COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

@MiamiDAP, the only thing hard about a colonoscopy is the prep. You drink a lot with the prep, you just can’t drink anything for several hours before the procedure. As soon as they start your IV, you will be given fluids to help with dehydration. The actual procedure is a breeze. Nothing bad will happen to you during your procedure, as long as you are going to a reputable facility with good doctors. I’m sure your daughter will vet the facility and make sure your physician has a very good reputation.

You will be A-okay!

Timely revival of this thread. I just got a call from the colonoscopy doc’s office. Apparently I am on the five year plan.

I can’t believe it’s been five years.

The good news is that they don’t use the gallon-of-yellow-gatorade prep any more. The bad news is the prep they gave me cost $50! Although it’s worth $50 to me to not have to choke down a gallon of gatorade,

I just had my first one a few weeks ago. Followed the no fiber (no fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts etc) diet for 4 days before the prep. Not being able to eat those foods was the hardest part. Rediscovered white bread and pasta - yuk. The prep was not nearly as bad as I imagined. I mixed the miralax in unsweetened ice tea which I drink all the time anyway. Not even a sip of water 4 hours before procedure. The procedure itself is a breeze since you are out! They didn’t even find a single polyp :slight_smile: so I’m good to go for 10 years! I waited 12 years after the suggested 50 years old, so it will be nice not to have my doctors nagging me all the time now!

Thanks for the reassurances! " the only thing hard about a colonoscopy is the prep" - I heard many horror stories in cases of older patients, which explains that none of you here think so, while I am much older than vast majority on CC. In fact, my granddaughter will be applying to colleges next year! “The procedure itself is a breeze since you are out” - and this is what I am afraid the most - being out. I never allowed anybody to put me out and I have had 7 implants in my mouth, all of them being done with me not being out at all, I want to know what is going on with my body and I am very afraid of being out. And the perforation rate at my age is much higher than in younger people and then your quality of life is very impaired for the rest of your life. I am still going to do it mainly because my family is pushing me. Just thinking about it is depressing…and ruining my day.

@MiamiDAP, you don’t have to be “out” if you don’t want to. I’ve had patients who didn’t use anesthesia, and they did fine. You can have them put in the IV, just in case you change your mind after you get started.

Would think that the risk of moving while on the table if one was awake could increase the risk of an accidental perforation.

@MiamiDAP, how old are you? I’m 67. And I’ve had three colonoscopies. (I’m on the five-year plan.)

nrds, "you don’t have to be “out” - thanks, I will check this option, I did not know about it, will talk to my D. about it.
VeryHappy, I am a bit older than you. D. said that colonoscopy is not recommended after 75, unless you have an issue.

@MiamiDAP I have had both of my colonoscopy exams without any anesthesia. (No IV, no versed, etc.)

Wide awake, instant recovery, no problems. If you research this, you will find this is very common in Asia and Europe. My experience here in TN is you might need to find a doctor that is willing to do this, as some will not. My GI says he does only about 4 or 5 per year this way.

I experienced about 2 or 3 30 seconds periods of mild discomfort during the most recent exam. It was very similar to bad cramps, but it was over very quickly. I do have a high threshold for pain. I also delivered both my children without any medications. Compared to that, the colonoscopy was not bad at all.

I know some people prefer to be “out” and not feel any discomfort, but for me, this was the better plan. YMMV.

melbert,
Very interesting. I definitely will consider it. I have one place in mind, I have to check with them. The reason that I am comfortable with this specific place is that my H. had several of his done by them but he was out. I do not have a high threshold for pain at all. In fact, I am way too sensitive. They have to use large dosages of Novocain in dentist office for me and they have to wait longer for them to take effect, my dentist already know that. They had to put me out during my c-section delivery despite of spinal because i started feeling in the middle of the c-section. I delivered my first kid naturally without any drugs at all, but it was horrible 13 hours ordeal. My after c-section recovery was also filled with pain. But 2-3 mild feelings for about 30 sec. sound extremely attractive! Thank you for sharing!

Is there some level of sedation between being out and being stone cold sober?

DAP, even if you choose no anesthesia, I think it won’t be horrifying. I woke up once, just for a second, and it was like a bad gas cramp.

Well, I talked to my H. about “no anesthesia” option. He said that in ancient time they used not to put you out for the procedure, so he has had his first one done without anesthesia. He did not have a good experience at all, discomfort was great. I wish I had the easier time deciding. Every time in my life that I did not listen to my own instincts, I got hurt one way or another and this bag of experiences is a great obstacle to overcome. I will be living with consequences, I would not be able to make them go away.

Can you ask if there’s some middle option, maybe sedation of some kind?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I didn’t read all 72 pages of posts. Isn’t there now a home testing kit that you can do instead of the colonoscopy? Does it actually replace the colonoscopy for most people? Is it what most doctors are starting to prescribe now when you turn 50?

http://www.cologuardtest.com/

Thanks for sharing, b1ggreenca, let see what my personal doc. will say. I shoot the link to my D.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13313874/1/exact-sciences-tumbles-on-colon-cancer-screening-snub.html

Cologuard snub by FDA causes stock price to tumble 43%.

There is a disclaimer on the website: “Cologuard is not a replacement for diagnostic colonoscopy.”. So, here is the answer that I probably will hear from my D.

My reading of the sentence about diagnostic colonoscopies is that Cologuard isn’t for high-risk individuals. But the sentence was written ambiguously.

Look into a virtual colonoscopy. No sedation is required.

Here is the doc’s response about Cologuard:
“Yes it’s new test and often expensive. Still the best test is a colonoscopy where they can actually look in your colon and see if anything is abnormal and take samples if needed. If that cologuard test is positive they would have to do a colonoscopy anyways. But cologuard is definitely better than just doing a stool test for blood”