Colleges that merit scholarship for finance/Econ/Biz majors [TX resident, 3.98 GPA, top 5% rank, 1550 SAT, <$45k]

Looking for input on colleges that offer merit scholarship for undergrad Finance/Econ/Biz majors

It may help others help you if you mentioned:

• Student academic qualifications (e.g. unweighted GPA, rank if considering Texas publics, SAT/ACT scores, etc.).
  • How low the net price after scholarships needs to be.

Child has 1550 SAT, TX resident top 5% (3.98 unweighted GPA)out of 730 kids in class. Considering both instate and out of state schools. Hoping to keep cost under 45K per annum as we have another kid in college. We do not qualify for financial aid

Does your student happen to be a NMSF or a National Recognition Scholar? If so, Fordham’s Gabelli school of business offers some full tuition scholarships.

2 Likes

Looks like any Texas public university falls under $45k even at list price without scholarships (but the student may get some scholarships at some of them).

Given the stats and budget, a large range of scholarships is possible, although the list would be huge. What preferences for colleges does the student have?

1 Like

Not NMSF, child is commended

Student qualifies for auto admit to Texas A&M, but Mays Business School fills quickly and is most likely close to full.
Unless NM S/F, can’t count on money from A&M.

Student needs to search each school carefully when applying, as Econ isn’t necessarily in business schools; it is not business at UT or A&M.

UArk pretty much gives in-state tuition to Texas students with solid gpa & scores (I feel certain your student would qualify).
UArk, Texas Tech and UH have great business schools, Commended, SAT & gpa might get scholarship $. I’d think all state schools (TX) will be under 45k, easily.

Super important to get applications submitted asap!

Kid is a little confused on schools. Going by suggestions from friends and family and interest to work on wall street, kid is leaning to apply in the NE but not quite sure on schools with recruitment prospects in that price point.

How can we find out if Mays is closed? Kid is almost ready with the app

Perhaps these pages may help in the case of Wall Street recruiting:
https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/job-search/comprehensive-list-of-target-schools-for-investment-banking

University of Texas Austin seems to make these lists.

1 Like

@Best2021 unfortunately no way to find that out.
Mays accepts 1,125. Hundreds - thousands applied on August 1, acceptances started earlier this year at TAMU, which means it’ll be full sooner. It normally fills between mid October and start of November.
Economics is a large major-Arts & Sciences-shouldn’t be a problem getting accepted to Aggie Econ, if auto admit.
Housing deposit (at A&M) opens when student gets accepted, so everyday your student waits to apply, puts them lower on the list for spring dorm selection.
Make sure applications are complete-have them checked and reviewed by a teacher or counselor.

That statement is very broad…What type of job on Wall Street?

Look at Marist, Lehigh, Trinity College, Conn College, Bentley, Bryant, Fairfield. I don’t know if any will get to your price though. He will likely get the most merit at Marist. Run the NPCs, especially if they include a merit estimate.

He has direct admit to UT austin too correct? Is that app in?

ETA: Stevens Inst of Tech

2 Likes

It would be a LONG shot for OP/student to get into McCombs Business at UT…even Commended/1550/top 5%/TX resident.
Econ probably, McCombs doubtful.

Unfortunately, I do not think any school in the Northeast with a track record of grads getting into investment banking will fall within your budget.

One possible exception is Baruch College, which appears on one of the feeder lists referenced above, but that is a commuter school and I don’t think it has a big advantage over UT-Austin or A&M.

I really think the Texas schools are his best bet. If he is concerned about getting into the program he wants, he could look at Brigham Young or Arizona State which are both on the investment banking feeder lists attached above and might make it within budget.

2 Likes

I didn’t see OP say IB, just wall street.

I do agree the TX schools would work and present opportunities…many banking jobs in Dallas, for example.

You are right. I guess I jumped to conclusions, guessing as to why people were advising OP’s son that a school in the Northeast would provide an advantage.

1 Like

Your Texas privates, TCU, Baylor, and SMU could also make budget with merit scholarships that would go with those stats.

1 Like

Thank you. Sending in apps this week, hopefully not too late. Applying to SMU along with other TX state schools. Will look into all suggestions provided above.

I would apply to Baylor also, great business school!
Economics is in Hankamer Business, and students can double major w/in business school.

SMU with BBA Scholar would be an excellent choice. He could also try IU Kelley.

Most top NE business programs will be above your budget.

If he wanted to hedge bets for Mays or McCombs he could look at Ohio State Fisher or UGA Terry. South Carolina if he’s interested in international business.

If he doesn’t mind a little more math then maybe Industrial Engineering? Georgia Tech would be a fit for business or IE. S20 is a senior ISyE. Excellent program.

1 Like