College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Ok thanks for clarifying. So it still goes by state. Anyone know what the NYS cut-off score is? And is this related to October 2020 or October 2021? Sorry for my confusion. Hoping his 1300 meets the threshold.

My son was already admitted to ASU but got a letter today offering him $8500 a year as a “New American Scholar”. Is this related to NHSP? When combined with WUE this makes a very compelling price tag. Too bad my son has no interest in the school :frowning:

1 Like

What is WUE?

ASU no longer offers the NHSP to out of state students. They offer the new american scholar award based on gpa/sat/act for out of state students. the NHSP scholarship (which is full tuition) is now only offered to arizona residents. My daughter got $15,500 new american scholarship but with the out of state tuition of around $30K plus room and board the $15,500 scholarship isn’t enough.

WUE - Western University Exchange. Many schools on the West cap out of state tuition at 150% of in state for students from west coast states. ASU appears to have pulled out of WUE for almost all majors in Tempe. I didn’t realize that. They do not stack since WUE is moot and I am kind of bummed out now! LOL

I see. We are in Texas so I am unfamiliar with the WUE.

my daughter got her scholarship with the acceptance. But they told most students that the scholarships and aid will come later on

1 Like

On an unrelated note, is the National Hispanic Scholarship (through the National Hispanic Scholarship Fund) need-based, merit-based or a combination of both? My son isn’t sure whether he should apply next year or how involved the application process is. Thought maybe someone here might have experience with it or information about it. Thanks!

My son received the award for small or rural town today! He applied December 9 and just received notice through his email. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this community thread. I would not have known about this award, how to get it, or that the application was reopened had it not been for you. Thank you!

2 Likes

cut off for Texas is 1110

All Merit $?

Have you heard of Ole Miss gives anything?

Wow, that’s impressive! My son took his first SAT in Nov with much prep and landed a 1400. He’s hoping to improve his score one more time. We’ll see where scholarships/acceptance letters fall. His dream school is RICE, but wowzer is it expensive! He’ll definitely need to up the ante, but it’s great to put in the work and aim high. All that effort will certainly help elsewhere.

College board does not publish their cutoffs for AA, Hispanic, or rural scholars, which makes this thread so helpful. I’m not thinking it will be terribly higher than last year’s cutoff (1100 ish), since so many schools are still being effected by COVID/quarantines. There is also a general sentiment to forgo standardized testing as a whole since so many schools are going test optional even for our son’s age. I’m wondering if that has affected turnout for even the PSAT. Well see how all this plays out…

I have the same question. It says this on the site:
“Scholars are selected based on merit. Award amounts range from $500 - $5,000, based on relative need.”
Also it mentions in the requirements to " Submit the FAFSA or state-based financial aid forms (if applicable)". Our EFC is extremely high because we had a retirement account rollover and it counted it as income mistakenly. I later learned this is a common problem with the FAFSA if you use the IRS data retrieval tool. Anyway, The financial aid office at each college simply told us to provide the 1099 R and they can easily correct it on their end. But there is apparantly no way for us to fix it with FAFSA officially and get a new EFC to report on scholarhip applications. :woman_facepalming: We provide the FAFSA info along with a 1099 R and the financial aid office recalculates but I don’t think scholarship committees do that! She had applied to one scholarship for students with dyslexia and it asked for the EFC from the FAFSA. We provided along with an explanation but I think it is hurting her chances. Anyway, She has otherwise just been applying to merit scholarships that aren’t need based.

I did find this on another website: “These scholarships are merit-based, meaning they’re awarded based on academic and personal achievements, not financial need; that said, financial need is taken into consideration when determining the amount of the award.”

Thank you for this info! I’m thinking that the larger amounts go to lower income students and I understand that, but hoping that higher income students (our EFC is about $40K) could still be awarded a scholarship too. Even if it’s $500, it could cover books for a semester and, more importantly, be added to a resume which could help with appeals for more merit. I’ll have to read up on it more. The other issue is that some schools (Northeastern for example) don’t stack scholarships so if your kid gets outside scholarships it’s simply taken off the amount they would have given. Frustrating given all the work they would have to put in. So check the specific schools to see their policy on stacking scholarships.

We have a year to prep, but hoping many of you senior parents report the offers you get and whether they are based on the Hispanic Scholar award (especially if you land any big ones!)

I know they don’t release cutoffs for each state, but I do know one student from NYS who had an 1150 last year and qualified, so I’m feeling a bit more hopeful that my son’s 1300 might qualify him.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope 2022 brings great college decision and merit news for all of you waiting!

2 Likes

Our EFC is $464K :sob: because they included our retirement rollover as income. :grimacing: I don’t know what it would be without it. But a rough estimate based on a table I found online should put us somewhere in the $40K’s too. A&M told us they could adjust with the 1099 R if we wanted it to be true and accurate but that with our income it wouldn’t change anything that we still make too much to qualify for any aid. SMU told us to submit the 1099 R and they would adjust on their end (cost of attendance is much higher, might make a difference). So we did and I asked if they could give us a new EFC number but I haven’t heard back yet. So if we applied for this scholarship we would have to report the official EFC that FAFSA has on file of 464K and perhaps be able to attach an explanation that it is artificially inflated with an estimated new EFC if SMU provides us with one. But we still might make too much anyway. Hard to tell. I can’t find anything with any parameters about their income scale for $500 vs $5000 awards.

1 Like

Nothing that I have found, but I will double check.

1 Like

Deleted.

Were you able to submit the application?

No. I put in a help ticket on their site.