Colgate U. Class of 2027 Official Thread

So excited for DD, Colgate acceptance tonight and Hamilton yesterday. Waitlisted at Syracuse though- weird.

4 Likes

This reply includes brief comments on Colgate and Hamilton in the context of comments on other liberal arts colleges: Struggling with D21's List. ED & ED2: Amherst, Hamilton, Wellesley, Vassar - #7 by merc81.

3 Likes

It’s so strange, my son got denied at Colgate but accepted at Syracuse.

2 Likes

Same experience here. Waitlisted at SU (wierd too - should have been a slam dunk) but got into far better U Rochester and now got into Colgate tonight too. Thought we were done and were going to accept at Rochester. Now unsure. Going to make another visit to Colgate in early April. Very different schools but both great.

3 Likes

I guess all the more reason for diversification in applications. Our D applied to 15 schools which I thought was crazy at the time but now that I am seeing she was correct as the complete surprises in acceptances and FA are amazing. I am glad she did. Schools I thought were certain waitlisted aher nd schools I thought were a reach she got in with good FA. Crazy.

5 Likes

Waitlisted from Colgate. My stats are in the range that I thought this was a pretty good match, however I had multiple family emergencies in a short span in november-january and I didn’t end up getting around to submitting the optional essay, and I had a couple of B’s in my second quarter grades. Is it worth it to send this + other updates to Colgate? From what I saw on their common data set it seems like some kids end up getting off the wait list, but I’m not totally sure

Waitlisted.

1 Like

Same here, my daughter had two rejections earlier this week that were rough but today was a good day. We were completely expecting another waitlist but she got accepted. All her stats have been in range for all the schools to which she applied and I can’t explain why some accept her and some waitlist her.

4 Likes

Same situation here: accepted to Bowdoin, yet denied Colgate?
His stats were above 75th %ile for Colgate SAT and GPA.
So puzzled.

2 Likes

12th rejection :sleepy:. Hopefully the next will be better

1 Like

Bowdoin is one of only a small group of need blind schools Since it doesn’t do merit aid, if you are saying your student got a large grant (as mine did at Bowdoin last year) then it because you had financial need. Schools that are not need blind like Colgate and Colby consider financial need, and may turn down an otherwise highly qualified candidate for admissions because of it.

1 Like

You’ll find your place!!! What are you still waiting on?

1 Like

Yes, that is my understanding too. But the need based aid has been quite variable for us at the most expensive schools. The FA letters show both a calculation of the FAFSA EFC and also the instituitional method. Most of the time the institutional is much higher than FAFSA (which we think is too high of course) but Colgate was unusual in that its institutional need amount was less than FAFSA and they met it 100%. Still expensive though but borderline doable.

2 Likes

Thank you for this insight. Yes I am a single parent and my son received an incredible scholarship from Bowdoin, definitely providing 100% of our demonstrated need.
Surprised that he was waitlisted at Colby, given his financial need and complete lack of demonstrated interest (no visit, no interview, did not even respond to letter requesting updated information with the mid year report). He was just waitlisted as Wesleyan as well. Also need aware. He is very happy because Bowdoin was one of his 2 top choices. Thank you again!

1 Like

My student was accepted and invited to the Alumni Memorial Scholars program but we can’t find much info about it other than what’s on the Colgate website. Any insights or insider info from any one? Hoping to visit to learn more in person but the next month is tricky scheduling-wise.

MAmom8 my son was invited to the AMS program as well. I’m hoping we get something else in an email. From the website, it looks like there is no merit money attached, but an opportunity to apply for grant money for research and there are mentoring opportunities. Following along for any insider info you get.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve seen this but just in case you have not

Looks like the scholars can “apply” for funding. Not guaranteed. They live in the same commons (Colgate dorms are grouped as “commons” with common social activities.)

I’m sure it’s a perk for the right students but I also know kids who aren’t scholars can also apply for research funding.

2 Likes

Hi , Unfortunately they dont give merit scholarships and we dont get financial aid but my daughter got in RD last year when it was 12 % overall and I figured like 7% RD . She loves it! She is very active in several associations and Pep Band , is doing a double major and has completed a lot of core requirements already To show u how much she wanted the Gate , she committed on her visit and had options like Northeastern , U Conn with 92k merit scholarship and others with merit scholarships . Anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Also seniors at the Gate did not shun her , she has senior friends and she was able to bring her car which was a plus as this is a remote area compared to the City we live in and at first that made her not like it .

2 Likes

They received 21k+ apps this cycle again, matching the record set last year. So I’d assume the acceptance rate would be similar to last year’s.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input bm6894 and taking you up on your offer to ask a few questions. So, can you expand on what your D liked about Colgate that made her choose it over other colleges as well as what she likes about it now that she enrolled. Our D is torn between U Rochester and Colgate offers that are about the same net cost and we live about same distance from each of them. Both great schools and fairly small undergad size but quite different with Roc big grad presence an Colgate only undergrad. D planning on bio-biochem with med aspirations. Thanks in advance.

1 Like