Congratulations!

Congratulations to all those high school seniors who are about to be graduated, and to everyone who received an offer to join a theater arts program . Obviously a special congrats to those attending Ithaca College. Three months from today your college freshman will be moving into their dorm. I hope your young thespian finds what so many of our own kids have - a rigorous training program placed in a fun, supportive environment that will have them ready for the professional world one day.

A few years ago Monkey13 created a Facebook group with the clever name “Parents of Ithaca College BFA Theater Kids”. This is a place where we share the joys and challenges of this unique world of theater, though largely we trade logistical insights ranging anywhere from health insurance to neti pots to Strawhat auditions. Simply look and learn or come post all those pesky detailed questions that the Ithaca College website (which is pretty good) just does quite cover. Please send in your request to join our group including letting us know who your child is and if they are Acting or MT. In mid-June we will process the requests and welcome you to our happy family.

Until then decompress, appreciate what you have accomplished, and enjoy the remainder of your child’s high school days.

There is a lot of information on the Ithaca College web site, but some of it is rather buried. I strongly recommend reading the Department Handbook: http://www.ithaca.edu/hs/depts/theatre/handbook/

Sort fibbed a couple of days ago about relaxing, yada, yada, yada. You’ve got some work to do sooner vs. later regarding travel for flying students.

For Thanksgiving book a Saturday - Saturday flight for junior to enjoy turkey back at your old Kentucky home or wherever you hail from. Outbound on Saturday because you don’t know at this juncture when their last class is on Friday. Don’t worry about your baby possibly being alone in their dorm room Friday night - it might be the first moment of solitude they’ve had in months. Book the return on Saturday because Monday typically starts reviews/juries, and you don’t want travel-day-from-hell to be that Sunday. Yes, I know YOU want them home for the couple of extra nights, but trust me that THEY will want this schedule.

Also, hold off on other travel bookings (e.g., move-in weekend, Family Weekend) for we’ll post some discussions in the FB group later in June.

Same message still applies - congratulations, now decompress and appreciate what you have accomplished, and enjoy the remainder of your child’s high school days.

Apply to the Facebook group “Parents of Ithaca College BFA Theater Kids” by telling us who your child is, and we’ll start the college-logistics discussions around in a few weeks.

does anyone know who makes the thing on Facebook for each incoming class with our headshots?

@musicalkid98, there’s usually someone from the incoming freshman class who does the headshot collage, at least that was the case for my S’ class (he’s a sophomore MT). Have you already joined the IC Theatre Arts 2020 FB group? There might be one of your future classmates who’s already gathering headshots!