Accepted, but confused

<p>I just found out today that I was accepted.</p>

<p>However, I am confused about one thing. When I applied, I put my major as Engineering, since I am very interested in studying Computer Science. However, I was accepted into "University Studies."</p>

<p>What does this mean for me? Can I still study Computer Science at Virginia Tech or will I have to pick a different major? If I take the courses required during my freshman year, is it a guarantee that I can major in Computer Science?</p>

<p>Also, will being in the "undecided" category for a year put me at a disadvantage if I do end up switching into Engineering/Comp. Sci?</p>

<p>I sent this same letter to the admissions office, but I figured I would post it here as well to get some opinions.</p>

<p>What I've heard about this is that you were well qualified for VT but not as qualified for the engineering department so you have to get a good GPA in your required classes and try to transfer into CS.</p>

<p>Hmm. Thanks.</p>

<p>Still looking to get some of my other questions that I mentioned answered. Also, how is the difficulty of a CS major over there? I've heard from a friend that the other Engineering majors are extremely hard, but I have heard nothing about CS.</p>

<p>I've seen this happen before. The best you can do if you truly want to attend VT is to give it a years time as University Studies and then try to transfer into the major you want. It's not really an unusual occurrence. Worst case scenario, if they don't let you in, you can start finding other schools that will.</p>

<p>Bensky, same thing happened to my S, who applied for engineering. There is a letter that you can find from here: University</a> Studies Orientation FAQs
dealing with getting into the College of Engineering from University Studies. It's a little comforting in that apparently it's still possible to graduate on time from engineering even if you have to start in US. I think my S feels a little dissed but hopefully he'll come around!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. </p>

<p>Everything seems fine except for the "Engineering Exploration" courses - seems like I might not even be guaranteed a slot in one of those classes and if not I'd have to go to some community college in order to take it, which I really don't want to have to do. Seems like a hassle to me.</p>

<p>Has anyone on here done that sort of thing, and if so is it worth it?</p>

<p>You can take the Enge Exploration your soph year, and you get priority since you'd be signing up for it in March and Freshmen don't start signing up until June.</p>

<p>My S is a soph in CS and loves it. A couple of the classes have been pretty hard, but the profs and TAs are really great about meeting up with you.</p>

<p>Would that mean I could still graduate in 4 years? I thought the letter said that I had to take Exploration during my freshman year some time.</p>

<p>You MAY be able to take Exploration (or it's equivalent) at a local CC while you're at VT. You'd have to drive to Christiansburg a couple times a week (only 15 minutes away or so) but that is probably more convenient than staying an extra semester/year.</p>

<p>Even if it's hypothetically possible to take only core classes freshman and most of sophomore year and then take all your CS classes Junior/Senior, I'd be worried about trying that. Normal courseload for an engineer is 16-19 credits/semester, but generally theres at least one or two classes that are easy electives. 19 CS credits, which are generally project based, is going to be very, very hard. </p>

<p>Some CS classes are offered during the summer, which could help, but all have the Exploration class as a prereq so you couldn't start that until after your sophomore year, and you NEED to be doing internships during the summers. To further complicate matters most majors have one or two classes that are taken during sophomore year that are prereqs for nearly all the classes later on, so you could find youself as a Junior, more or less finished with all non-CE requirements but not able to take many CE classes because of prereqs.</p>

<p>So basically here's what I'm saying. Look into taking Exploration at the CC (New River Valley CC I believe.) They may not do that anymore but it's probably your best bet. If that doesn't work out you can look up the course requirements and do the math on whether you can still graduate in 4 years, taking all cores/non CE classes (math, physics, chem, etc.) your freshman and sophomore years, but it will not be fun and it will not be easy. And it very well may not be possible.</p>

<p>So you're saying that if I take the exploration course at that CC during my FRESHMAN year, I wouldn't have that "CS courses junior/senior year" workload problem? In other words, would it be as easy for me as it would be for someone who was already in the Engineering department?</p>

<p>If they still allow you to do that then you wouldn't have the huge workload problem (well, not anymore than any other engineer, haha) later on, correct. I'm not positive that they let freshmen take it though.</p>

<p>Okay. Thanks for the help. I'll have to ask the admissions office if freshman can take that class, as that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me if I'm not able to take it freshman year.</p>