College Rescind Cancellation

Who is the president?

What school, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

The president of the organization

This is from the UCā€™s

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™m going to bow out because I donā€™t understand the world of high school research and conferences. It does not sound like anything I have ever encountered.

Good luck sorting this out but in the future you canā€™t use anyone elseā€™s work verbatim, including your own. The school you applied to probably used plagiarism software and you were caught.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for your help!

If this is an issue that you mentioned an event where something you wrote was presented at a conference and UC is concerned because your sister claimed this same honor, it seems like the organization president can write a letter to the UC on the organization letterhead explaining that both you and your sister wrote the material.

If this is something about you copying something you wrote in your essay from something else thatā€™s different. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m able to help with unless you provide more details.

3 Likes

This is more that I re-wrote what I wrote in that essay written by my sister and I

So they think you are plagiarizing your sisterā€™s work? You can have the organization president confirm that you also wrote the material, but as is noted in a prior post you cannot plagiarize your own work either.

2 Likes

Yes. What should I do then?

What is the timeline here? You mentioned the UCs. What exactly did they tell you? Is your application not going to be considered because of this? You mention being rescinded at the top of the post. You canā€™t be rescinded if you havenā€™t yet been accepted, right? I know youā€™re upset but letā€™s get the details right to see what you might be able to do in your predicament.

If it is the UCs, this might be something a little different. The UCs have a process where they randomly select some students and have them verify something in their application.

Check carefully what the email or letter says. If it talks about UC verification then it is a random process and they are not accusing you of anything, but you still have to answer their question.

Google UC verification to see if that is what might have happened to you.

Edited to say I meant to respond to the OP, but hit the wrong reply button.

4 Likes

@Gumbymom can you comment on the UC verification process and see whether you think this student might be one of the ones randomly selected for verification ?

I am thinking they might be, especially since I think UC verification happens mid-January.

Of course, the OP might be right and they are being flagged for other reasons, but I was hoping you could tell them what to look for.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, this could be UC verification. Can you post what the email states?

UC selects a random sampling of applicants who are required to verify information in their application. The selection and notification takes place in late December. Applicants are notified by postal mail, email and text message that they have been selected for verification along with instructions on how to meet the requirements. Applicants are asked to provide original documentation to verify one item from the following sections on the UC Application: academic history, honors and awards, extracurricular activities, volunteer work and community service, special program participation, employment or information contained in the personal insight responses. The instructions sent to the selected applicants details how to complete the process as well as a list of appropriate documentation. Appropriate documentation could include official transcripts, a letter from a teacher, counselor or coach on letterhead, or a copy of a certificate or award. Letters from a counselor, teacher or a coach can be emailed to the UC Application Center directly from the counselor, teacher or coach. The deadline to respond is January 31, 2022. Failure to respond to the request by the deadline will result in cancellation of the application.

This information is from Ms Sunā€™s website.

3 Likes

They said "The personal insight responses should reflect the studentā€™s own ideas and be written by them alone. Students may receive advice on content and editing but the work must be their own. Students must not plagiarize/copy from sources in print or online nor use any other personā€™s words or published works.

It has come to our attention that your response(s) may not be your own and therefore, your application will be cancelled to all the UC campuses you applied to. If you have already received an admission decision from a UC campus, your admission decision will be rescinded. You may submit an appeal to this decision by logging into and clicking on ā€œReply to Cancellation Noticeā€ no later than Friday, February 4th."

I havent been accepted but I dont know if my application will be read

Yes it was " The personal insight responses should reflect the studentā€™s own ideas and be written by them alone. Students may receive advice on content and editing but the work must be their own. Students must not plagiarize/copy from sources in print or online nor use any other personā€™s words or published works.

It has come to our attention that your response(s) may not be your own and therefore, your application will be cancelled to all the UC campuses you applied to. If you have already received an admission decision from a UC campus, your admission decision will be rescinded. You may submit an appeal to this decision by logging into and clicking on ā€œReply to Cancellation Noticeā€ no later than Friday, February 4th."

So not a random one sadly.

Thatā€™s what I thought. How many essays do you think are flagged? Just the one with the research?

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, it looks like they did run it through plagiarism software.

I think the ideas above about getting the organizationā€™s president to write a latte of support is a good one.

Is this something you feel comfortable sharing with your school guidance counselor or another trusted adult? It would probably be good to have an adult provide some insight and guidance for this process.

5 Likes

OP: Have you applied to other schools that you would like to attend if accepted? Did you use the essay in question for other schools?

3 Likes

A direct questionā€¦are any of the words in your personal statement identical to the words in what was your sisters personal statement portion of her application?

Did you both quote an identical portion of the same paper you coauthored?

Sounds like you were flagged by an automated system that identified your words as those previously submitted by your sister.

5 Likes