Comparing Lewis & Clark with University of Denver

Anyone have experience with both Lewis & Clark and University of Denver? It would be for a CS major but also want a well rounded experience, a nice urban downtown nearby, a good travel abroad program, and friendly students.

Lewis and Clark is a small LAC, on the very edge of Portland so more suburban than urban. The law school is there for grad students, but there is very little interaction between the two schools. It is possible to get to downtown from campus by public transportation.

DU is urban, right on the light rail to get anywhere (airport, downtown, to malls or restaurants in the suburbs). It is bigger, also has a law school on campus but other grad students as well. It has D1 sports and does well in a few of them (gymnastics, lacrosse, hockey, skiing) and a great rec center with rock climbing, a big pool, ice skating, etc. The study abroad program is well known and most juniors spend a semester or year abroad; school program is to Scotland but there are others to choose from too.

Not sure what you want from an ‘urban downtown’. Denver has professional sports, state government, a better airport. Both cities have a homeless problem.

2 Likes

Denver is not downtown, and not really surburban, but rather in a residential part of the city. Lots to do right there, and as @twoinanddone pointed out, it’s right on a light rail route that takes you downtown in 10-15 minutes. Huge emphasis on study abroad – I think a majority of students take advantage of this opportunity, especially given the school’s strength in international relations. I happen to really like downtown Denver: good restaurant/performing arts/sports scene, and a couple of good museums. I know less about Lewis and Clark, except that Portland is a fantastic city, and there are plenty of opportunities to study abroad (the daughter of good friends is a rising senior there, just finished a semester abroad in Thailand).

Many thanks for both your replies. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to visit University of Denver. Lewis and Clark was the final choice made! It is known for its study abroad programs as well, which is a plus.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.