahaha. Well that's good to hear.</p>

<p>In-state students have first crack at the dorms so there is some segregation caused by that. There is also some joking about "coasties," as in east coast and west coast. Not being a student, but being at the University, I can't really tell how serious it is, but it does seem to be good natured.</p>

<p>Don't worry about it. There really isn't anything to this rumor. There are groups of friends from high school who loosely get together, but the UW really is pretty much of a melting pot. You'll run into people from all over the country.</p>

<p>The difference isn't initially apparent, but I think a lot of the students do notice it. For one thing, a huge number of the out of state kids go greek compared to the Wisconsin kids. And the public vs. private dorm thing is very obvious. A lot of the wealthier kids from New York/Jersey and California tend to hang out together. </p>

<p>Just as an FYI, I think it's a bit harder to go to Wisconsin as an out of stater who isn't from New York or California. I had trouble fitting in with the Wisconsin kids (largely because very few of them had experience in major cities or very many places outside of Wisconsin) and, well, the New Yorkers kind of stuck to their own. Anyway, I'm not trying to shoot down Wisconsin...just explaining why I transferred. I think if you find yourself in the right spot anyone from anywhere out of state will fit in just fine. Just investigate the dorms...</p>

<p>tsdad- Nowhere do I see where instate students get first crack at the dorms- please verify this point if it is true.</p>

<p>It is absolutely true.</p>

<p>So all the instate kids get first choice of dorms and then they fill whatever is left over with OOS? Do any of the OOS kids get anything even remotely desirable? </p>

<p>How many OOS kids do not get dorm space and then what do they do if that happens?</p>

<p>barrons- where is your verification?</p>

<p>See this "Wisconsin residents who apply by March 15 have priority"
OTOH is is also a priority to have all freshmen in the dorms who want it so upperclass instate are after all freshmen.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/pdf/2006-07_application.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/pdf/2006-07_application.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>So that would account for the segregation of instate vs. OOS students. I would think the instate folks fill the better dorms with the OOS getting the leftovers.</p>

<p>Are there any current OOS students that can give us your dorm experience? Did you get your choice of on campus dorm? Did you get any on campus dorm? Was your dorm mostly OOS students?</p>

<p>Mnay OOS head right to the private dorms where their parents and older friends probably lived. A new awesome private dorm is being jointly developed with the UW and should be ready next year.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.news.wisc.edu/12779.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.news.wisc.edu/12779.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Smith Hall is listed on the UW dorm page - it does not appear to be a private dorm but rather a university owned/run building. Since it is new, I would think it would be one of the first to be filled with instate kids.</p>

<p>Being offered a housing contract is not the same as getting your choice of dorms. It seems as though once all the WI residents who apply by March 15 are assured a place in the dorms the others get contracts; then the computerized matching occurs regardless of in/out of state staus- since 1/3 of students wanted Liz Waters and there are OOS students there the match must not care where you're from. Smith also got 1/3 of the first choices (info from SOAR session) and is part of Res Halls.</p>

<p>Smith is public and they are repalcing OGG with another new public dorm.</p>

<p>Just one experience. My son, from Chicago, is a freshman in one of the Lakeshore dorms. That 's what he wanted, and while he didn't get his first choice, there was no problem getting a Lakeshore dorm. Why Lakeshore? He specifically didn't want to be the private dorms and segregate himself with other out of towners. the Lakeshore dorms also have a reptuation of being a bit quieter than the State Street area ones. His roomate is from Minnesota, and while most of the kids in his dorm are from Wisconsin, there are plenty of kids from other states. He's seems to have a good group of friends and has had no problem fitting in as a kid from Chicago.</p>

<p>I took a tour of Smith right before it opened. Very comfortable, with lots of nice facilties but not extravgant. I think there is a surchange if you're in Smith. They have added a new bus route for that dorm and some new administration buildings that have opened on Park.</p>

<p>It is absolutely not true. Most of my friends are from the minnesotta/wisconsin area. I am from massachusetts and I also have friends from other areas around the country. I have not seen any segregation other than the private dorms which are losing a lot of student due to new residence halls being built. There is a stereotype for "coasties" but its not really that big and mostly is a joke. As far as state schools go Wisconsin is definately more open and integrated than others I have seen.</p>

<p>Also I live in Smith this year, and its not all that it was cracked up to be. I wouldn't recomend it.</p>

<p>Please give details about Smith- is it the location, the suites, rooms or what else that you dislike- you got in one of the two most requested dorms! Or when you see the others and talk to people, is it dorm life?</p>