Computer Science

Does anyone have recent experience or thoughts on the Computer Science program at UA (in the College of Engineering)?

Our son is down to the final two choices (explored on another thread) of UA or UF here in Florida.

We met Jeff Gray at UA and thought he was fantastic. We were also impressed with the Engineering Quad, the dorms, et al.

In addition to general thoughts, I’m trying to hone in on job placement rates for CS grads from UA - so any helpful links would be appreciated. Dr. Gray told us that his A and B students often had jobs lined up very early in the process (like spring of junior year maybe? - can’t remember exactly what he said but it was impressive).

DS has a 3.8 GPA in his dual enrollment credits (college GPA - not high school). With diligence I’m hoping he can hold his own grade-wise. He’s in Calc 1 with UF close to an “A” (can never count on it because it’s a tough course).

He has Python and Java experience, and loves coding and science. Strong interest and seemingly natural affinity for physics.

When I look at UF and UA’s LinkedIn pages, it seems UF is stronger placement-wise. But there are soft factors that are important to us too. We want him to be able to connect with faculty, have a good living experience, etc. There is not much of a cost difference between the two schools. Would he get more attention at UA? He would be in the Honors College and is in the reserve pool for CBH.

Thoughts are appreciated.

I am sending you a pm.

Seconding the OP’s questions about computer science at UA.

Also, are there any computer science specializations like cyber security at UA?

Nerdyparent, sent you the same pm as OP’s.

@kjcphmom I have the same question, can you PM me too?

Right now CS is a hot field. It’s one of the easiest for landing an internship, which makes landing a job much easier. I’m sure he’ll not have any problems at UA.

@Gator88NE - thank you! Very kind and generous of you.

I’ve been delving into the CVs of some of the profs (both schools) to see what projects they’re working on, grant money they have received, etc.

Argh, this is tough.

What you’re seeing isn’t likely “placement numbers”, which are what % of grads that get jobs in their fields. I think what you’re seeing is the effect of UF being more “nationally” recruited for it’s CS and Computer Engineering (and engineering in general), so many more UF grads work in California, etc. Almost 1/2 of UA engineering grads work in the Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville and Atlanta areas. Alabama engineering grads work all over the country, but it’s more regional than UF. I would think placement numbers are very similar for CS at either school.

In the following link, I’ve selected “engineering”(as “What they do”), however, you can make any selection. It’s fun to play with. :slight_smile:

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/edu/alumni?id=17740&facets=CN.8&keyword=&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=off&trk=edu-up-nav-menu-alumni

It’s kinda fun seeing all of the Alumni that are now VP’s, Directors, CTO, COO, CEO, etc. You can sort through the data by using the search field (try using “Computer Science”).

We can all over think it sometimes. :slight_smile:

At the end of the day, go with your families gut feeling and have NO REGRETS. He’s going to do great. :slight_smile:

^^really helpful @Gator88NE - I’m not that good with LinkedIn but started surfing around on it the other day after something you posted (I think!).

ETA: thanks for #8 too! We often engage in paralysis by analysis around here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, computer science . . . the pro’s and the con’s. I’m not familiar with the CS department at UF, so I can’t compare, but I can tell you my son’s experience.

He’s had one absolutely incredible professor, and has been lucky enough to have him for two courses so far (with another scheduled for next fall). He’s also had a couple that were not so wonderful - one of them meant well, and wanted his students to succeed, but just wasn’t a very good instructor. The other one, in my opinion, has no place teaching intro courses. His attitude is “sink or swim,” and if he sees you drowning, he’s not going to throw you a rope. And if you end up in his class (which is pretty much unavoidable) and need help . . . well, good luck! Despite a very comprehensive tutoring program for engineering students, there are no designated tutors for CS students. MechE - yes; ChemE - yes; Electrical - yes; Civil - yes; etc., etc. But no designated tutor for CS. (See here: http://students.eng.ua.edu/resources/tutoring/) A couple of CS courses are covered by tutors from other disciplines, but it’s not enough. When a students runs into trouble, it’s hard to find help.

What you do have at UA, though, are all sorts of opportunities. From research to robotics to . . . well, you name it! College of engineering students are involved in a variety of different competitions, and there’s always room for another programmer! My son found his own project - automating one of the more labor-intensive tasks in the UA undergrad admissions office. And research opportunities are abundant.

One unique opportunity your CS student would have at Bama is the chance to take a course with [Bahrat Balasubramanian](http://eng.ua.edu/people/bharat/) - former VP for research and design at Daimler AG in Germany, where he worked on the self-driving car. The seminar he’s teaching this semester is titled “Vehicle Telematics and Connected Car.”

@Nerdyparent asked about Cyber Security. Although there’s no specialization in Cyber Security, there is one prof who’s been teaching a Computer Security course for a while now. And there’s also a new prof who’s teaching seminars in Software Security (this semester) and Digital Forensics (in the fall). He’s looking forward to teaching additional topics in the future. My son met him and thinks he’s pretty cool.

