computer science-type education if majoring in math, not engineering?

My son was just accepted at VT, but NOT to his first choice, the engineering college. He was accepted to his second choice major, math.

In the accompanying letter, we are cautioned that transfer into engineering is uncertain. More ominously, the letter says that enrollment in engineering courses may not be possible for non-engineering students. And that kids who transfer into engineering often have to take a 5th (gulp!) year to complete all the requirements.

My son has wanted to major in computer science for a very long time. He is currently taking advanced CS in high school and will take the AP exam in CS in May.

I’m a computer scientist myself. I majored in CS as an undergraduate (not at VT) and completed a PhD in CS. I’m currently employed in that field. So I am familiar with both the CS curriculum and the career options.

Some of my colleagues in my field majored in math as undergraduates. However, I assume they were able to take computer-related courses and not just theoretical math ones.

Can someone “in the know” tell me what are his prospects for getting into computer science courses if he’s majoring in math? Or more generally, what are his prospects for getting an education compatible with employment in CS or doing an advanced degree in it?

My son was already accepted into the engineering school at Penn State. I’m thinking this may be his better option, but he has it in his head that VT is a “better” school.

If you don’t get a response, here, you may want to reach out to someone in the math department. Tell them that you’re concerned your son may have difficulty completing a minor in CS and ask them about access to CS classes. Whomever does undergraduate advising should be able to answer that question.

https://www.math.vt.edu/about.php

You may also want to ask the same question to someone in the CS program and the requirements needed for a CS minor.
https://www.cs.vt.edu/undergraduate

Thanks for the idea about minoring in computer science. My college did not have “minors” so I forgot to consider that.

I also found 3 computer-science-adjacent majors that are still available (according to http://admissions.vt.edu/admitted/available-majors.html):

-  Business Information Technology

-  Computational Modeling and Data Analytics 

-  Computational and Systems Neuroscience

Anyone know anything about these majors? The last 2 sound possibly “trendy” but also quite interesting.

My S17 also didn’t get his first choice in EE with the College of Engineering, even with a 36 ACT and 4.0 Weighted GPA at a top STEM school. He was accepted into this second choice in the School of Architecture and Urban Studies in the Construction Engineering program. He tells me he never stated he wanted that. So now it appears unless he can appeal and get into EE, VT is out for him.

@novadad99 what did he select for his second choice?

Well, it’s hard to pull information out of him. Now he tells me he thinks he did put it down as his second choice. I think he didn’t have any idea what to put down so that may be what he did. I told him to get back with VT and tell them he really wants EE. If he doesn’t get a change, then no VT for him.

@NoVADad99 Is he on a waitlist for CoE?

In previous years they have had one, but don’t remember hearing anyone say they’re on it for this year.
Might be worth asking when he contacts VT

Nope. Nothing about waitlist. It was presented to him as you’re accepted to your second choice, construction engineering, in the School of Architecture and Urban Science. I told him to call VT admissions ASAP if he wants to attend, and ask them to put him in EE. It’s not my problem, so if he doesn’t get off his behind, so be it.

@NoVADad99 when talking with admissions, he would probably be better off asking to be put into CoE as he can’t and won’t be put directly into EE. And it likely won’t make a difference at to VT at this point whether he’s interested in EE, AE, ME, etc. As you probably know all freshman engineering students start in CoE and apply to their specific major after they take the appropriate classes and have the requisite GPA, typically after 2 semesters.