Confused nurse...?

If I get into a college and have nursing as a major do I have to get into or apply to any programs to even think about nursing as a first year college student?

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-education-guide/health-medical/nursing-major.htm

That kind of just tells me what to do but I’m confused on if I were to go to school do I have to get into a program at that school first?

If you go to a Community college, then you take your Nursing pre-req there and then apply to a Nursing program at a 4 year university. If you want to attend a 4 year university, you than apply to the 4 year university for the Pre-nursing major (2+2) or apply to a 4-year university with a direct admit program.

Use this website for find programs in your state:
http://www.bestnursingdegree.com

What schools are you looking at? Do you want to become an LVN, RN or NP?

I want a school close to my home town - in Nebraska and I want to be an RN

Do I have to go to a nursing school or can I do it all at a 4 year college or CC?

RN’s require a 4 year degree. You can do 2 years at a CC then transfer to a 4 year or do all 4 years at a University.
You need to go to a Nursing school (program) for at least your last 2 years to earn a Bachelors degree.

You can become an RN with an AA degree (from a community college or other junior college) or a hospital school of nursing diploma, as well as with a BSN. However, hospitals in some parts of the country prefer or require a BSN for new RN hires. Some college nursing programs are direct admit, meaning that you are accepted into the nursing program directly from high school. At other colleges, you enter as a pre-nursing student and after a year or two apply for entrance to the clinical nursing phase. This type of process, which is found at some community colleges as well as at 4-year schools, is often competitive, with only some applicants accepted. In some parts of the country (for example, the northeast), direct admit programs are common. In other areas, for example the south), most schools have non-direct programs.

Actually RN is a State Licensure designation, not a degree. You have to successfully pass a national Nursing Exam called the NCLEX Exam to obtain licensure as an RN. To be eligible to take this exam you have to successfully complete an accredited Nursing School Program which can be a 2 year Associates Nursing Degree Program at a CC, Nursing Diploma School 2 year program (etc.), or complete a 4 year BSN Degree. While you can obtain licensure as an RN without a BSN the trend in the field is to obtain a BSN for a number of reasons (some hospitals will now only hire RN’s with a BSN in a number of areas of the country). Once you have obtained licensure as an RN after attending a 2year Program (Associates Degree in Nursing or complete a Nursing Diploma School program) you could then then attend an RN to BSN Program (offered by many universities) to obtain your BSN. I would strongly encourage you to do this if you decide to go this route. Good luck.