COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

I had polyps removed less than two years ago, and I didn’t have any dietary restrictions afterwards. Maybe it depends on size?

1 Like

True. However, the precancerous polyp that they removed 14 years ago might very well have taken more than 10 years to grow into cancer if it had been left alone.

I am mostly just glad that the precancerous polyp is gone and was never given the opportunity to grow.

I am wondering whether this has anything to do with the size of the polyp (or the size of the largest of your polyps). It would make sense that a larger one might have more potential for bleeding, and might take a little bit longer to heal.

I don’t think it has to do with size. H wasn’t placed on any restriction after his giant one (at times they called it a polyp, other places a tumor). I believe it was 2.5” but I’d have to go back and look. Seems huge but I remember looking at the size on the chart and googling and thinking it was much bigger than the walnut that google said polyps could grow to. It was so large they had to dismantle it in pieces. And he now sports a tattoo at the site so they can check there at future visits (he was on the 6 month, then 1 yr than 3 year plan)

And no mention of diet after

edit: 2.5CM not inches. Makes more sense

1 Like

I assumed that the post-colonoscopy diet was due to the larger polyp (10mm, in the ascending colon). There were also two smaller ones (2 to 3mm in the priximal rectum).

in Recommendations (and also mentioned by nurse): Eat a low residue diet and no raw fruit with skin or uncooked vegetables, nuts or seeds for two weeks. I may call today with questions about it. Of course I do have some jello and white bread to eat up :wink:

Called the GI office. Sounds like my diet (after polyp removal) needs to be soft foods. The nurse sent me a pdf list of some soft foods… Per another resource online I think that avocado is OK (which is good - it’s a high fiber food that I like).

5 Likes