College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Big change at Texas A&M for the national recognition scholarship. Their website now reads:

*The number of offers made by Texas A&M University are subject to fund availability. This is not a guaranteed scholarship.

When my daughter applied and was admitted last year it specifically said it was a guaranteed scholarship same as the national merit scholarship.

Her scholarship letter does say it is a 4 year scholarship. So I guess for new students some will get this 4 year scholarship and some won’t.

The national merit scholarships are still guaranteed but national recognition scholarships are no longer guaranteed.

2 Likes

I saw this recently, I’m waiting for my daughter’s award letter from A&M (she was accepted on 12-1-23) I’ll update you when we hear if she received the NRP award. She is an in-state student FYI.

3 Likes

No, my son did not get the recognition scholarship at Fordham. They gave him $10K merit and $20K financial aid. Brings it to about $53K. That’s a hard no! He did get a fantastic package from Case Western ($43,500 merit and $8K financial aid) so that’s about $34K. Still above our budget goals but great price for CWR! I don’t think Case gives anything for NHM recognition but I’ve heard they are trying to increase diversity. Hope everyone is doing well with their college search! My son’s top choice, Northestern, might come out tonight so patiently waiting…

3 Likes

@AmyIzzy I think our two boys are applying to similar schools. I keep seeing you on the same boards. I’m sure yours keeps you more in the loop than mine does. I have to do a lot of reminding, refocusing, and redirecting! Waiting on Northeastern too and actually we’re pretty excited about Case Western so it’s good to hear that they can be generous. Tho he applied pretty late in the process. Btw, it’s been several years but my nephew got a nice scholarship from Northeastern for being a Hispanic scholar & national merit commended scholar. Im sure things have changed tho.

1 Like

Yes, we travel in some of the same circles here. My son is pretty independent but definitely needs some reminders to stay on the ball. We have an understanding that I’ll stay on the sidelines as long as he keeps me in the loop on important stuff. Seems to work well. Good luck with Northeastern & all the other schools. Appreciate the info on Northeastern. I’ve heard similar stories but none very recently so just going to wait and see and hope for the best. We’ve had many conversations that he’ll find a good college home no matter what and to just have a positive attitude and keep the faith!

1 Like

We received my daughter’s financial aid award yesterday from A&M, and her NRP Award was not there. I’ve reached out to financial aid, I’m really hoping it is still coming.

1 Like

My son’s isn’t either. I wish we knew how they determined who got it. We’re going to Aggieland Saturday this weekend. I’ll ask and post here. Someone commented on facebook that all the awards have been given out.

1 Like

I got a very sad generic answer when I emailed the question in the Aggie One Stop:

Howdy!

I encourage you to view the college board website for the National Recognition Program as it states when awards will be given. Keep in mind that this award is not guaranteed but based on funding.

This didn’t really answer my question. I tried calling but couldn’t even get in the cue. I’d just like to know if all the funds are distributed and how they determined eligibility. My daughter got admitted fairly quickly, so this is definitely disappointing. Some transparency don’t their part would be nice. I’m going to try and continue to contact them.

1 Like

Yeah. Their answer doesn’t make sense. The CBNRP gives the award but A&M gives the scholarship. Keep in mind they don’t really tell anyone how they determine eligibility for any of their scholarships beyond the basic minimum criteria and then it is competitive and funds available. But, Your student should keep periodically checking the financial aid portal in howdy and checking awards to see if any appear. Sometimes they appear after the May 1 deadline when students who were admitted and given scholarships don’t enroll. Then their scholarships are distributed to other students.

1 Like

Yes, continue contacting them and keep checking her awards portal. Maybe some funds will become available if students withdraw. I’ll let you know if I hear anything tomorrow at Aggieland Saturday.

It’s helpful to hear these exchanges about current HSF recipients. We definitely have measured expectations about money and communication! My senior son decided to apply for the Hispanic Scholarship Fund. He finally got through the application (it’s basically rewriting your resume-can’t they just ask for an attachment??) Anyway he’s going to look it over one more time before turning it in (due 2/15)

Did anyone get the Tradition of Excellence NRP award from USF? How much did you/your kid get?

