Cornell University vs. The University of Chicago

<p>Hi all. I was wondering if I can have some feedback on these two colleges. I am trying to decide which one to attend. Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>P.S.: Majoring in either Mathematics/Economics or doing Pre-Med.</p>

<p>Isn't it a bit late to decide?</p>

<p>Hard to beat Chicago for econ.</p>

<p>Chicago OWNZ econ. Is there really a choice?</p>

<p>Does Cornell OWN Premed over U Chicago? </p>

<p>Eventhough USNEWS ranks both schools like 14th places, but they are not tie schools. Cornell has more prestige, being in the Ivy League and all. Each school has its strengthes. I'd agree Chicago OWNS econ, but what about Cornell owning math and pre-med (like biological sciences etc)??</p>

<p>I chose Cornell over U of Chicago, um something to keep in mind, Chicago is a totalllllly different place. I mean, I got into both NW and Chicago, and while they seem alike in terms of location/demographics, they are completely different. Chicago is an extremely "intelectual" place, which makes it a fit for some ppl and not for others. A very strange thing about Chicago is that is has sooo much prestige around the world and the country, but the general public doesn't know much about it, which is a lil weird, b/c its academmics are on par w. all the ivies, etc.</p>

<p>Honestly no one "owns" anything. When you apply to grad school you will see that in the end it makes no difference. Grad schools (outside of film and specialized areas) and recruiters look at the strength of the school, not the department.</p>

<p>These are very different schools. If you are the type who wants a social campus, go to Cornell. IF you prefer museums, plays, etc go to Chicago.</p>

<p>"Grad schools (outside of film and specialized areas) and recruiters look at the strength of the school, not the department."</p>

<p>Perhaps professional schools... grad schools definitely look at the department. Letters of rec, for example, are very important and must come from respectable, well known profs.</p>

<p>I had to choose between the two for physics (both Cornell and Chicago are very reputable in physics), but I felt confident in choosing Cornell because:
1. Campus and Social Life. Cornell's campus is larger and more like home (small town). It seems like there is always something going on at Cornell. This can be true for Chicago, but kids truly are very tied down with classes. I met a lot of unhappy people there. None at Cornell.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Theory behind school- The "Life of the Mind" is a great concept, but just not for me. I'm not in sports, but I like the idea of them. Cornell wins there. I like Chicago's quirkiness, but the people and the campus seem very disjointed. I didn't see as much school spirit. Finally, theory verses practice. The physics department was set up with a nice building and that new Interdivisional Research Building at Chicago, but there seemed to be a very large focus on theory and replicating historical experiments. If I wanted to be a theoretical physics professor (which would be fun), Chicago would undoubtedly receive a graduate school application from me. However, Cornell's focus on undergraduates AND cutting edge research in both the theoretical and the practical made it seem like the right fit. As a physics major, I can do research or take classes with the Engineering, which we all know is an incredible department. Things like the particle accelerator on campus and the brand new Duffield Hall all really made sense.</p></li>
<li><p>Money. This is a personal issue, but even though Cornell is further away, I got more money. I think they have more to give out. Plus, I think I could get a better job there, because there is more to choose from. Cornell simply has more options.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>DISCLAIMER: This is my personal experience. I proudly wear my U of Chicago apparel because I loved the place. But in the end, for a scientist/engineer, I think Cornell is the obvious choice. </p>

<p>Plus, Cornell is never confused with a state school (as is UChicago to UIC). It has a bit more presitge amongst the general American population. Besides, if they don't know Cornell, they always know Ivy League. This doesn't really matter, but it is nice to be recognized. Most people I know don't know that 4 years at Chicago >>>>>>> U of Minnesota.</p>

<p>okay here's the thing.</p>

<p>Both schools are exceptionally good in academics.</p>

<p>I'm applying as a transfer and both schools are my top pick although currently cornell is more so than chicago due to some financial aid issue at the chicago finaid office. </p>

