College Applications

Hello! I am currently a senior in high school and am also the first to go to college in the United States. My parents are from Romania and know nothing about the system here in the US, so I’m taking matters into my own hands. Even though I am in IB and have a really high GPA (4.37 weighted), I am not good at writing and am really struggling with my PIQs for the UC applications. I keep making them too sappy and I honestly can’t think of anything noteworthy that I’ve done. Along with this, because my parents knew nothing about college, I never got the chance to learn about the SAT or the ACT options until it was too late. In fact, I’ve never even heard of the PSAT until my sophomore year the week before I had to take it. I was trying to sign up for the SAT early spring 2020, but everything got canceled due to COVID-19. The August, September, and October dates also were all full in my area. The ACT dates are also full and I cannot take it until December which is past application due dates for the UCs. Therefore, I have no choice but to take my first and only SAT November 7th. I’m extremely worried about my future regarding my application and my SAT. I have no idea where to start studying or what to do to prepare myself for both the SAT and the applications.

My PSAT was 1190 if anyone was curious. I know it’s low, but I also did not study for it because I did not know it existed.

The UC’s are test optional this year and next, so the ACT or SAT will not be required. A good score can help your chances, a low score could possibly impact your chances so I would not submit if below the 50th percentile and no score would be neutral since many students are facing the same issues with the SAT or ACT.

The UC’s will accept up to the December SAT/ACT test dates even though the application is due at the end of November.

That said, I would have your English teacher critique your personal insight essays and see what they say. You want to show admissions something about you beyond your academics and many times you could be your own worst critic.

The UC’s are very GPA focused so make sure you calculate your 3 UC GPA’s which will be evaluated by admissions. Also HS course rigor, your essays and EC’ s will all contribute to your chances.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Some UC admit data from 2019 and 2020 below. Are you just applying to the UC’s? I would also add a couple of Cal states to your list especially since they are test blind this admission cycle.

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 38%
UCLA: 35%
UCSD: 71%
UCSB: 73%
UCD: 84%
UCI: 55%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 97%
UCM: 98%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)
UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)
UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)
UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)
UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

2020 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:

UCB: 1320-1560
UCLA: 1350-1550
UCSD: 1310-1520
UCSB: 1290-1510
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1280-1510
UCSC: 1170-1440
UCR: 1110-1380
UCM: 980-1260

You have a really high GPA and, since UCs are temporarily test optional, you are probably competitive for all of them.

Because of all of the gap year kids and the reduced role of standardized test at all campuses, admission at competitive schools next year is going to be unpredictable.

I’d apply to several UCs that interest you, a few CSUs and a few privates and see how it shakes out. Not sure what you want to study and what you are looking for in your college experience so, its hard to make specific recommendations.

Good luck

@Gumbymom Are the UCs test blind this year because of the court ruling?

@Alamere - looks like they are going to be test blind.

Unless an appeal is filed and the decision is over turned, it looks like they will be test blind this admission cycle.

Thank you!