Cornell University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the Cornell University is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

2 Likes

My DS23 is interested in applying to Cornell via ED. He wants to apply to CoE rather than CAS. His stats are:

• 4.489 (W); 3.932 (UW); 1540 (SAT); 35 (ACT-Superscore); APs mostly 5s and 4s
  • Math: Taking AP Stats and Calculus 3 (Dual credit), CS Dual credit, Physics C in senior year.
  • Job at Code Ninjas
  • Summer Research paper in Cybersecurity
  • Lots of volunteering work (made a website for middle school for science olympiad)

What are his chances of getting into Cornell. Should he apply via ED? And should be apply to CoE or CAS?

Thank you.

1 Like

Cornell is a reach for pretty much everyone. Your son has strong stats so he’s competitive for admissions but Cornell, like many others, gets far more qualified applicants than they can admit.

ED should boost his chances vs RD but only take this route if it’s definitely his first choice and if it’s comfortably affordable.

1 Like

GPA: 3.96 (uw)
ACT: 32 superscore (perfect reading score)
Ap exams: 4 on chem 5 on APUSH
Ec’s: Medical Ethics Researcher; selected by Harvard post doc and wrote a research paper; submitted to Rutgers journal of bioethics
Organized school’s first ever sports bra drive; collected over 200 bras and $700 for local athletes; featured on local news and in international newsletters
Founder and President of a social justice discussion group at school
Student Council
Club soccer (ECNL is top tier of girls soccer)
Varsity soccer captain
Additional info: Black female applying from Oklahoma to the college of human ecology; human bio, health, and society major

Sorry if this is a lot but I’m really passionate about Cornell and hope to get in. Knowing my act is weak I’m hoping to use extracurriculars and essays to mitigate it a little. What are my chances?

4 Likes

Applying ED to ILR.

Unweighted gpa-99.2%
ACT-36 composite (not superstores)
National merit semifinalist
Valedictorian of my senior class
Extracurriculars involve selective program with the DA office, executive board of social Justice based school club
Active member of other school clubs
Volunteer student teacher for evening/Sunday religious program
Work includes a counselor at an overnight camp and tutoring for middle school students in math and science

Strong LOR(per my counselor)

1 Like

Applying ED to College of Engineering
Asian Male
SAT 1500
Unweighted GPA 3.92, Weighted 4.423
11 APs/PostAP: Calc BC, CompSci, 5, CHEM, APUSH, ECON, WorldHist 4, currently taking MultiVar/Linear Algebra, AP Stat, AP Physics C, AP CompSci Adv, AP Government
EC/Honor -
Virginia Math Science Technology Governor School Summer Residential Program
Published Research paper for transfer learning
President/Founder of Technology Student Associate, won 2 Nationals, and several State awards
1st place ISEF regional on computational biology and bioinformatics
School Academic Excellence Award (one student per subject) every year in Math, Chemistry, Career Technology
Vice President of Investment Club, team won 1st place and 2nd place in international tournament
Own PC Building business
Subject Tutor

Recommendation:
1 from English 1 from BC Calc teacher. Teachers sent the LOR to me for review. Very strong and personalized

Jacklyn, my son is a freshman at Cornell in the College of Human Ecology. He applied ED. We are out of state. He loves it at Cornell and he is very happy he chose it as his ED. He has made a bunch of great friends, mostly through his personal interests rather than through Human Ecology. Almost all of his friends are CS majors actually.

I would be happy to private message with you about his application and resume, or I can put you in touch with him directly if you would like.

My biggest piece of advice for Human Ecology at Cornell … they are looking for program fit more than anything. Like you said, maybe you can bolster your application with your essays, recommendations, etc … my son was a tremendous fit for the major and college at Cornell he applied to, and he was able to demonstrate that in his application. Good luck to you, and feel free to message me if you want to talk further or get connected to my son.

1 Like

NY2023, I think you will be admitted to ILR with your profile, especially if you demonstrate you are a good fit for ILR in your essays.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m nervous. Submitting tomorrow. My essay definitely shows why I’d be a good fit for ILR including an experience I had in negotiations with my employer. Obviously I don’t k is exactly what they’re looking for…

I won’t be able to breathe until December. I didn’t realize how scary this would be!

You have stellar grades and scores, and interesting and unique ECs. ILR (and Human Ecology) don’t want applicants trying to sneak into Cornell through their colleges who don’t have a dedicated interest in their intended field of study.

As I am sure you already have, read up on what makes ILR unique and interesting to you, how an education at ILR will fulfill you and what you would bring to the ILR community …. and you are a shoe in. I don’t remember the most recent ILR ED acceptance rate, but I have a general idea after seeing it in admissions data from 2019-2021 when my son was applying to Human Ecology, and I am pretty confident you will be admitted to ILR.

A little nervousness is a good thing in this case. It’s the people who are too confident that get burned!

1 Like

Thank you. The deed is done. Do you know when I’ll get a portal set up from Cornell? It feels odd to have submitted but not have a confirmation from the school.

I just asked my son - he said he thinks it took about 1 week to get the portal last year.

Thanks so much for the advice!! I’d love to talk more about his application and how he was able to build his narrative.

Not to disrupt the conversation, but it’s best to exchange contact information in a direct message rather than on a public post. Thanks!

So are we thinking the number of applicants will again be up year over year. Or is this the year we start to see a flattening trend. Anyone applying to the new Brooks Public Policy school. We were thinking about it but seemed to new and unknown even though under the Cornell umbrella. Good Luck to all ED applicants. Cheers

In case anyone missed this, Cornell just posted this on this blog from the Exec Director of Admissions:
" Consider this communication from me permission to take a little more time to complete and submit your application to Cornell. Applications submitted on the days following November 1 will be happily received, processed, and reviewed by our admission committees along with all other Early Decision applications. If an Early Decision application arrives to us before and by November 16, students do not need to contact us, and they will not need to request a formal extension."

Blog post here:
In Case You Need More Time: A Special Note to Early Decision Applicants for Fall 2023 Admissions from the Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions | Cornell University Undergraduate Admissions Office

3 Likes

Seems Cornell ED effective deadline is Nov 16 ?
The way it is worded they seem to still encourage students to submit by Nov 1 and if there is a delay for whatever reason (including I couldn’t finish my essay) they could still submit an ED app by Nov 16.

1 Like

Cornell tends to be well regarded for its public policy program in general:

that’s how I read it too! Strive for early as possible, but up until the 16th is ok!

2 Likes

(for demographics: female, white, jewish, military family, rly small town in MA, applying to CoAS for astronomy (astrophysics concentration))

3.75 (ik its lower :frowning: ) UW 4.46 W
1530 SAT - National Merit Rural and Small Town Recognition Scholar
5 on AP bio and ap chem, 4 on apush
this year taking all aps: calc bc, physics c, spanish lang, english lit, psych

5 legacy connections: both parents, both grandfathers, my great-grandmother all attended Cornell

my ECs:
EMT (co-chief of my school’s program, state+nationally certified, completely volunteer)
volunteer TA for my synagogue
Secretary and Co-Founder of a Students for Social Justice Club, Co-President of Political Awareness Club
Student Council (treasurer this year)
Lacrosse - JV Team Captain, then won the Coaches Award (1 per year)
XC Skiing
Work (target, farm, my library)
FIRST robotics (only did it 9/10 but it was a huge part of my life and we competed in the World champs)
GirlUP - raised $1000+ dollars to help build classrooms and increase access to education in Uganda thru UNICEF by selling baked goods for $1 a piece

LOR- 1 from my American Lit. teacher (very strong), 1 from my Chem teacher

1 Like