Consider your daughter's life and health when choosing a school

I think there is a good argument to be made that this decision always properly belonged to the legislature rather than to 9 unelected officials. Other countries have transitioned peacefully from no abortion to it being freely available, and I think a key reason is that it was done through the legislature and reflected the will of the people.

11 Likes

Updated every 5 minutes - Roe v. Wade: What You Can Do

3 Likes

My D was very interested in Tulane as well, even toured the campus this spring, but wouldnā€™t go now. To quote some famous Hillbillies, ā€œThey say California is the place you ought to be!ā€ :notes:

6 Likes

Yesā€“the Hyde Amendment goes beyond Medicaid and applies to payment for abortion services for anyone covered by federal health-care insuranceā€“even Medicare, although I donā€™t think there are too many pregnancies among women 65 yrs. and up. No federal monies are used to pay for abortion services under Hyde. Hyde says nothing about providing abortion services on federal land where state jurisdiction doesnā€™t apply. Hyde deals with payment for abortion services.

1 Like

Me,too. One of my kids was interested but knew he couldnā€™t deal with the weather. Now he would never apply for other reasons.

Other similar schools: Tulane, Emory, Wash U (St Louis), Vanderbilt, etc. have the unfortunate luck to be located in places that might end up being very negatively impacted by this.

6 Likes

Maybe it would be helpful for people to post POSITIVE (to avoid negativity and dissing) experiences their daughter has had with health care/womens issues at various schools. And name the school.

Without revealing anything too personal of course.

If we cant fund them, we surely can not offer federal land for clinics, as that is a form of federal subsidy. It is irrelevant anyway, as there isnt a body of federal lands available for and willing to lease to such clinics-who can blame them? What federal base or agency wants to take on this burden, with the expected protests, security concerns, etc.? Neither the federal parks service, the military base system, nor the Indian reservation system, wants to jump into this issue.

I wonder if some schools will reconsider students who turned them down already due to this? It seems a worthwhile subject for some sort of appeal.

Itā€™s kind of horrifying how many pregnancy-related arrests (and convictions) have happened since the 70ā€™s. A lot are based on the premise that the mother harmed the fetus. The relevance to this thread would be a pregnant college student smoking weed and later having a miscarriage- would they be prosecuted for harming the fetus?

Thereā€™s a scarily long list of cases in the linked article below.

ā€œ The NAPW tracked instances of pregnancy criminalization and found that more than 400 pregnant women were arrested, detained or subjected to forced medical interventions between 1973 (the year of the Roe v. Wade decision) and 2005. Between 2006 and 2020, that number more than tripled to over 1,300 cases of pregnancy-related criminalization.ā€

5 Likes

Thereā€™s always summer melt. If thereā€™s enough, colleges might go back to the WL.

2 Likes

Good point. Western Europe has legislatively dealt with this issue for decades and typically permits abortion up to 15 or so weeks. Important to keep this in perspective.

Kansas is voting on August 5 on a constitutional amendment to give the legislature the power to control abortion. This is a reaction to a state Supreme Court decision that the legislature has no such power. Itā€™s no longer theoreticalā€” the people will decide. I suspect many Republicans are going to be more pragmatic now. We will see.

1 Like

Though students will be far more cautious than ever about college selection, the more liberal schools in the South have always butted heads with state government and administration on hot issues like accommodations for LGBT students.

For example, UNC Chapel Hill approved gender-neutral housing a decade ago, but this was promptly reversed when gender-neutral housing was banned at all UNC campuses by the UNC Board of Governors.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to suggest keeping this thread focused on practical information about womenā€™s health when it comes to picking a school. Some of the feedback Iā€™ve heard privately suggests College Confidential is most valuable when we focus on education in the specific sense of college and in the general sense of learning more about the topic at hand.

We have another thread for getting things off your chest. Please donā€™t respond to other posts either directly or indirectly. Thank you for your consideration.

6 Likes

I am sure that any students considering Texas for college would like to better understand the laws on this matter.

There has already been discussion about the Texas reporting law which addresses civil liability only.

But, didnā€™t Texas also pass a law last year that makes it a second-degree felony for a person to knowingly perform, induce, or attempt an abortion?

The criminal law automatically goes into effect 30 days after a SCOTUS order is issued overturning Roe vs Wade ā€” it will be automatically ā€œtriggered.ā€ The SCOTUS decision has been issued and the order is forthcoming.

The news outlets that I have read are reporting that the SCOTUS decision will trigger the law making abortion a crime ā€” a felony ā€” in Texas.

Is there something missing in their reporting? Is there a procedural mechanism that can stop the automatic trigger?

From my vantage point, I have to imagine that Texas and other states with trigger laws that make abortion a felony will prosecute doctors (or anyone) who provide abortions. How could they refuse to prosecute a felony?

Itā€™s a small consolation if women will not also be prosecuted. They will be treated like criminals. Crimes cannot be prosecuted without witnesses so maybe they will be brought in to police stations for questioning? Or, subpoenaed to testify in court?

Is there is any way to stop the automatic trigger of the criminal law in Texas or other states?

5 Likes

I would highly recommend checking out each collegeā€™s health and wellness page. Great resources for sexual health and well being. I would assume most colleges offer contraception. If a woman doesnā€™t have support from a parent for contraception, once on campus, if she wants it, she should seek it out. The goal should always be to prevent unintended pregnancies.

3 Likes

Yesterday we received excellent emails from the Presidents from both our daughterā€™s colleges. One in a red state (purple in big areas) and one in a blue state both with similar messages - we support women, we support the right to choose and we are working in ways to continue to offer support to our students, staff and families.

Nicely received by us and our daughters to hear this message x 2 colleges.

14 Likes

OB/GYNs are going to be in very short supply. The older ones will retire earlier than planned. Young med students will not be choosing this specialty.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve been think a lot about this topicā€™s title, because I think this impacts sons also, not just daughters.

I think itā€™s clear that in states with prohibitions, the hoped for consequence is less abortions, so more young men will become fathers.

Iā€™m also a worrier. If the restrictive state has an exception for rape, Iā€™d worry that the terrified pregnant girl might improperly grasp at that straw, and more young men get improperly charged. If I had a HS boy, I donā€™t think Iā€™d want him to go to college in one of those states for that worry. True, itā€™s an unlikely scenario, but the consequences are just too high.

15 Likes

Ummā€¦DNA testing will take care of that.

I think parents of young men should be more concerned that their sons will father a child they will be required to support (and rightly so) for the next 18 years,

10 Likes

No. Poster is saying something different.

11 Likes