Colgate vs Middlebury

Trying to decide between these two colleges, obviously lots of similarities between them, both rural New England LACs with great academics. I want a college with good research opportunities for undergrads (pretty sure this is both), strong alumni connections/advising/career centers to allow me to shadow doctors, get internships, and eventually get into medical school (however, i don’t have much experience/shadowing/know many doctors and are aware many many pre meds change their minds so i also like that these schools allow students to explore a variety of options) Here are some pros and cons i have for each school so far, let me know if there’s anything you might add or anything that seems incorrect
Middlebury:
pros: STEM building is brand new with gorgeous views, avid skier, campus in the mountains and surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous, Burlington only around 45 min away
cons: a little smaller than I would like, huge focus on languages which isn’t something im super interested in,
Colgate
pros: a little bit larger student body, seems to be a bit more stem students/stem focus there, liked their residence hall system, career advising/connection with alums seems stronger (at least was mentioned wayyy more during the tour but could have just been the tour guide), D1/seems to have a bit more school spirit (hockey is v good, mens bb made March madness tournament this year)
cons: area still good for skiing and around mountains but not the same kind as midd, nearest city (target lol) is much further away
Any help would be appreciated!

For an opinion on these schools in the context of comments on other liberal arts colleges, see reply #7: Struggling with D21's List. ED & ED2: Amherst, Hamilton, Wellesley, Vassar.

This U.S. News site offers limited information on this aspect based on survey results: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/undergrad-research-programs.

While Middlebury’s robust language offerings do support its popular international studies and abroad programs, only 35 students graduated with a major in the actual languages category in a recent year: College Navigator - Middlebury College.

I assume you are trying to decide where to ED.
While these schools have a lot in common, the vibe at each is a little different. Is there a way you could perhaps visit a friend at each for a Friday class day then an overnight to see if one appeals more?

Colgate is a little more in the orbit of NY while Midd feels more New England. Both have a lot of kids from well off families and this is expressed a bit differently at both. Midd students may be a bit quirkier but again, many students at both would find their tribe at the other.

Sports – as a spectator and focal point for social activities - are a bigger deal at Colgate. Colgate is, for most students, an easier admit.

You can’t choose wrong here – ut is really about the place you feel most comfortable.

If you would like to say, did you decide on one of these schools, @pelican123?

i ended up choosing colgate!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.