Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>nah man.. your career choice isnt a big deal...
but i found the science a bit hard...i didnt remember half of my bio stuff and that crap on nuclear fission was so random...</p>

<p>anyway... can anybody that took the exam last year tell us what they got....so i can kind of judge where i am...</p>

<p>thx...
....awaiting results in june....;(</p>

<p>You don't get your exam scores back, unfortunately. =(</p>

<p>Incidentally, I was all the way on the 2nd floor if anyone was there.</p>

<p>I'm a Junior and I totally BOMBED on the challenge section. I missed about 6-7 Math sections (1st math section) about 6-7 questions in science, and I only got like 3 problems on the Challenge section. (I just guessed to fill in about 14 choices, what do I have to lose anyway, if I answer just 3 I'm not gonna get in...so I'll risk losing 1/3 of a point)
I'm hoping that the class you filled in has some bearing on your admissions status...otherwise I'm expecting a major "REJECT" letter (avg gpa = 90)</p>

<p>Also, about 99% of everyone there was 100% nerd. No offense</p>

<p>im a sophomore and I think I did quite well.. =)
think i got all Qs right in both math part..[easy+challenge]
unless i got some of them wrong by stupid mistakes LoL
i thought the challenge part was REALLY gonna be something like IMO..
muhahahaha... poor me....
oh the science part was sort of hard..that's what worries me the most...</p>

<p>Ahh..I don't really expect much..
at least im glad this is all over!!!!! goodness</p>

<p>meh...even if I got in...i think I would be disgusted by the company, and just put it in my resume, lol</p>

<p>Half my reason for going would be to force my parents to let me hang out with friends on a weekly basis. In NYC. :)</p>

<p>do they give free metro cards</p>

<p>lols. I am junio and have taken honors trig, pre calc, as well as honros bio, chem and physics what are my chances of getting in? shud i review from the regents books in the weeks prior to the tests?</p>

<p>somebody answer my question cuz i didnt get in when i tried freshman year.</p>

<p>So is this program competitive, is there an admit rate?</p>

<p>300 people get in.</p>

<p>Does the recommendation count for a lot? I always fall asleep in my math class and bio class, so neither of my math/science teachers like me...</p>

<p>Also, I'm a freshman, so just because I didn't take physics or chem, will it be harder for me to get in? I'm okay at science, and I'm okay at math, but I got a 76 on the AMC's this year because I fell asleep and skipped ten questions.</p>

<p>When i took the test (2 years ago), about 270 people got in, and there was a roughly 14% admit rate. You can't really study for it, it's a very general exam. The good news is that it was pretty easy, at least when i took it. I took the test as i was nearing the end of bio, which was good bc the test was mostly earth science and bio, with some (maybe 6-8?) chem questions and only 2 physics related questions which were pretty obvious, even without having taken physics. The first math section is insanely easy if you understand trig, algebra, and geometry. I personally found the second math section very reasonable too. I'm not a math prodigy at all, but i do decently on things like AMC or math team tests. I think being a creative problem solver helps the most on the challenge math section, and that's something that you certainly can't study. </p>

<p>In short, just do your best on the test. Studying is probably a waste of time. Oh! but learn the law of cosines. That was unusually helpful on my exam :)</p>

<p>The program is great! The classes are challenging and the students are really brilliant, and there's no hw or tests. Consequently, i barely remember anything i've learned in my classes. Some of the classes are really boring, but if you get a good one, it's great. This is my fourth semester and i finally picked a good class, genetics lab. We use principles of bacteriology to make new subspecies! Haha, it's actually really fun, despite how it sounds. Sometimes you get a class that's too hard or too boring and nobody really pays attention...</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>There's no hard-and-fast admit rate, to my knowledge. My year was about 16%, and rates tend to hover around there.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Unfortunately, no. It's only two dollars each way, though.</p>

<p>Hopefully I will do well this time as I have a thorough understanding of trig and pre-calc as well as bio, chem, earth science, and physics. Also I almost qualified for the AMC so hopefully I won't do too bad on that section.</p>

<p>I took the examination and got in last year, without any pre-calc/calc courses prior to that. Algebra2/ Trig was as far as I had at the time. </p>

<p>The science section was pretty easy for me, because it was so random. Big advantage for my useless knowledge retaining brain. No one else from my school got in last year, or this year either, including a real good friend of mine who's going to harvard. If fact i don't think anyone from my town has been accepted other than me in recent memory. I took experiments in microbacteriology or something like that. It was an awesome course, but didn't help me get in, waitlist 4tw!</p>

<p>is there a sample of tht test?
i mean it be a lot of help</p>

<p>no they don't send sample tests. they're so cheap that they sent my school one app and told us to "reproduce this paper and distribute to students." psh
the test is this saturday :X</p>

<p>About how many do you need to get right on the test to get into the program? I mean, I've read people's posts on this program and they say the test is easy, but it can't be that easy if such a small percent get in!</p>

<p>and.....how much do they take into account your teacher recommendation for this? (i'm freaked out b/c my teacher STILL hasn't written mine!!!!!!)</p>

<p>it doesn't matter much. honestly from what I have heard the test is the most significant thing.</p>