Computer Science

@SEA_tide thanks for chiming in!

The STEM MBA might not be as useful as I had hoped… :frowning:

The usefulness of a STEM MBA really varies based on what one wants to do in their career.

If you’re a mechanical engineer, that wants to work at Boeing, and work your way up to a senior and then engineering manager, the STEM MBA is likely not a good choice (a masters, co-op, or graduating early are likely better options).

If you’re a CS major, that wants to get into a management/leadership development program at a fortune 500 company, then it’s a great move.

Here’s a link to a typical program (notice the MBA requirement):

https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/working-at-csx/job-overviews/management-training-and-leadership-development-programs/controller-s-group/

Also, keep in mind that some STEM majors have better/worse synergies with an MBA program. It all comes down to want they want to do with their careers. :slight_smile:

Auburn has established a Cyber Security Institute run by the former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, Ronald Burgess, who is an Auburn grad. For cyber security, Auburn’s program is top notch due to the money Burgess has managed to bring in to the university and the connections he has with the NSA and other government agencies. I’m doing a MS in cybersecurity through University of Maryland, and taking the digital forensics track. Cyber security is not computer science. You have to understand how networks operate and the vulnerabilities and attack vectors, but for the practitioner, you don’t need to be a computer scientist to do the job.

@NoVADad99, thanks for clarifying about CS vs. cyber security. What would be the best major at Bama for piecing together something that might stack up favorably to one of those specialized degrees?

@NoVADad99 thanks for the info! I second Lucie’s question about best undergrad major at Bama for cyber security - MIS perhaps?

A CS degree is very useful for cybersecurity, because someone who understands programming and coding will be much better at doing forensic analysis of malware than someone who doesn’t know how to interpret code. Someone with a CS background can also write malware, so you can work as a penetration tester or malware reverse engineer. But there are many tracks in cyber security (policy, digital forensics, information assurance) which don’t require a CS background, and can take people who have not worked IT before.

@NoVADad99 interesting! So a CS degree would be useful after all. Thanks!

Yes it is helpful. Cybersecurity is a mix of computer science, IT, psychology, intelligence all mixed together. You have to constantly think outside the box to look at where the threats are coming from, share information widely within the community, and have to think like the bad guys.

@NoVADad99 I wonder if UA is going to beef up its cyber security education to match Auburn with the Cyber Institute:

http://cyber.ua.edu

Looks like many talented faculty from different disciplines including Computer Science.

Wow, @Nerdyparent - excellent link! How do you manage to find all this stuff??? :-bd

I don’t know if UA will do it to the same level as Auburn. Seems to be a big commitment of resources and funds. But UA seems to have the money, so it’s possible.

@dodgersmom the power of Google! :wink:

I notice in the computer science course flowchart that one may take either GES 255 or ST 450 to satisfy the stats requirement for CS.

The problem is that I can’t find ST 450 in current course offerings - does anyone know if this class has been renamed or discontinued?

Update: Stats 450 is no longer offered. :((

Stats 450 is no longer offered? No, no, no . . . :(( :(( :((

One more Q for all those CS parents out there:
Regarding the one hour courses CS 121 vs ENGR 111 for entering CS freshmen - does it matter which one a student takes?

Naturally I would prefer CS 121, but ENGR 111 works better with our schedule and satisfies the same requirement.

Unless things have changed, it doesn’t make a darned bit of difference. The student is simply required to take any one of the intro courses offered. (My CS major, who was undecided at the time, took the MechE and ChemE intro courses!) ENGR 111 would, in any event, be an acceptable substitute for any of the intro courses.

Thanks @dodgersmom !