COLUMBIA TRANSFER: Fall 2021

might also be Barnard

1 Like

Kind of a mini-rant here, but I dislike it when people who were admitted to Barnard or go there say that they got into Columbia or go to Columbia. I know the relationship that they have with one another and that Barnard is a fine, selective school in and of itself, but they are still technically two different things and two very different admissions processes. Not to sound pretentious or anything, but I’d probably say that 95% of females who get into Columbia would also get into Barnard, but only like 20% of people who got into Barnard would also get into Columbia. It just reminds me of someone I know who got into Barnard and everyone was like “oh she’s going to Columbia” and even put in their IG profile Columbia 20xx, but I feel like that’s just wrong.

I am very sorry if I am coming off as an elitist or anything. Just something that always pops into my head when people bring up Barnard-Columbia.

4 Likes

Man, you stressed out about your finals? :smiley:

Barnard student who was accepted to both Columbia and Barnard for freshman admissions here. Many students that I know at Barnard were accepted to both Columbia and Barnard, and other than that many women simply applied to Barnard and not Columbia because they felt Barnard was more suitable for them (not because they thought they “couldn’t get into Columbia”). I write this as I sit in my Columbia class that’s half-Barnard and half-Columbia students to tell you that nobody cares at all when you get here. The professors don’t ask, you have access to opportunities at both schools, and if you care about the “Barnard-Columbia dispute” beyond freshman year, you’re one of the few. In fact, you will encounter many Barnard students in your classes and even more outside of that. If you go into Columbia having the attitude that Columbia students are better than Barnard students–or that Barnard students are not part of the Columbia community–you will not be received kindly by most. Just my experience from someone who actually is part of the Columbia community. Also, the acceptance rate for Barnard this year was 10% and Columbia 5%. If that 5% is such a huge deal to you then that’s simply elitist.

14 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:

I can confirm what the student says above. When I was at Columbia all my classes were mixed with Columbia and barnard students, except for the core classes and even there some barnard students might have been in those. Activities, clubs and doems were mixed. No one cared or thought about whether one was at Barnard or Columbia. Were were all together in the band, clubs, library, courses, dining halls and anything else. I always used the Baranrd library and thohght of it as the same as one of the Columbia libraries. The meal plan at the barnard Hewitt was great and mixed with both Barnard and Columbia students. No one thought one way or the other - we were all part of Columbia University.

Many Barnard students were brilliant, and my girlfriend was a student at Barnard. There was neever a conversation I can reacall about one school or the other; and never thought about it when we would walk cross Broadway to attend the two campuses - which are really one larger campus.

PS : The Columbia admissions this year for Class of 2025 was 3.66%.

Both are outstanding colleges and I leanred wonderful things from both for which I am grateful everyday in my working career and for my personal growth.

2 Likes

Thanks for educating me on this. I regret making that comment now that I know how the situation between the two schools really is. I didn’t mean to make a slight at students who go to Barnard–I am sure that they have plenty of students who I wish I was smart as!

1 Like

To be fair, I checked Columbia Biology web site and it says there are restrictions on substituting Columbia courses with Barnard courses. You can take classes together or do stuff together, but it does not mean they are the same.

Yes, as with any respective major at either school, there are restrictions with regards to which classes count towards specific majors. Nevertheless, both schools try to be as accommodating as possible past the three or four “core” courses. Regardless, any student from any college within Columbia University (Barnard included) may take 99% of classes at any other college. So far, the only ones I’ve seen that you must take at your respective college are senior seminars. However, this also might mean that GS may only take a certain course and CC may only take a certain course and BC may only take a certain course and SEAS may only take a certain course.

Thank you for reading what I wrote with an open mind! (:

1 Like

Just letting everyone know that I got an email confirming results will be released on the 21st. Good luck guys :slight_smile:

13 Likes

did you email them?

Yep, I emailed them first.

thank you for the information!

1 Like

oh my god I am genuinely so scared now

can u show us the email?

Sorry, I’m not really comfortable doing that since it addresses a specific question that I asked about my situation. If you don’t want to take my word for it, that’s understandable.

1 Like

Ahhh this news brings joy to my heart cause the uncertainty was worse but now I’m extra scared but I’m trying to be hopeful :))

Hey, I noticed Dartmouth had a waitlist…Do you guys think Columbia will have a waitlist as well?

I think last year they had one

Does anyone know approximately how many people Columbia accepts each year?