There’s also a new program that just launched this semester: an Honors Certificate Program in Cyber Security and Intelligence. I know that sounds like exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s not specifically a CS program. It’s broader than that, and it’s open to non-programmers, as well, so all the students spend at least part of their time focusing on the “bigger picture” of managing and containing security breaches. As I said, it’s new, and the first two courses were offered this semester, so I’ll be interested to see how it develops.

As for jobs & internships, my son had an advantage, in that he got his first CS internship near where we live before he even started at UA, so by the time he sent out internship applications in the fall of his sophomore year, he already had two summers of internship experience under his belt. The results? Internship offers from both Lockheed Martin and Verizon! So, even though he was concerned at first that a UA degree might not get him where he wants to go, I don’t think he’s worried about that anymore. :slight_smile:

If your student ends up being offered a spot in CBH, he will absolutely have the best of the best, and he will likely avoid some of the issues I described in my first paragraph above. But the opportunities I’ve listed are available to all CS students, whether they’re in CBH or not, and my non-CBH student, despite some difficulties, has done pretty well for himself at Alabama.

Both UF and UA have subreddit forums that might be useful to ask your questions on as those forums are frequented primarily by students as opposed to parents. www.reddit/r/uf and www.reddit/r/capstone The UF forum is more active than the UA forum, but I noticed that there are quite a few CS students on the UA forum.

We had three guides on our engineering tour at UF. One was a computer engineering major who is a graduating senior and said he had internships with a different company each summer and was offered and accepted a job with the last company, Cisco in Silicon Valley. All three (chem e, biomed and computer eng) had impressive internships–but of course, they also seemed like impressive individuals (academically and interpersonally).

Also, as an aside, UAH has a cybersecurity program and great merit scholarships to go with it.

Good luck!

One more question:

I noticed the introductory computer science course sequence changed this semester (Spring 2015).

See
http://cs.ua.edu/files/2011/08/CS-Flowchart-2015.pdf

And
http://cs.ua.edu/files/2011/06/CS-Introductory-Sequence-Revisions-Announcement-Spring-2015.pdf

From the flowchart, students from here on take CS 100, CS 101, CS 200, and CS 201 sequentially.

It looks like CS 101 must be completed before CS 200 and 201.

But after that, it looks like CS 200 is not a prerequisite for 201, so in theory CS 200 and 201 could be taken during the same semester.

My question is: would taking CS 200 and 201 the same semester be biting off more than one can chew?

Thanks for that ^ @nerdyparent, though I don’t know the answer.

Another aside . . . what is the minimum GPA you would need at UF to look good to employers? We are thinking that, if our son went to UA, he would want his GPA as high as possible in an effort to stand out.

H, DS and I were just hashing out exactly what would be required the first year at both schools. UF’s first year definitely looks tougher (not to make light of UA’s schedule but UF requires more physics and Calc 3 at some point).

@SouthFloridaMom9 from the flowchart it looks like your son would not have to take calc 3 at UA - but in truth my older son says Calc 3 is actually easier than calc 2 in his opinion.

At UA your son would also have to take discrete math (302 and 302) - but I hear these aren’t so bad.

Nerdyparent, I just looked at the new curriculum to see what 200 and 201 covered. In my opinion, I think 200 and 201 would be too much to handle in one semester (look at how many classes these covered in the previous flowchart.) I know one semester my son took 5 CS classes (had them all in the same room, different professors though) and was okay. However, if he was faltering in one of the classes or subjects covered, at least it didn’t “take him down” on the other classes; for example in that semester maybe he had 4 As and 1 C rather than 1 A and 1 C because he didn’t do well on a test or two. Unless there is a real reason to rush, my feeling is to take them in two separate semesters.

I could ask my CS graduate for his opinion BUT I don’t know if it would do any good. The classes will now be different (you should hear how the beginning class changed for engineering when they consolidated them into one 4 credit class…many flunked the first year or two until the professors were able to put together a better curriculum) and professors are different (they can make or break a class.) Also the time frame can make a difference to your son… taking two classes like this later in his college career might be better than the beginning as freshman/early sophomores sometimes lack study skills and are getting use to campus life.

Final thought is to ask the CS dean or counselor although I don’t know if they could give you a definitive answer either.

Thanks @kjcphmom !

I wonder if you could please ask your son if he thinks computer science at UA would be better for a cyber security job or if a degree in management information systems at UA (which has some computer science courses also) would be better.

Nerdyparent, I sent your question to my son, and to my other’s son roommate who will be a junior in MIS next year. I will let you know what they say (if they have any opinion.)

So this is what my son said: " I don’t really feel that mis relates a whole lot to cyber security, so I would say CS. Also, looking at the ua mis website, there doesn’t seem to be jobs accepted that are related to security (there’s risk analyst, but I took that as more as the business type of risk) I may be biased though."

Thanks @kjcphmom !

@Nerdyparent - I think my son would be OK in Calc 3 (we hope); also, there is some type of discrete math requirement at UF too. Just noticed that today.