Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Not really. The under-12 crowd doesn’t have the option to vaccinate yet. I do feel for families with younger kids but the ones I know are taking it in stride and masking up in hopes that vaccines will be here for their kids by the end of the year.

So I just found out I was exposed to Covid this week when two people who are fully vaccinated came to visit me in my yard and they just found out they now have covid. They did not have symptoms when we hung out but they do now. Me and my family are getting tested today and now I’m making aware to everyone I’ve come in contact with this week about my exposure, including my doctor’s office. My nerves are rattled, especially as my D21 has to provide a negative test result to move into her dorms soon. I also have a child too young for the vaccine. I have no idea about how prevalent covid gets transmitted outside between vaccinated people.

Are you fully vaccinated? Is your daughter also?

1 Like

So sorry to hear this. With luck your family won’t get it. Outside, all vaccinated, and no symptoms chances should be slim hopefully.

We leave in two weeks for move in/pre-orientation/vacation. I’m super paranoid that our trip might get screwed up, the worst case being my son gets Covid. We are all vaccinated and masks are currently recommended here. I’ve been wearing a mask indoors but the boys don’t want to until it’s required and they are still going to the gym 🥲:grimacing::pray:t2: I will be so entirely po’d at my husband if that happens.

1 Like

My kids college requires vaccination, but there are exemptions. The college states that unvaccinated students must wear masks and socially distance while on campus. So I’m curious where they will be housed, in dorms with vaccinated kids? In singles? I’m wondering if other colleges have addressed this issue?

I have read of unvaccinated people recently diagnosed with the Delta variant who had original COVID in Spring 2020. The felt they had “natural immunity” but they were wrong.

4 Likes

University of San Diego just announced masks will be required for everyone indoors, starting August 2 and until further notice. They had already required vaccines by August 1 for all faculty, staff, residential students and those attending in-person classes.

1 Like

Outdoor is much lower risk than indoor or enclosed space in terms of avoiding COVID-19 from a contagious person. Despite the scary stories about breakthrough infections, being vaccinated is still a lot better than not being vaccinated. Of course, other circumstances can matter, like were you in very close proximity of (e.g. hugging a lot) or directly downwind of the contagious person?

Did the infected people previously do something higher risk, like eating and drinking in a crowded indoor restaurant or bar? A high dose of virus is probably more likely to break through immunity from vaccination or previous natural infection.

1 Like

Absolutely! But I have a a child under 12 so I’m totally on edge for her. We were outside the entire visit and it was very windy but I absolutely know there is a risk. Our family result will arrive in the next 24-48 hours. We are locked down for now.

They think it was exposure at a Dodgers game even though they wore masks the entire time. Otherwise no indoor dining for them or socializing with anyone else except us. We hugged once at the end of our visit…sigh :slightly_frowning_face:. My 8 year old did not get a hug. We live near the beach and our property is situated in a way where the wind swirls…it’s not uniform at all. It was very windy that night. I’d say we had 4 feet of distance between us. Basically I’m just gonna be stressed till we get our results.

Sorry, yes my whole family is fully vaccinated except my 8 year old which is why I’m so stressed out.

1 Like

Immunity from prior infection with a different variant may also have somewhat lower effectiveness against the current variant, similar to immunity from vaccines based on a different variant.

Also, note that neutralizing antibody levels from natural infection tend to be quite variable from person to person, like what results from one dose of a two dose vaccine.

prayers to you and your family. my mom was exposed a bunch of times including by me-before the vaccine. thankfully she never got it.

1 Like

Unless you’ve spent a lot of time at close range with these two visitors in your yard, I think it’s highly unlikely that you would get it. Hope your test result come back negative.

2 Likes

Very helpful. How is “several” defined? 10 days before a test? Seven days? Thank you.

When any of us were exposed before vaccinated, our doc told us to quarantine for five days and then come in to test.

Ty, trying to plan for trip to Canada, need to present negative test at border.

1 Like

Anyone’s kids going to college in Florida? Yikes.

Business Insider: Florida nightlife going wild amid Delta surge, college students partying.

1 Like

Sort of shatters the stereotype of today’s college students being woke and socially responsible.

5 Likes

False negative: How long does it take for coronavirus to become detectable by PCR? says that " The average incubation period for COVID-19 is 5-6 days (although it can be up to 14 days), and researchers estimate that people become infectious 2-3 days before they develop symptoms." I.e. after 2-4 days after infection on average, the virus would be detectable, but it could take longer for some people. So probably 4+ days before the test would be a reasonable pre-test quarantine, or more if you are worried about being at the tail of the distribution of incubation periods.

1 Like