Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

and this just came out

Ok but if we’ve got 90 percent vaccinated on a campus then why mask? I’ve been commenting on schools that have mandatory vaccine requirements also requiring masking.

No one has suggested or pushed back that there aren’t breakthrough cases. The reality is that the rate is very low.

Most breakthrough cases are in people who can’t mount adequate antibodies post-vaccination, so elderly people, immune compromised, etc. Many breakthrough cases are asymptomatic. There will be breakthrough cases for the rest of our lives (unless covid disappears). If you want to talk more about this, maybe post on the inside medicine thread?

1 Like

Wow. Why so hostile? Isn’t everyone else posting about breakthrough cases and maybe the need for masks in college? Do you not want to hear from an “actual” student? I don’t get what the problem is with offering a different perspective?

Colleges are cruise ships that confer degrees. Before Thanksgiving it’s likely we’ll see mask policies on campuses again. I type this as a person that hasn’t worn a mask in several weeks(other than in airports or medical facilities).

1 Like

No hostility. IMO posts on breakthrough cases are more appropriate on the Inside Medicine thread. The details behind the breakthrough cases are critical to understand.

2 Likes

should this be on the inside medicine forum?

You posted an entire article on breakthrough and Dr. Fauci.

Yes, and that was a mistake (but I did tie it to something that is critical for schools
providing a benefit for those who choose to get vaccinated, and/or ultimately get boosters).

Ok. So we will stick to college talk only. I just can see a bit of how it can go hand in hand when discussing the reasoning behind some colleges mandating masks.

I think you are probably right. I also think that many schools will never go back to masking (those in the south, big sky country, etc.).

I do think schools that reinstate strict protocols may risk consequences of lower applications, transfers, etc.

I listened to an info session today by a school that is mentioned often on these boards, one which had flat applications this cycle
even after going TO. They attributed that to their conservative policies starting in fall 2020, and the presenter noted that the Trustees were unhappy with flat applications.

3 Likes

I think it will be tough on schools to keep the mask mandate if numbers are low. I also think (as Tufts hinted) they will revise masking policies as numbers indicate.

I can see schools switching policy based on outbreaks etc. I thought we would be back to normal in the fall but with the variant spreading, it’s anyone’s guess.

1 Like

School board meetings are going to be fun :see_no_evil:.

1 Like

Great. Masked up forever apparently. I know some school districts out here have already decided mask optional. (Chicago suburbs).

And I bet schools in the south will have zero masking. They never masked in the first place.

So even if vaccinated - this young group needs to mask. We are heading for stricter protocols even though we have much lower numbers. These mandates will cause more people to not get vaccinated.

4 Likes

School board meetings are going to be very stressful. I work in an elementary school that is anti mask, anti vax. Parents didn’t want masks last year (they lost) and will certainly not want them now.

In the meantime we have teachers coming back (many were out all year due to health) who might have to teach unmasked kids - unless the state mandates them for kids under 12.

1 Like

My brother’s HS is trying to enforce vaccines and they are dealing with major pushback, lawsuits and kids transferring out.

School Board meeting here this week. The antimask/antivaxxers are rallying and signing up as many as possible to speak. The leader wants national attention (and was at the U.S. Capitol on 01/06).

That might be the way colleges address the issues as well. Ultimately it’s a choice to attend college and if you don’t like the rules and policies you’re free to go to a different one whose policies align with your preferences. It’s not simple, quick or easy but it can be done if it’s that important.

I wonder if schools will entertain new gap year requests if Covid masking, social distancing etc
rules are re-instated.

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t think colleges will have a choice if the numbers climb.

1 Like