My daughter did not receive this award, only the Green & Gold Scholarship (which was merit-based.) She has eliminated this school from her list, so I’m not following up with any questions with them on why she didn’t get the NRP. I’d love to hear from anyone else who may or may not have gotten it though so I can advise future students!

My DS got it yesterday after we emailed the scholarships office. Took a few weeks. He was awarded the Green & Gold Presidential award first. However, the NRP seems to be tiered or maybe the information on the website above is outdated. Either way, the process is far from being organized.
Why did your daughter eliminate this school? Do you mind sharing?

She is a figure skater and would like to continue that in college (USF has a team)-we lived in central Florida from when she was born until she was about 8 yrs old and my parents live near USF. So…it met some of her requirements. Ultimately, the vibe of CU and CSU in Colorado are more preferable to her. She felt like USF seemed too much like a commuter school and she wants to be in a college town. We live in Texas and she’s also considering A&M.

2 Likes

I realize we are just letting this 2022 thread keep going, but my sophomore daughter just got her email inviting her to apply for NRP! I was surprised because her 10th grade PSAT was I think 92nd percentile, I wasn’t sure what the cutoff was because my senior son was always 99th percentile. I think they are potentially doing a better job with identifying students eligible. Last year we had to find out about this program ourselves and so my son submitted not really sure if he was eligible. Now I’m just hoping that some of these scholarships stay around for at least 2 more years!

4 Likes

Congrats to all the new NRP students.

I thought I’d follow up because I’ve followed this thread for over three years now. My son received this award as a sophomore, so was not ready to be applying to school back then. We had learned about the National Hispanic Recognition award — but by the time he received this, the program was merged into the NRP that covered other URM as well as students from rural areas.

We dug in and explored a lot of schools that were mentioned in this thread over the last couple of years. Unfortunately a number of schools had reduced or even removed merit awards specific for this program in the time that my son was exploring colleges. In general, the move to “test optional” during COVID also seems to have changed the landscape at some schools my son explored as merit that was once reserved for students with the highest test scores became more focused on GPA or other factors.

My son was also a National Merit Commended Student and had a 1500+ SAT once he applied to school. It’s funny because we would generally agree that test scores don’t necessarily predict success. However, just like other kids use their strengths when they apply to schools, my son used his. Of course he is bright, but he just does really well on standardized tests and always has. His unweighted GPA was 3.85 and he had seven IP/AP courses with some additional honors courses. He could have taken more and made a conscious decision not to.

Our DS college list is really focused on large public universities as he wants to major in an area that is generally not offered at private LAC. He focused on large public universities with honors colleges so that he could enjoy a “smaller” cohort experience, smaller classes, the ability to register early (and hopefully graduate in 4 years), honors student dorms, etc.

The only school where he received merit specific to the NRP is University of Alabama. No surprise there — full tuition + one year room + $1000 per year + honors program admittance. It’s a great deal, and he was offered a fee waiver to apply. He applied here as a “safety” because we did not know what kind of merit he’d be offered elsewhere. Unfortunately Alabama does not offer his preferred major (although he could have majored in a similar area and plans to go to grad school anyway). We found Alabama to be really well organized and if he had not started to get good offers elsewhere, we would have liked to make a visit. DS ultimately turned this down.

University of Alabama Huntsville was another school that offered DS a fee waiver to apply. There was no specific NRP scholarship, and he was offered exactly what we expected based on the automatic merit listed on their website. He never explored honors program as he’s decided to go with one of the other schools. This is another school that has great merit for good test scores/high GPA.

Penn State — we knew it was unlikely he’d get any merit here. Well, he received a $4000 one time award. Not nothing — but also won’t put much of a dent in college costs. He’s still waiting on Schreyer Honors College decision.

