Cornell Class of 2027 Official Thread

I applied as a BME major at the COE!

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Were likely letters for CAS also released???

1 Like

bio in the CALS

1 Like

I applied as a BME major too! Hopefully Iā€™ll join you on the 30th :crossed_fingers:

My son received a likely letter! Weā€™re all shocked but truly grateful and happy for him. He needed that after his top schools rejected him this past week (MIT and Chicago). Heā€™s a physics major. Not sure what college that is.

9 Likes

If itā€™s helpful to anyone, my son who got a likely letter has the following stats:

• 4.48 wgpa / 3.95 uwgpa
  • 1520 SAT
  • 9 APs and the rest honors
  • NM Commended scholar
  • CB Hispanic Recognition Scholar
  • president of a couple of clubs, other involvement in math-related activities including competitions and such
  • attended several pre college programs including one that is extremely selective (but that university just rejected him :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
  • Sports all 4 years but not varsity level
3 Likes

so likely letters are essentially for URM applicants? and for women in engineering (theyā€™re underrepresented at COE)

no. Iā€™m pretty sure that non URM and non URM males got likely letters as there are many women and URM applicants that did not get them.

1 Like

Has anyone received a likely who applied to Dyson for business?

1 Like

Congratulations!! Are you an international student?

1 Like

Did u receive one? I did not!

Congratulations to all who received a likely letter! Would anyone mind sharing what it says ?

1 Like

Historically they are sent to students who fill an institutional need in some way.

2 Likes

I got a Cornell Admittance letter to CALS for Biological Science! Iā€™ll see you all next fall.

5 Likes

omg me too, same major and school! are you going to admitted students day?

People getting likelies here, on the Columbia thread and at every university I applied to; meanwhile, Iā€™m not even getting promotional emails.

Gotta love life :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Well, yes, there must some URM applicants who didnā€™t get them. There are more of those kinds of applicants than likely letters. But, all of these letters have been sent from the diversity office, and ask the applicant to explore Cornellā€™s diversity and other such resources to foster this diversity. Most ppl on Reddit/Discord who got the letter have also been URM. Itā€™s just rarer to get a likely at Cornell if you arenā€™t ā€œhookedā€ in some way.

2 Likes

I hear you and I understand. I just wish the schools would provide more transparency regarding their decisions on who get likelies because I have been fighting a private campaign in pareneting groups where they scapegoat URMs for ā€œtaking their kidsā€™ spotsā€ due to a prevailing belief that schools are giving them preference and lowering the standards/bar to get URMs. Most URMs that get selected have stellar stats/quals independent of their status as a URM.

Based on my observations, schools have moved on and are preferring FG moreso and a lot of FG are also URM so that gets two birds with one stone in terms of filling an instiuttional need.

Iā€™m not complaining either having kids who are URM and who may stand to benefit if their status as URM fills that need. I just yearn for more transparency.

6 Likes

I understand. Iā€™m probably not in a place to comment though, since Iā€™m very much an ORM. Youā€™re right about the institutional need, though. While recently URM applicants have been at pars with others in the pool, I feel these uber-elite schools still have a lot of leeway for getting a desired kind of applicant. I have a friend who goes to an Ivy, and he is Native American. Read his admissions file a couple of moths ago, and the AOs were very blunt in their wording ā€“ essentially saying something along the lines of the low 3.something is not ideal, and applicant pales in comparison to the pool, but is Native American. They later went on to put his application in the ā€œdiversityā€ bucket, where he was further deliberated and eventually offered admission. Really just makes me question what these higher education institutions have become.

Also, Iā€™m sorry about what youā€™re dealing with in those parenting groups. It can be hard some people to wrap their minds around, but at the end of the day, we just need to rejoice in the fact that these candidates are being given the resources and social environments to really thrive and advance their communities.

1 Like