<p>If you're doing premed, both carries equal prestige in academia; although the general public will not common confuse cornell as a public school. Still that shouln't be the issue.</p>

<p>Both schools are great in sciences and both school have some major competition: chicago being grade deflation, cornell being cutthroat premed competition.</p>

<p>Both schools offers alot of research opps and both schools have med schools ranked in the top tier.</p>

<p>I think the main difference is the surroundings. Cornell is more isolated; though from what i've gathered there are many things to do around campus.</p>

<p>Chicago has chicago, but the surrounding area isn't the grestest.</p>

<p>I guess you should go to the school you feel more inclined to.</p>

<p>p.s. the finaid office at chicago sucks .</p>

<p>Hi all. Thanks for your comments. I got off both of their waitlists, so I guess it is not too late for me. I know someone from my school who attends Chicago and loves it there. I guess it all opinion. </p>

<p>Don't you all agree that no matter which of the two I pick that I'll get a good education anyway?</p>

<p>P.S.: Yes, I do find it odd that Chicago is famous but not too many people know about it over Cornell.</p>

<p>as a premed myself, i like many other people, value anyone who manages to graduate from either schools with a good GPA.</p>

<p>which school gave you more money?</p>

<p>also i think the many reason why many dont know of chicago is because of it's name.</p>

<p>uchicago sounds like a state school name.</p>

<p>"Don't you all agree that no matter which of the two I pick that I'll get a good education anyway?"</p>

<p>Yes I agree with that. You'll be fine at either school for any of those fields you are interested in. The environments are different so if you have time/money to visit then do so. Name dropping is pointless because the average joe schmoe that has never heard of Chicago wouldn't give two sh-ts that you go to Cornell even if he knows about its rep.</p>

<p>"Name dropping is pointless because the average joe schmoe that has never heard of Chicago wouldn't give two sh-ts that you go to Cornell even if he knows about its rep"</p>

<p>Yeah....dropping the Ivy bomb only impresses the general public. It won't impress people that don't care about academics.</p>

<p>Nor does it really impress grad schools. Harvard will not accept you into their Med School JUST because you went you Yale, etc. I say its 25% prestige and 75% you.</p>

<p>In answer to hnbui, none of them gave me money, and yes, Chicago is like not very well known to the public community. It is, however, a good school. Sadly, I will not be attending Cornell University this fall :(</p>

<p>what made you choose chicago over cornell?</p>

<p>Isn't chicago supposed to be really easy to get into? I think 50% of all applicants got in last year. Chicago has been getting a really bad reputation recently. I'd worry about the future value of a chicago degree.</p>

<p>Ummm, its more around 40 percent, but their applicant pool is very, i repeat very self-selecting. Thefore, virtually anyone who applies to Chicago is bright or is an extremely good student or thinker or w.e. b/c the application is quite honest ridiculous to just waste 75 dollars on if you are not serious about the place.</p>

<p>I agree to a certain extent, although Chicago is definitely easier to get into than Cornell (ahem...I mean not as hard as Cornell. Both are difficult). Their selectivity has also been rising, so they aren't "sliding." However, I think that they do have a severe reputation problem for a few reasons (and some of them are valid):</p>

<ol>
<li><p>They compete with the Ivies, etc for students, and are in the same class as them. They are, though, the least selective of this top group.</p></li>
<li><p>Chicago is often considered to be too theoretical for many students. This helps them maintain their reputation as "teacher of teachers" but I think it hampers a lot of technology development that is coming out of other top schools. I would like them to show a greater blend. (I commented on their physics experiments being historical) Keep in mind, though, that they are putting in a HUGE Interdivisional Research Building, although it seems to be the child of the biological sciences.</p></li>
<li><p>The difficulty. Kids are repelled by their often oppressive academics. They make kids work and work, and although I think this is really impressive, it leaves people like me, a once prospective Chicagoan, to wonder if I would have time to take extra classes or be involved in a few extracurriculars. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Things to chew on. Both good schools. I would love to give Chicago my grad school app if I wanted to teach theoretical physics.</p>