Comfortable Jewish population

<p>rodney, I concur with what Queen’s Mom said about “dumb” being a relative term. Our entire family fits in the category.</p>

<p>^^ here too…</p>

<p>Other schools to consider… Northwestern (my alma mater) and, for a less competitive alternative, University of Hartford (on the URJ list). In fact, when we visited Hartford, there were no tours so we called Hillel and a couple of freshmen showed us around. My D was playing Jewish geography with them in no time and had friends in common from NFTY!</p>

<p>She’s shooting for American, UMD or UDel. Many of the SUNYs have a large Jewish population: Binghamton (already mentioned here), Albany (about 1/3) and to a lesser extent, Buffalo. My D applying to all three. Towson, also with decent Jewish population, is her safety. She goes to a HS where there are few Jews and does not want to repeat this in college.</p>

<p>For schools that you’re not sure of, just email the Hillel contact listed on the college’s page at hillel.org.</p>

<p>Great thread. Thanks to the original poster. I’m always wondering if there are additional schools that might be a good fit for a Jewish student.</p>

<p>LINYMOM,
I have one son at American University and one at the University of Denver. Both schools have significant Jewish populations, both on campus and in nearby neighborhoods. I see that you are checking out American but you might want to check out Denver as well.</p>

<p>My son is a junior at Denver (studying abroad right now, as is 70% of his class) has been very happy there. The Hillel is in a new building that opened in the fall of 2007. There is also a very welcoming Chabad across the street from the campus. Both are very welcoming of students without respect to what denomination they are. He has found the academics stimulating and the advising has been top notch. Denver is a fabulous city affording students all kinds of opportunities and advantages.</p>

<p>My son who is a freshman at American also is very happy. He really likes his classes and professors so far, and has made friends from all over. So far he hasn’t gotten involved in Hillel–he has been to busy with all kinds of other activities–but he likes the rabbi a lot. Of course DC has all kinds of opportunities–he is already seeking an internship for next semester.</p>

<p>Hi,
How do find out the real number of Jewish Students attending a university, im finding very deceiving info.
Thanks!</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s possible to get exact numbers of the religious affiliation of students at a given institution because people aren’t obliged to report that information and colleges aren’t obliged to keep track of it. Why is it so important to know the “real number” as opposed to getting a general sense?</p>

<p>This thread is well over two years old!</p>

<p>David: Even though this is an old thread, I wanted to answer your question. I have emailed directly to the Hillel director at the college - they’ve been honest even when it’s bad news (i.e. University of Maine!). Go to the Hillel website or google Hillel/Name of College to start.</p>

<p>I was surprised to see JMU (James Madison University) in your list for Jewish student population. Although JMU has a small Jewish student body (around 1000) and it is in the middle of nowhere, Jewish life there is growing. Specially since Chabad just moved there and they are doing a terrific job. I would suggest you get in touch with them. Go to their website or just Google them. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck!</p>