Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

You would be surprised what young kids will do. Our kids wore masks in school all day - 8-3- without any issues.

1 Like

If they are vaccinated they don’t need a mask!!

3 Likes

they will do what they are told but they shouldn’t have to.

I agree, but people are saying teachers are so worried. So let them get vaccinated and if they are still worried THEY can wear the mask. leave little children alone.

1 Like

and here we go!!!

1 Like

As of now it is recommended that kids who are not vaccinated wear masks in school. If the Governor mandates it, it will happen. If not, many kids in my district will likely not be masked.

Parents can’t complain if experienced teachers with health conditions take off again, and the students are once again “taught” by very inexperienced subs. If you choose the behavior, you also choose the consequence.

It’s an elementary school. These kids will not be vaccinated. Last year a group of kids from our school had a sleepover. Guess what? They all got Covid and the grade was home for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I work in a middle school. Here virtually all teachers were vaccinated. I think there were two who were not. I know they’d love to be maskless in Sept.

2 Likes

And I am sure some parents who can will home school their kids or move them to private schools.

Last year many people throughout the country did this, and for some public schools it has resulted in lower enrollment, significant enough to have a lower share of funds coming from the state.

You are right.

sadly

I’m also confused about the Texas dem Covid test positive percentage. There were 50 state senators and 12 staffers on that plane and 5 tested positive. That’s 8%. Compared to the .01% rate in the article about breakthroughs in Massachusetts
something is amiss. I hope it’s the senators tests because if not then the vaccines aren’t working as well as we think.

1 Like

Looks like schools (K-6, 7-12, college) have the following choices:

1. Have COVID-19 restrictions like masks etc. to protect the medically vulnerable and reduce the risk of outbreaks. Students and K-12 parents will complain loudly about the restrictions.
  2. Start with no COVID-19 restrictions, but impose them when an outbreak occurs. Students and K-12 parents will complain loudly about the restrictions.
  3. Start with no COVID-19 restrictions, let outbreaks occur without imposing any restrictions. Students and K-12 parents will complain loudly about letting the outbreaks occur unchecked.

Which would you prefer?
Which do you think the schools you are familiar with will choose?
(answers may differ for different kinds of schools)

I think the issues are different for ages under 12 and 12+.

The science supports masking under 12s because they are unvaccinated.

As of right now, the science doesn’t support masking vaccinated people
there is no data to suggest they are a risk to others, and the rate of breakthrough infections is very small, so no need to wear a mask to protect themselves or others. (although vaccinated people could still choose to mask up to protect themselves from breakthrough infections, or protect an at risk person they live with). The recommendations can certainly change as Delta progresses, and/or a new variant arrives.

I expect schools to follow the science. Not emotion. Not parents with deep pockets.

1 Like

In the Illinois article about breakthrough cases -they are only tracking breakthrough cases resulting in hospitalization or death. So are there a lot more out there that we don’t know about? Florida Rep Vern Buchanan is fully vaxed and now has COVID with symptoms.

Those percentage probably are not comparable. Indeed, if 1 infected and 61 uninfected but vaccinated people were sharing that airplane and its cabin air (seems like an ideal superspreader situation), but only 4 out of the 61 got infected from that event, then 93% of those there did not get infected. That seems like an expected rate of protection from COVID-19 vaccines. It also looks like those testing positive had either no symptoms or very mild symptoms.

1 Like

Breakthrough cases are definitely undercounted, as many are mild, or asymptomatic (so the person isn’t going to go get a covid test). The CDC addresses the undercounting here:

The number of COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC likely are an undercount of all SARS-CoV-2 infections among fully vaccinated persons. National surveillance relies on passive and voluntary reporting, and data might not be complete or representative. These surveillance data are a snapshot and help identify patterns and look for signals among vaccine breakthrough cases.

Data on patients with vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died will be updated regularly. Studies are being conducted in multiple U.S. sites that will include information on all vaccine breakthrough infections regardless of clinical status to supplement the national surveillance.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

2 Likes

Where I live, the private schools very strictly followed the mandates. WRT social distancing, masks, no travel w/o quarantining upon return, etc They were required to wear masks while playing sports, indoors and outdoors. No spectators except parents. Parents were not headed to private schools to escape Covid mandates. In fact, there were many loudly complaining the private schools’ rules as well but did not get anywhere.

1 Like

I would think there are many asymptomatic and symptomatic based on the breakthrough hospitalizations and deaths. It’s not like the breakthroughs would only be severe cases.

I don’t know about private but many folks flocked to the parochial schools here because they were in school full time. They did wear masks, but that was about it. Public schools had more restrictions plus students were only attending 2x/week.

3 Likes

in regards to switching schools (after 18 yrs public), for us masks had nothing to do with it:
It was all about the education.

In march 2020, our 80+% low SES income district quit all teaching in the name of equity, We believe the school’s mission is to teach – but it wouldn’t teach; even to those who had the resources/electronics to learn. It was all or nothing.

I was incredibly frustrated watching our neighbors at private schools or in other districts having classes and learning for that last spring quarter; I was scared about how the school district planned to handle it going forward fall of 2020. I know others left for that same reason; not the masks.

my biggest concern going forward is the lack interest by the gen Z crowd. . . . 42% vaxxed. what?

1 Like