Columbia Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Thank you!

I do alum interviews. They’re not required and not getting one doesn’t mean anything. I’m sure it can be helpful, but I’d wager they can be more harmful than anything else (e.g. saying “I love this candidate!” is fine, but saying “This candidate really isn’t prepared to be at Columbia and doesn’t have any interest in the Core.” is damning.). They’re not assigned so it’s not like your daughter was skipped over.

4 Likes

many top tier schools have more steps in the FA process…probably just needing extra info…nothing more

Does anyone know if Columbia sent out or is planning on sending out ‘likely letters’ this year?

Honestly if no one has received one by now, its a little late in the game to receive one :thinking:

Likely letters were out yesterday. On reddit many received it.

Many have received them in another thread.

They were sent out on 3/24/21 in the afternoon.

I feel so amazing to have not received one :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does anyone else find it weird so so so many people on reddit thread got a likely letter? Did they just send a bunch this year? Or are some people lying? Maybe I’m just salty I didn’t get one hahaha but just a thought…

2 Likes

This.

Likely letters are rare and they almost always go to people who fill a big need that isn’t academic like athletes, tuba player, poet, activist, etc. Almost all the people on reddit that claim a LL don’t have or don’t admit to that type of spike.

2 Likes

I know I felt so bad (and still do) that so many people got likelies. Either I didn’t get in, or if I did, I’m at the bottom 1% of the admit pool. Sucks

1 Like

If you are a not an athletic recruit, there is a 0.5% chance of receiving a LL. People are unduly focused on LLs, particularly when they decision is only 2 weeks away.

3 Likes

do you think there is going to be another wave with the likely letters? I heard previous years had a second wave of likely letter.

1 Like

I doubt so considering they released them so close to ivy day

They are some cases where applicants received their LL 10 days before the decision date. The answer is only the admission committee knows!

1 Like

My daughter received a Likely Letter two days ago from Columbia SEAS as well as notification as a likely Named Scholar. Very excited but still leaning towards Caltech. Looks like we have two campus visits to cram into April now that we are all vaccinated.

3 Likes

Sorry kind of late to this but what is a likely letter?

A “likely letter” is an admission tool used by highly selective colleges and universities. It notifies the school’s top choice prospects in the regular applicant pool that an acceptance letter is likely to be coming in the future.

What Is a Likely Letter in College Admissions?.

1 Like

It’s an Ivy League thing where before decisions are released they send a letter saying you are likely to be admitted which really means you will be admitted. Very common for athletes and very rare for regular applicants. Generally means the applicant has something very unique the school wants/needs.

1 Like