Concerned about my UC decisions

If you have taken all available APs at your school, you should be fine. Assuming you applied CS/DS/high demand majors then your stats, whether its with the D or with an A in that subject, is in the ballpark. I think your 4x AIME will allay a lot of concerns raised due to that D in MVC, but I hope you explained the D on the app - either in an essay or in the additional info section.

Good luck!

Why do you say that. Because of the waitlists? UCD and UCSD are top 50 institutions

4 Likes

Yeah I wrote about my struggle with mental health in junior year in one PIQ + explained the exact situation for the D in additional information. Thanks for the kind words, though! Hopefully privates will be nicer to me.

1 Like

Summer 22, dual enroll, remote class. Again I was working in San Francisco at the time (I live in SJ) and was not doing amazing mentally.

UCB, UCSB, Northwestern, Ivy Day, MIT WL, BU, NEU. I know Iā€™m probably overreacting, that I have many chances after UCs, but most of those schools are far better than the schools that waitlisted or rejected me.

1 Like

The typical recommendation around these forums is to avoid mental health issues in college application essays, since colleges supposedly think of mental health issues as risks to both the student and the college.

3 Likes

I thought about writing this same thing earlier this morning and then didnā€™t because OP, you seem like an amazing student and I worry this will make you even more stressed about the decisions you still have coming (and Iā€™m hopeful youā€™ll get some great news soon! plus Santa Cruz is a great school). But what @ucbalumnus has written here is what Iā€™m hearing more and more about. That schools get cold feet about students who write about challenges with mental health. This seems very unfair, and for all we know you wrote about it in a way that didnā€™t come off at all like you might be a risk to the school. Iā€™m sure you did. But just as a note to future applicants who may be reading this thread, please be very careful about the ways you write about this topic and perhaps consult with others to review what you have written.

Iā€™m rooting for you with UCSB tomorrow, OP!

3 Likes

I thought schools were more worried about students with actual mental illness (schizophrenia etc.) rather than students going through a tough situation. I donā€™t think a PIQ about mental health in that context is bad especially given the number of students who had to go through 10-11 grades during Covid times.

2 Likes

I agree, but there are some who say to be even more broadly careful about the way you discuss. And I have no idea how the OP handled that PIQ. Iā€™m inclined to think it was done well and not in a scary way. But just noting that itā€™s a topic to be careful around. If you are interested and want to DM me Iā€™ll share something I read about it (I canā€™t message you directly apparently). I donā€™t think itā€™s especially helpful to share in this forum because we donā€™t know the specifics in this case.

3 Likes

A local parent who also does admissions consulting posted this to a local FB group a while back. Obviously, this is her opinion and not fact, but it is definitely food for thought.

2 Likes

This, my friend, is why people need reaches, targets and safeties. Some need super safeties because they donā€™t properly evaluate themselves.

You wonā€™t know why you didnā€™t get in - other then itā€™s not ethnicity or test score.

You fortunately applied to UCSC and thatā€™s why you did so.

If thatā€™s not satisfactory, then with your GPA youā€™ll get a great deal at still accepting applications Arizona.

People really need to understand reach, target, safety.

But guess what - you got into a great school. What else matters ?

7 Likes

But at this point, this is neither here nor thereā€¦The PIQs are what they are and I donā€™t necessarily think the topic is a deal breaker. It depends on how it is handled, how the challenge is resolved, and how confident the university then feels that the challenges are in the past. So there is an element of human judgment involved with that - which means, it is not at all surprising to see mixed results. People will react differently.

The OP is such a strong applicant, imo, that blips like this should not be make or break for him. Iā€™m rooting for Cal for him and I think he has a great shot. My fingers will certainly be crossed.

3 Likes

You have one affordable option at least.
Did you get into ?
https://honors.ucsc.edu/honors-programs/college-scholars/index.html
or
https://honors.ucsc.edu/scholarships/koretscholars/index.html
Those sound like amazing programs.

You have a great profile. Now are the hardest days - but the waiting will soon be over.
Please do post here so we can congratulate you and help you choose :wink:

1 Like

You have been accepted to MIT! You should be very proud of yourself. I am guessing you want to go to UC Berkeley since you are still very anxious about these decisions

Per the OP, the MIT is a waitlist, not an acceptance.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, sorry about that. My best wishes, you have a stellar profile.

1 Like

Accepted into CMU COE!!! Also got into UCSB a few days ago but forgot to notify.

Just waiting for Berkeley, Ivy Day, Stanford now. Getting into CMU has restored my faith in my application.

10 Likes

I went to CMU for mechanical engineering many moons ago!!! loved Pittsburgh.

Can your family afford it ?

I am not at all surprised. While 3.95 and 1550 qualify the candidate to apply, overwhelming EC can be the only differentiator. I believe all the Ivys and T10+ are looking explicitly at the EC. Some, in remote areas of the country and the world, have the challenge of accessing such amenities. However, many EC, STEM or otherwise, were remote. Harsh, but I am astonished at the quality of the students that have been rejected thus far. I believe more heartache to come this week.

2 Likes

Congrats!! But why COE for an aspiring biochem major?