Computer Science

<p>Hi, I’m looking to major in Comp Sci and was wondering which of the UC’s have good comp sci programs
Looking specifically at
UCD
UCSB
UCLA
UCB</p>

<p>Also, what other colleges should I apply to in California with strong comp sci programs? Thanks</p>

<p>You should take a look at UCI (particularly over UCD for Comp Sci). Also Harvey Mudd.</p>

<p>UCB has one of the best Comp Sci programs, and UCSD's is also very good (even though it's not on your list, but you asked for the UCs). As the above poster said, UCI is also good, and if you want to pay the tuition, you should consider Harvey Mudd as well.</p>

<p>If you would like to know more about UCD's program go over and talk to fooshy in the UCD forum. He has a great basis of comparison between UCD and UCB where his older brothers have both also studied CS.</p>

<p>Cal Poly SLO is one of the best engineering schools on the west coast.</p>

<p>For UCs, undergraduate, it's UC Berkekely followed by all the rest, tied at #2. (UCSD might be a touch above the others as well).</p>

<p>thanks for the advice guys, anyone know where I can find rankings of Comp Sci programs?</p>

<p>Undergraduate CS is not ranked.</p>

<p>Harvey Mudd is always an excellent choice :) My guess is that Caltech would have a good CS program, but that's only based on Caltech's reputation for being good at everything (computer) science. Stanford too.</p>

<p>I know you only asked for California schools, but I encourage you to apply to at least a few schools other places around the country and see what happens. Carnegie Mellon and Johns Hopkins are excellent CS schools. Carnegie is among the best, and one of the easiest to get into out of the top tier of CS programs.*</p>

<p>*"top-tier" referring to reputation. However, don't take reputation as everything. Incredible schools pass under the radar for lack of said reputation such as Harvey Mudd. </p>

<p>The truly important reputation is not the one the general public has, but the one that employers and grad schools have. I have heard that those two opinions are the same, so I encourage you to inquire at some high-power graduate schools and ask about the preparation that some of your top choices would offer you. If the admissions people say they're fine, then there's no problem.</p>

<p>That was a bit off-course, but it might help you once you compile your list and try narrowing down the list. Searching for colleges is fun, applying to all of them isn't...</p>