Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>Hey, kwijiborjt.</p>

<p>I'm in the genetics class, too. :D The one with 2 Karens right?</p>

<p>okies. taking it tmrrrr... oh, if anyone cares, since like nobody is on here anymore, SINGAPORE DAY IS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO EVErYONE. its a good way to relax and unwind after the test... goodie bags. its at Wollman's Rink at Central Park.</p>

<p>yea, taking it tomorrow as well. and i'm not excited about it..partially because i know i won't get in and am not even close to being prepared for this exam...</p>

<p>but, whatever. i won't let getting an opportunity of wandering around nyc go to waste because of this exam :)</p>

<p>GOOOD LUCK GUYS. :) Best of luck to all your applicants.</p>

<p>haha, thanks. that was much needed...</p>

<p>I'm taking it tommorrow too.</p>

<p>yeah kinda last minute, but there really isnt anyway to study for this is there?
i mean I just learned about this program(as a junior) so I feel almost obligated to take this missed opportunity, but yeah good luck to everyone</p>

<p>what happens if the rec is late? is that automatic rejection?</p>

<p>haha...yea...can't rlly respond right now. a bit late...</p>

<p>but yea, i went there, and everyone was a freshman. and i couldn't help but think that they had an advantage over me because i was "old". </p>

<p>what did you guys think of the exam? o_O</p>

<p>Wooo...I dunno man that was intense. Math section was a breeze. I screwed up on a lot of the useless general knowledge science questions though (can't believe I messed up that question on bronchi, trachea, esophacus, pharyx in retrospect). Couldn't answer like 4 or 5 of the challenge math questions either; ran out of time :(. What did you guys get for the last one (with the sandwiches, coffee, etc)? It was an easy question but I was short on time and think I may have screwed it up. I hope my score is high enough that they'll bother to look at my rec/grades (cus those will get me in I think). Was anyone else scared by all the nerdage? There were several thousand hungry-looking asians around the campus when I went, it was rather intimidating...</p>

<p>i got 1.20. not sure if its right though. Math was really easy. Science was ok though. challenge math was really hard. I am happy us juniors have an advantage above those freshman. I hope the fact that I have done research at a college will get me in.</p>

<p>challenge math was definitely a lot easier than last year's...and im not even joking lol i remember last year's acceptance rate being something as crazy as 15:1 or something.. heard more than 3000 people applied for 250 spots lol
my guess is that more people hv applied this year..probably like 4000 for 300 spots? lol</p>

<p>I think the hard questions were kinda easy cause i think I answered about 9 questions right and I am only a freshman. I thought the science questions were hard because I only had biology honors this year.
It is true that freshmans have a curve or something because when I went to take the test I found out it was the same test for everyone.</p>

<p>oh, does any one know what was the answer for 25bsquared and 52b squared and had to find x. (I remember it was something like that).</p>

<p>Did you guys guess on questions, I guessed on about 50 percent of the science questions :/</p>

<p>science not s much maybe 5-10%.</p>

<p>a professor told my mom it was 2000 people for 300 spots.</p>

<p>wow only 300 spots</p>

<p>what percent of freshman get in, any one know ?</p>

<p>rlly? wow, tht's less people than usual...
of course, i wouldn't rlly know. this is my first year attempting to get in. honestly, i felt a bit out of place with all the freshmen and discussions on what questions were hard or not because i mean, once you're done, you'd think that people wouldn't want to think about math or science anymore for at least 6 hours...</p>

<p>whew...</p>

<p>i'm a homeschooled junior btw.</p>

<p>the challenge math section was really easy for me... very similar to the stuff i do everyday in my precalc that i've been doing for 2 years.</p>

<p>the science was a different story though :(</p>

<p>i forgot some biology from 2 years ago, and i didn't learn some physics/meteorology stuff.</p>

<p>remember that question about inheritable traits from mutations or recombination or whatever? i had no clue but i knew mutations was on it so i just picked the choice that had all 3. anyone know the answer?</p>

<p>i think it was I AND II. Basically mutation and recombination. not sure though.</p>

<p>...did anyone get that "25 base b" question? =_= i've never seen that kind of notation before (at least, not where the subscript actually modified the number). neither had my dad, and he's an engineer with well over a decade of math under his belt. </p>

<p>i thought the science section was HARD; i didn't know much about general science -- the science courses i've taken/am taking at school are pretty in-depth. (the disadvantage of being advanced at my school: we skip the general sciences class (PES) and go straight to honors physics/chem/bio.)
math -- the easy section was easy; challenge section wasn't as bad as i'd thought. i realized as i was getting ready to leave that i had done all of the work i needed to solve the last challenge question -- i just hadn't pieced them together. ;'[</p>

<p>so, how about everyone else? how well do you think you did? </p>