Colleges requiring (or not) Covid vaccine for fall 2021 megathread

University of Illinois Champaign Urbana is requiring the vaccine. https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/university-of-illinois-to-require-covid-vaccine-for-students/

1 Like

That page says that “According to the school’s COVID vaccine website, the vaccine is required for those who are able to do so if they plan to be on campus with no additional health and safety obligations.”

Although it puts “required” up front, it actually looks like students can choose between vaccination or such things as mask wearing, frequent testing, etc. (“required … if they plan to be on campus with no additional health and safety obligations”). There is no mention of an need for a waiver or exemption from the school for students who choose the latter.

The original post is editable by all users. Please feel free to add, thanks!

2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/us/iu-covid-vaccine-mandate/index.html

Leichty’s ruling also pointed out the state of Indiana’s longstanding requirements for other vaccinations prior to going to school.

“Indiana requires all public university students to be vaccinated for diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, and meningococcal disease before attending school. All but one of these vaccinations have been required since 1993,” the ruling said.

In denying the motion, the ruling also points out the university allows for certain exemptions, including religious and medical reasons, and said that students therefore have “multiple choices, not just forced vaccination.”

3 Likes

I added Lawrence University to the OP. Lawrence will require COVID vaccination but will allow exemption “for medical reasons, religious belief or personal conviction.” They warn that lack of vaccination could result in different treatment in the event of an outbreak.

UC’s now will mandate vaccinations for all Faculty, Staff and Students.

https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/2021/07/ucs-covid-19-vaccine-policy.html

2 Likes

Northwestern University, Northern Illinois University, the University of Illinois System, Loyola University Chicago and DePaul University, among others, have already announced they will require vaccinations for in-person learning.

2 Likes

The judge also rejected the argument the mask mandates for those with an exemption infringe on religious liberty.

9 Likes

BU to Require Faculty, Staff to Get Vaccinated for Fall Semester | BU Today | Boston University BU to Require Faculty, Staff to Get Vaccinated for Fall Semester

5 Likes

I heard on the radio that U of Michigan change its direction and is now requiring vaccines for all students, faculty and staff by August 30. COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Update | Michigan Medicine

Michigan State is requiring the same by August 31. COVID-19 Vaccine | TOGETHER WE WILL | Michigan State University

2 Likes

As expected, after the California UC system made Covid Vaccinations a requirement, the Cal States follow suit.

1 Like

Northeastern to require faculty and staff to be vaccinated.
Northeastern to require COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty, staff this fall - News @ Northeastern

4 Likes

University of New Mexico has mandated Covid vaccinations for all faculty, staff, students. And for community members who wish to use UNM facilities (like the swimming pool or performance spaces). Not just for the main Albuquerque campus, but all the satellite campuses as well.

https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.html

New Mexico State University is requiring Covid vaccinations for all employees starting Sept 30. Exempted, unvaccinated employees (regardless of the reason for their exemption) will be required to undergo weekly Covid testing.

https://news.nmsu.edu/2021/08/nmsu-system-to-require-covid-19-vaccinations-for-all-employees.html

Update 8/7 the local community college system will require Covid vaccinations for all faculty, staff and other employees and all students attending in-person classes.

4 Likes

The issue was that it was not “simply stated factually.” There was commentary included. This thread is informational only. You are welcome to edit the flagged post to delete the commentary and/or discuss your opinions on another thread.

1 Like

President of University of Minnesota system has moved from encouraging vaccines to requiring them once FDA approval comes (and the Board of Regents agrees.)

3 Likes

No, but being a rather educated grouping, most of us are pro-vax.

This particular thread is for information only about colleges, because otherwise things can get heated and not everyone enjoys reading that. Other threads have discussion on them if you want to join in there.

Welcome to the site! (GC is in my neck of the woods. :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

According to my local news station, Dickinson and Franklin & Marshall (along with Gettysburg) are mandating vaccines for students:

I like to double check sources prior to making changes, but don’t have time right now. If someone else has the time, and if true, can edit the first post, I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

The University of Ottawa in Canada is requiring all students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated. I believe it is the first major Canadian school to mandate this.

4 Likes

UNC system either vaccine or weekly testing for all

3 Likes

As I posted earlier, Northeastern University will be requiring weekly COVID tests for all faculty, students and staff in addition to requiring all to be vaccinated. This is an article explaining how that testing will be done. They also describe the air filtering devices installed in campus buildings.
How Northeastern is prepared to track Delta and other COVID-19 variants on campus quickly - News @ Northeastern