COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

There is a version of the prep procedure where you do the second dose only a few hours before your appointment. That might work better for you. You might ask your doctor about it next time. I’ve had this kind of prep and I hate it because the timing may not be perfect and therefore there might be a risk to your driver’s car upholstery. But if it means that you don’t have to come back every two years, it might be worth it.

Ummmmm – no thank you.

@VeryHappy Well, if you don’t want the risk, the alternative is Depends. But it doesn’t seem possible to buy one Depends undergarment, which is all you need. You have to buy the whole box, and 5 or 7 or 10 years from now, when you have your next colonoscopy, you won’t remember where you put that box.

My doctor put me on a 3 year schedule after finding 5 polyps. The schedule may vary depending upon number or size of polyps, but not everyone recommends 5 years for follow-up.

^ I think there are different follow-up schedules for different types of polyps. My husband and I have both had polyps and are on different follow-up schedules even though our colonoscopies were performed by the same doctor.

My schedule: During the first exam, the doctor found a sessile serrated adenoma. Follow-up five months later, then another one three years after that (yesterday). I did all the prep exactly as told - the last dose (32 oz) five hours before the exam - but I wasn’t totally clean. The doctor found no polyps, but wants me to have another test in three years.

ADVICE!!! If people have a hard time getting a needle in your veins, drink LOTS of water, even after the last big dose of Gatorade/laxative. I didn’t, because it wasn’t mentioned in the instructions, and they said I was dehydrated. It took FOUR tries for them to get a needle in me. Almost 30 minutes. I was not happy. Right hand, left arm, left hand, then the right hand again! I have bruises on both hands. Three different nurses “worked” on me. One said, “People don’t realize they need to drink more water after they finish the prep.” Uh, well, nobody TOLD me to, and I felt waterlogged, so I didn’t know I should drink more. :frowning:

The next time, the doctor said I should “super prep,” whatever that means. I guess I’ll find out in three years.

They gave me conscious sedation, which worked fine. I knew what was going on the entire time.

@MaineLonghorn, you must have been pretty dry if it took three nurses to get your IV. These nurses do this all day every day, and while they might occasionally miss, they are usually pretty good. Being dehydrated definitely makes it harder to get the IV catheter in; it’s even harder in someone who doesn’t have great veins to begin with.

Sorry you had to go through all that.

They are probably going to give you Golytely next time or some kind of several day prep. :frowning:

I think I had the dehydration issue. too. I normally have sticky out veins but she had a job finding one. Ended up with the IV in my wrist. And with massive bruising for several days. My instructions did say to drink lots of liquid - at least every hour - the day before, before the prep started. I think I was a little lax on that part.

@Nrdsb4, I am a notoriously difficult stick. The Red Cross asked me not to come back. I have tiny veins which are deep and “roll.” Every time I go in, I warn the technician or nurse. They usually say, “Oh, I’ll be able to get it,” then 80% of the time, they can’t. I feel bad for them, because THEY feel bad, ha! They always apologize about five times.

As I’ve said before, I don’t mind the prep, even if it’s harder next time. I just read that they think a third of colon cancers come from the type of polyp they removed from me in 2012, and I have an increased risk of colon cancer in the future. I will do anything they tell me to!

I asked for a 2-day prep for my first colonoscopy which was 2 weeks ago, and I eliminated fruits, nuts, vegetables, and high fiber bread for 3 days before the 2-day prep and ate lightly as well. I wanted to make sure I was perfectly cleaned out. So happy to have the 10 year reprieve!

I have a terrible time with IV insertion. I have small veins. When I go for regular blood draws, I always remember to drink about 16oz right before I go and the nurses usually can find a vein. When I had my last colonoscopy this summer, I didn’t drink anything other than the prep. This time, the nurses had a terrible time getting the IV in. I became upset as they went from arm to arm, hand to hand, all of us getting more and more frustrated. This was far more anxiety-provoking than any part of the prep or procedure. Next time I’ll remember to drink more than just the prep.

Right before you go to a lab or IV insertion, if you have a drink of water, even if it is only 6 oz, it will help you and the nurse a lot to find your vein. I don’t think a load of 16oz of water is necessary.

^^My instructions said no liquid, not even water, during the 4 hours prior to the appointment time. So be careful about the above advice.

Yes, follow the doctors instructions exactly. Mine said not a single swallow of liquid 3-4 hours ( I don’t remember how much) prior, or your procedure would be cancelled. Maybe afraid you’d throw up and choke on your vomit? That’s part of why you are so drained for your procedure, and potentially very unsafe to do differently than what the instructions say.

I was told nothing at all to eat or drink after midnight. It was one of the first things the nurse asked me.

When you are sedated, your protective instincts re:aspirating stomach contents are diminished. Aspiration pneumonia can be fatal. So anesthesia providers follow the guidelines regarding consuming liquids prior to procedures very strictly. And for good reason.

Yes, my instructions said no liquids for four hours before exam. My last prep (32 ounces) was five hours before. So I guess I should have been drinking a lot for an hour.

My instructions have always been “nothing after midnight” so I don’t know how you wouldn’t be dehydrated after beign on nothing but liquids and then drinking laxatives that make those liquids shoot through you. It wouldn’t matter how much I drank the day before when it all comes right out the back end within an hour anyway. My hands are typically shaking by the time they’re doing the IV and I have a dehydration headache. I’m always glad when they start the IV because the headache goes away!

There is hope for the younger generation… not as much torture:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-eating-rule-before-a-colonoscopy/

Ice cream? I’m in. :slight_smile:

Not drinking even without laxatives is very hard. I just gone thru that for the liver ultrasound. I cannot even imagine how I would feel without liquids and with laxatives…but it is coming, I promised to my family to make an appointment for the second part of June. I am soooo NOT looking forward. I have a strong feeling that something bad will happen during procedure. But it will be my last one unless something is bad there. After that, I will be at the age when it is not recommended. God, help us all!