Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

I would assume that it’s easier for a school district to mandate masks than vaccines since the former isn’t a bodily autonomy issue. If an area has a severe vaccine hesitation/ refusal issue then mandating masks would be a logical policy to keep the schools safe.

2 Likes

This is why I was trying to ask the colleges on D21’s list if they would accept gap year requests if their plans changed drastically over the summer. I couldn’t get a real answer out of any of them. Last year, when Bowdoin made its plans in July, they gave kids another chance to request a gap. If things so south for fall, I hope some schools make that an option. At this point, I’m trying to not be too pessimistic. If cases stay low on a campus where practically everyone is vaccinated, I have to think faculty and students alike are going to want as normal of an experience as possible. Our kids are at rural LACs in states that have very low transmission and high vaccination rates. I hope that informs their decisions.

2 Likes

My friend took a GAP from Stanford last year. They are requiring vaccines and only testing unvaccinated BUT…
face coverings may still be required for everyone, regardless of vaccination status, in certain locations such as classrooms, all healthcare facilities, and public transportation. Updates will be added as we get closer to fall quarter.

They just removed the biggest carrot for parents to get their kid vaccinated. It should be up to the local school districts and departments of health. Hopefully districts will have the courage to literally follow the science. What a garbage recommendation.

4 Likes

IMO kids under 12 should be masked at school, but unless it’s mandated by the Governor then it won’t happen in my district. Last year the Governor mandated masks at the last minute. Prior to that it was incredibly stressful, and sparks were flying.

Completely agree! I’m hoping that schools continue to make independent assessments based on vaccine compliance within the student, professor and staff community. I can see masking for the first week or 2 especially if there are international kids arriving who aren’t vaccinated. But that should be short-lived.

2 Likes

Northern Cali will be a tough nut in almost any circumstance. Hope it works out for your friend!

1 Like

But what if the numbers climb and they almost all in the unvaccinated population and the whole college is vaccinated? I hope colleges have the guts to do what’s right for their locations.

With all due respect, why in hell would anyone want to mask healthy kids??? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

3 Likes

Thanks…me too

1 Like

Based on comments here, it looks like most schools cannot protect the medically vulnerable.

1. Vaccination rates are too low in both the school community (students / faculty / staff) and surrounding community that the school community interacts with to provide herd immunity. Immunity from natural infection added to vaccination will take time to bring total immunity to higher than 80-88% needed for herd immunity if B.1.617.2 / Delta has an R0 of 5-8. Note that vaccination + natural infection needs to be somewhat higher than 80-88%, since some vaccinated or previously infected people are not immune enough to avoid breakthrough infections.
  2. Almost no one here and elsewhere wants to continue “COVID-19 school” with masks, social distancing, and other restrictions, although resistance tends to be highest in places with lower vaccination rates.

Probably the best that can be done for the medically vulnerable is for schools to continue offering distance learning for them to the greatest extent possible, at least until enough unvaccinated people get naturally infected to bring immunity to herd immunity level (which will take quite a while). It will be a poor educational experience for the medically vulnerable, but it may be the best possible, since the vaccine opponents have basically vetoed getting anywhere close to herd immunity in the short term, and there is too much opposition to continuing “COVID-19 school” for everyone.

The schools (at least those with only students who can get vaccinated – approximately grade 7 and up) can then give people what they want: lift all COVID-19 restrictions, go back to pre-COVID-19 “normal”, and don’t worry about COVID-19 outbreaks or trying to force people into quarantine, since infections and sickness will largely affect those who made the voluntary choice not to get vaccinated. I.e. give people personal choice with personal consequences.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I just think if numbers rise it will cause us vaccinated to be masked due to the chance of breakthrough.

kids under 12 should never be masked. this was proven last year.

2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/us/iu-covid-vaccine-mandate/index.html

Leichty’s ruling also pointed out the state of Indiana’s longstanding requirements for other vaccinations prior to going to school.

“Indiana requires all public university students to be vaccinated for diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, and meningococcal disease before attending school. All but one of these vaccinations have been required since 1993,” the ruling said.

In denying the motion, the ruling also points out the university allows for certain exemptions, including religious and medical reasons, and said that students therefore have “multiple choices, not just forced vaccination.”

1 Like

Do all states offer some type of remote learning?

I agree that medically vulnerable will have to take precautions for a long time. Vaccinated people are not much of a risk to medically vulnerable people.

1 Like

I wish. I’m sure our high school has a very very high vaccination rate. They haven’t made a call on masks yet. I’m afraid they’ll pull some BS like “even though our population is vaccinated at 90 percent, many students here have siblings who are younger and not vaccinated”. If that happens? On go the masks. People will be furious. Our town did an amazing job and getting the 12 and up crowd vaccinated.

2 Likes

Because they can’t get vaccinated, and they will be taught by teachers with health conditions (diabetes, organ transplants, etc) who are way too young to retire.

I would feel differently about masks if this age group was vaccinated. If teachers start to get sick with Covid, or if they need to take off again… guess what will happen? We will have a teacher shortage like we did this past year. Being fully open with a lack of teachers- means a poor education.

Last year our 3-11 year olds were fully masked, and they did not complain. The parents complained.

4 Likes

Before the pandemic, how many knew kids under 12 who wore costumes with full head masks? I bet it was everyone, especially with the explosion of Marvel and DC feature films this past two decades.

Kids can handle wearing mask.

2 Likes

that was on halloween… not every day of the year …all day while learning.

2 Likes

Some classrooms are so hot in September. It’s crazy to put these kids in masks all day. Have the teachers get vaccinated and stand behind plexiglass with a mask.