COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>You guys ‘crack’ me up</p>

<p>Can we please recap the best prep? So far I’m planning on taking my laptop into the bathroom and catching up on the entire CC site.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>demerol has largely fallen out of favor these days, so I would guess that drug would be far less likely to be given.</p>

<p>In facilities which use RN’s to give sedation, usually it is versed/fentanyl.</p>

<p>In facilities which have switched to general anesthesia (propofol and possibly a very light dose of versed/fentanyl), only anesthesiologists or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) will handle the medications intraprocedure (at least in my state-some states allow RN’s to give propofol under certain conditions).</p>

<p>crester, which prep you do is largely influenced by what your physician’s preference is. Which is not to say you could not negotiate that.</p>

<p>My patients always report less traumatic preps if they really wind down on the solid food even the day before the prep. If they are prescribed the huge gallon jug, then they often achieve “clear” results much earlier than they would have otherwise and therefore might not have to chug every last drop. Patients often report that the last glass or two is just mentally and physically very difficult to keep down.</p>

<p>Timely link: The fellow who “invented” the colonsocopy in 1969 has died:</p>

<p><a href=“Dr. William Wolff, 94, Colonoscopy Co-Developer, Dies - The New York Times”>Dr. William Wolff, 94, Colonoscopy Co-Developer, Dies - The New York Times;

<p>Yes, how timely, VH. So sorry to hear that he has “passed”.</p>

<p>OK for those of you smiling at all the puns and wordplay here, you really should read the posts in this thread starting at # 92. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe-election-politics/912505-obama-set-poor-example-getting-virtual-colonoscopy-3.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe-election-politics/912505-obama-set-poor-example-getting-virtual-colonoscopy-3.html&lt;/a&gt; I dare say (to quote bogney in that other thread) it is your “doody” to read that thread. You will really laugh your a$$ off.</p>

<p>The prep I was told to do was actually a clear fluid only fast starting at midnight the night before the prep, started the prep the next evening, was completely clear with less than half the jug, and I had my procedure early the next morning. The only reason my prep was remotely uncomfortable was because it took me six hours to drink half that stupid jug and I spent the entire time hiding in the bathroom for no reason because I was expecting hell and damnation that never happened. It was tortuously tedious.</p>

<p>That, and I was afraid that even though I was clear that it would turn out I really wasn’t because I had drunk so little of the prep and they’d just make me do it over again, so I ended up drinking the entire jug even though I didn’t need it and ended up having no control over my bowels for half the next day. That was just great.</p>

<p>Okay, after 184 posts, this thread has finally come to an END…</p>

<p>oops… hoping this is not a JOKE!</p>

<p>My prep required that I have a can of clear broth for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the day before the procedure. I also had to consume a 64oz. bottle of apple juice. Those two alone kept me busy. At 3 o’clock I was to take 2 Dulcolax tablets and at 4pm start drinking the Miralax/Gatorade mix. I had to drink one glass every 10 minutes for 8 doses, then repeat at 10 pm with 6 more doses. The next morning I was allowed clear fluids (including coffee!!) until 2 hours before my appointment time. I was never uncomfortable or feeling nauseous. I had Versed and Demerol and an RN monitored me.</p>

<p>H had his at a different place. He had the big jug prep. He didn’t think it was too bad but it seemed to me that I was less urgent about a clear path to the bathroom. He was monitored by an anesthesiologist but I’m not sure what drugs he was given. He was much more unsteady on his feet afterward than I was. BUT he didn’t say he wanted to play the ukulele…</p>

<p>So you can expect to miss 1 and 1/2 day of work and work 1/2 day on clear liquids only. Can I get my… “annual exam” while I’m “under”? That would be really efficient.</p>

<p>“Can we please recap the best prep?”</p>

<p>For me (who has completed 3 colonoscopys) the best prep were the tablets taken with water but my last doctor would not prescribe this prep method, opting for the “big jug” instead.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Your doctor will give you detailed and precise instructions – when to stop eating solid food, when to start the prep drug, how much fluid to take and when, etc. It will vary, but in general, you’ll start taking the drug approximately 18 hours before the procedure. My advice – just follow directions to the letter. My doctor told me to pay careful attention to the instructions on fluid intake. If you’re well-hydrated, they can give the maximum sedation. :)</p>

<p>If you’re asking which drug – you could talk to your doctor about the least intense one. But really, for me, the “big jug” wasn’t horrible. </p>

<p>And the … err … effects of the drug aren’t as bad as, say, having a violent intestinal bug. The drug does its job, efficiently and thoroughly, but I didn’t have alot of cramping and pain. Just urgency, so yes, don’t stray far from a bathroom.</p>

<p>I really thought the prep I did was easy, especially compared to the last one I did. Four Ducalex in the middle of the afternoon, followed by the Mirolax in Gatorade (forget the ratio) which was spread out over some time. As our GI poster said, the last bit was hard to swallow so I just didn’t because I could tell it wouldn’t matter. No bad taste, no painful cramping, just the need to stay very, very close to the bathroom and still needing to visit the bathroom right up until they put the IV in. Anyhow, I really recommend this process because I didn’t have to give up food until the day of prep (although I agree eating lightly the day before is wise) and the Gatorade made me feel so full that I didn’t really feel hungry at all. It was a kinder, gentler cleanse than I’d experienced the previous time and it did the job.</p>

<p>It’s not so bad.</p>

<p>DH and I are both scheduled, different days. They use versed and demerol, no general. </p>

<p>I was told no ‘pill’ - it tends to dehydrate. Miralax w/Gatorade.</p>

<p>I have jars and jars of clear, home made chicken stock (no salt) in my freezer, hope that will help.</p>

<p>Let us know how it goes. The chicken stock will be a good choice. The more hydrated you can stay, the better. It will also help the nurses get your IV in easier if you are hydrated.</p>

<p>I have finally scheduled mine for mid-November (almost 2 years later than I should have). I am not looking forward to it, but there is comfort in knowing all of you folks lived to tell your tales! :)</p>

<p>You’ll all do fine and be so glad to have it over with, hopefully for 10 years. Don’t forget my suggestion that you suck on lemon drops during the prep day. When they dissolve, they are a clear liquid. I found they were my very favorite thing during the long days (I’ve done this six times) without food.</p>

<p>The last thing I wanted to think about after doing the Miralax/Gatorade bit was ‘hydrating’ by taking in any more liquids - I was ‘liquided’ out by then. After taking the solution I simply didn’t drink anything else and it’s never been a problem. I also had no problem fasting beforehand so I didn’t bother with jello, soup stock, etc.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>For people who don’t have the greatest veins to start out with, the dehydration which comes with the laxatives can make it very challenging to find a vein when starting an IV. We’ve never had anyone we couldn’t eventually get an IV into, but personally I want to avoid having to have an IV put into my neck because they couldn’t find anything else!</p>

<p>Men tend to have nice big veins compared to women, but not always.</p>

<p>All that said, I’ve never done the prep, but I have been told numerous times that it’s really difficult to get it all down, so I could imagine not wanting to drink anything else after gulping down a gallon of Nulytely. It might very well come right back up after going through that ordeal.</p>

<p>I didn’t drink much after either but I figured after all that gatorade I was okay and I tried to drink earlier in the day.</p>

<p>Good for you, kelsmom!</p>