CS Dept

<p>I’ve gotten mixed reviews on the CS program.</p>

<p>Can any current or former students provide any insight?</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>Welcome back riprorin - my S just told me your S had decided on Bama. My S is very psyched and he said your S is too. :)</p>

<p>I’m sure they will both maximize their opportunities in the CS department, but I am also looking forward to any insight from current/former CS students or parents.</p>

<p>Does your S have any interest in the STEM MBA program? My S is doing that.</p>

<p>Certainly not a student is the CS dept, but I am a hiring manager in IT who has interviewed a number of Bama kids for jobs. I, and my peers, have always been very impressed with how well prepared the Bama kids are compared to kids from other schools. </p>

<p>Roll Tide !!</p>

<p>One of my son’s friends graduated last Dec with a CS degree. She had immediate employment. She is a very smart girl, we’ve known her since high school, and she really enjoyed the program, the profs, and projects. </p>

<p>If you have any questions, you should contact Dr. David Cordes. He’s the dept head, and he’s also the director of the Freshman Eng’g Program. </p>

<p>David Cordes, Professor and Department Head
Department of Computer Science
Director, Freshman Engineering Program
University of Alabama</p>

<p>101 Houser Hall
Box 870290
Tuscaloosa, AL* 35487-0290</p>

<p>205-348-6363
205-348-0219 (FAX)
<a href=“mailto:cordes@cs.ua.edu”>cordes@cs.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I’d be interested if you could elaborate on the “mixed reviews” that you have gotten, Riprorin. What are the problem areas…and are these legit concerns, or just hear-say? I’m sure parents/students in current CS program will elaborate for you, but point them in the direction that you have concerns.</p>

<p>Sorry, if I gave the impression that I had heard something negative about the program. That’s not the case. I have heard that the research interests of the faculty tend to be more theoretical than applied and that’s reflected in the upper level coursework. For some students that are more practical minded, MIS may be a better fit. </p>

<p>In general, the CS dept appears to be well perceived in the academic community, particularly for software engineering.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, I know a guy who’s going back for his Masters in CS. While a Masters in CS is normally not very useful in the work force, he graduated from MIS and then had a lot of trouble finding programming jobs because they just wanted CS graduates. My own impression of MIS is that it focuses on business programming, i.e. less problem solving and more just writing code. That’s certainly practical, but it’s also a bit limiting.</p>

<p>I’m currently taking that upper level coursework and I think they’ve found a nice balance, though I haven’t taken what are arguably the two most theoretical classes. Still, every class requires you to do multiple programming projects to demonstrate that you can use the knowledge. The college also encourages students to co-op to help prepare them. At some point, I think the student needs to make sure he/she can apply what was taught.</p>

<p>These are just my impressions as a student. Someone may make a better case that contradicts mine - take all this with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>My son is completing his freshman year in CS. No issues or concerns (other than the ‘occasional’ complaint about a prof or ta, which is common in all majors). </p>

<p>It is challenging - especially since he entered with very little programming knowledge/experience. MANY kids now have several years under their belt before they even step foot on campus - my son has to work hard to keep up.</p>