Columbia Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Columbia Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 1

4 Likes

any RD get an interview?

1 Like

Submitted my application on the 31st of December and still haven’t gotten an email to set up my portal. Is this normal? I emailed admissions and still haven’t heard back from them.

3 Likes

i haven’t.

5 Likes

DD submitted on 12/28 and received email with link to portal the next day (a confirmation email of the application with link to portal).

1 Like

Hey my DS submitted his on Jan 1 and got a portal that week. Check your spam folder or call to see what’s going on

1 Like

Just got an interview. International applicant.

2 Likes

Great! Good Luck!

1 Like

Daughter (NJ) just got email for interview. I’m kind of nervous for her already.

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

Good luck to her!!

2 Likes

received an email for an interview! Does anyone know how people are selected for interviews and if it is a good sign?

They try to offer interviews to as many applicants as possible based on alumni interviewer availability. Details here: Interviews | Columbia Undergraduate Admissions

It’s neither a good nor bad sign.

1 Like

D23 got interview email but is stressed about it. Doesn’t really want to do it. Does that basically eliminate her from consideration?

No not having an won’t affect the decision, almost never on its own.

But your daughter should see the interview as a great opportunity for her own development . Ask her to make a checklist of the resons why Columbia appeals to her, how she would use its resources, and what she would like to do at Columbia.

Ask her to think about the relevance and benfits from the required courses which are educational gems and which will serve her all her life.

Alumni are nice people who want to see all applicant become successful and happy individuals, where ever the students end up going ! :blush:

She can see the interview as a great opportubity to share her values, interest and creativity, and on how she thinks Columbia can help her blossom as a young adult.

We love all of our candidates and are privileged to meet them.

3 Likes

I’m just curious about how/why some kids are interviewed and others aren’t. Do you have any ideas about that?

Me too; my D applied Regular Decision, so I’m trying to not read into not getting an interview request as a good or bad sign.

Same

2 Likes

I do not know the answer to that. However, you might call the admissions office and ask about this question ?

Also, you could ask if it is possible to request an interview if you ( your son or daughter) want one ?

See the interview as an opportunity to prepare a checklist of important points for you, and for by thinking about points important to you for your college studies and development.

Preparation for an intervoew develops you. It might be considered as a first step in college, along with the personal statement.

Only good things can happen if you prepare a checklist of key points for you and want you want to get out of the resources Columbia ( and any where else) has to offer.

Look at the opportunities and resources at Columbia. Then think about how these features relate and connect to your own personal ambitions and interests. Be your own self and delve deep into the resources and opportunities Columbia can offer and relate tehm to your own intellectual interests and passions.

Then, you can not go wrong. :blush:

1 Like

I don’t think it will impact her negatively if she doesn’t want the interview, but it is definitely a good way for the school to get to know her that she didn’t have the opportunity to say in the essays. I told my D23 to go over the essays that she wrote for other schools and see if there were things that she didn’t get to say in her Columbia essays. After reading other advice from CC and FB groups, I told her that she should just see it as a two-way getting-to-know-each-other session. My D23 just finished her interview, and it was very engaging. She saw it as getting to know someone at the school she wants to go to and an opportunity to find out about the inner workings of the school through someone who goes there. I think the thing that helped the most was just having a bunch of questions prepared for the interviewer (things you can’t find easily on the website).

1 Like