UW Madison - was hoping that he’d get considered for Mercile J Lee scholar program. UW made it on his list despite not having an honors college (they do have an honors program — but not as comprehensive as other honors colleges). We have family in this area so he pursued this option despite it otherwise being “too big”. Was hoping that he might get lucky enough for MJL as DS is a kid that could really benefit from the smaller cohort approach that this program would offer. While we were told that these scholarships are not all awarded, it’s likely he would have been offered this at admission — so not counting on this and unfortunately school will probably fall off the list.

Univ of Delaware - offered about $3k more than the online calculator indicated (for a total of $13k), which was nice —but not compared to other offers. Was offered honors admission here.

Iowa State - offered full tuition George Washington Carver scholarship plus merit that “stacks” worth another $10k over four years. Admitted to first year honors. DS applied in June (immediately after completing his Junior year) and again, this was a “safety school”. We’ve all been incredibly impressed with the school at this point. Since June it has never fallen off his radar because they communicate with him all the time. We were able to visit and felt like it is a good fit for him. This is one of the programs that always says NRP Scholars are invited to apply to GWC scholars program. We had no idea if any scholars had actually received it in the past — so wanted to highlight that this did work out for my son. For kids that may be anxious about the college application process, they have such an easy admissions process. He was admitted about 2 hours after applying and anyone can do a calculation online to determine if they will be admitted. Thank you state of Iowa for creating a low stress way for kids to think about college! In addition, DS has some health issues and filled out the Iowa State accommodation documentation. We were preparing for several months of discussion on this — his accommodations were approved in THREE days with documentation we already had on hand.

Florida State - offered out of state tuition waiver, admitted to honors, and invited to pursue Presidential Scholar award (semi-finalist). We’ll see how this plays out.

Anyway, we are all glad this is coming to an end (or a “new beginning”) soon here. We’re happy we “chased” merit. Although we are fortunate and our DS could pursue some of the more expensive options here, he gets it and has started to ask what makes a degree from one school worth $100k more. We’re hoping to save the money we saved for his undergraduate years for his graduate school years and beyond. He realizes we sacrificed a lot to save the amount of money we did for his college education and understands the value of that money.

Best of luck to all your students. In the end we really are happy that my son received this NRP award. He’s a kid that did not believe he could go to college and make it (he has had different health struggles throughout his life). This award made him start to challenge those assumptions. While the amount of mail he received from colleges killed a small forest, we are happy that he started to think bigger about what he might be able to do one day.

9 Likes

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your DS’s story including the details of the schools. I am impressed with Iowa State, and it’s nice to have more info here about it as the Midwestern schools so often get overlooked on CC.

5 Likes

I have a couple of NRP students, and we learned of the changes to the program as they happened. My older student was a high school senior in 2019, and back then it was awarded only to the top 3% of test takers (cut off was 97 percentile) for the targeted demographic (i.e. top 3% of Hispanic test takers, or top 3% of rural test takers, etc.) . Only the 11th grade PSAT score was considered back then, and the AP pathway didn’t exist. When my younger student earned it, the program had expanded so that the honor is now awarded to the top 10% of PSAT test takers for the targeted demographic, and now sophomores can be eligible as well if they score high enough on the PSAT 10. Students can also qualify via the AP pathway even if their PSAT or PSAT 10 score(s) are not high enough. I’m guessing merit scholarships given by various universities for this honor have declined since there are many more students who earn NRP awards. In any case, it’s a great honor to have on your application!

1 Like

I could have written those exact same sentences about my S23. He is also heading to Alabama on the NRP scholarship and planning to use the savings for study abroad and graduate school. His intended major is International Studies. They probably won’t have a lot of common classes with your son in CS, but they might end up in the same dorm. Very thankful for the program and Alabama’s offer. He applied for it in response to an email from the College Board before I even knew anything about the program. He was originally looking at LACs but after we visited Bama in early December he became much more open to the idea of a bigger school. The campus, the weather, the dorms, and the Honors program all swayed him in the end.

4 Likes