COVID restrictions at Brown University

When I was accepted to Brown University, I was on top of the world. It was my dream school and I had in a way sacrificed my high school years by working 16 hours a day, trying to excel at every thing I did. And it was worth it, or so I thought. Post COVID, Brown has changed. It is not the school that I applied to. It has extreme restrictions and combined with its old dorms, poor food, and disconnect between student life and administration, most of us who are there now - have deep regret that we picked Brown. Can you imagine living in a dorm room that smells, that has no ac in +100 degree weather, eating grosss food from boxes (Brown has been very quick to close cafeterias), being alone most of the time, eating alone most of the time. Ask yourselves what is important to be happy, what is important to be healthy. When doing college visits - compare how the schools have treated their class of 2024. I don’t know if Brown will change course - but I wish I had picked a school that was going to balance COVID restrictions with the health you of the students. Know what you’re getting into!!!

4 Likes

I am sorry you are feeling so unhappy. Of the things you mentioned, though, the old dorms and the lack of AC existed pre-Covid (and both are typical of many East Coast colleges).

The food has gotten worse at many colleges right now— it appears to be from a nationwide lack of food services staff. And I agree that it is unfortunate that Brown said no in-person dining these last two weeks, but in-person dining was reinstated two days ago so hopefully that will be better for you soon.

Clubs can still meet, and many posters here on CC agree that they are one of the best ways to meet compatible people and find friends. I hope you are able to find some clubs you like and start to enjoy your time there more. Your time at Brown can still be much of what you had hoped for/expected — I hope that happens for you soon.

5 Likes

Thank you, I do hope things get better. I guess I’m not very good at explaining why The restrictions are so hard to live with. Yes, the dorms have been old and the food has always been bad, but now I can’t just go eat at a restaurant. There are fewer escapes. Everything is harder. And if people are getting together, there is a limit on how many can be there even masked. It’s really hard to live that way. And I don’t think Brown is the only school making these choices. I did see that Duke and Vanderbilt put tents up so people could still eat together. The point is just to share that the going away experience is much different than I thought. My post my help someone decide with open eyes!

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. Tents would definitely have been welcome and I didn’t realize about the no restaurants policy.

Hopefully the remaining restrictions will be removed soon. I wish you the very best!

1 Like

I am biased. Brown is my favorite school. I don’t think anyone reading this should decide against Brown based on the current situation with COVID. Was there an outbreak on campus?

You just left home, which is hard enough but when you add the need for solitude due to COVID, packaged food and few communal experiences, it is even tougher.

Hoping things get under control so you can enjoy a more normal experience, but please know this is far from normal. And as a parent I am glad when a school is careful. (And no tents don’t reassure me because they are still an enclosed space.)

4 Likes

If it makes you feel better, there are freshmen in smelly old dorms with no a/c in almost every northeast college (my son’s dorm at Rutgers is over 50 years old and very warm, his sister went there and had no a/c sophomore year either).

Sorry you are having a tough start and hope things improve as the restrictions get lifted. I know some additional rules were implemented in response to an outbreak but I don’t see anything prohibiting you from eating at a restaurant or grabbing food and eating together (groups of 5 or less) on campus.

I was actually on campus this weekend and saw plenty of students enjoying the weather, playing spikeball, eating on Thayer st and down on Wayland shopping.

I completely understand how tough it must be to meet new people and be in a new environment during such a challenging time but I hold out hope Brown can still live up to being your dream school.

A suggestion. Ask a few friends to take a walk down to “plant city” and grab some food. Then walk across the new pedestrian bridge and eat at the park on the other side of the river. It’s beautiful outside enjoy your day!!

Next rainy day go over and enjoy RISD museum. It’s an amazing world class museum, a very short walk and as a Brown student very cheap.

https://risdmuseum.org/

Lastly, in the coming weeks there are several Water Fire events that you might want to attend. Lots of fun ways to enjoy it with a smaller group.

Brown is a community of people that support one another and Providence is a great city. Please give the place some time and try and stay positive!!

4 Likes

I believe inside dining has been reinstated and clubs could still meet.

The AC condition is disappointing but in California, I believe only UC Riverside and maybe Davis has AC. Many dorms don’t have ACs. Luckily, the weather will be more moderate in a few weeks for you.

Brown is trying to get ahead and mitigate the transition surge that took place when students moved in and it looks like daily asymptomatic positive rates are down to 1-2 positive cases. The administration is likely trying to make sure students don’t have to be sent home mid year with uncontrollable breakthrough cases and they likely don’t want to be asked, “Why didn’t you do more?” if things ever got worst.

Hang in there! It’s not ideal but many other colleges are going thru the same scenario to try to keep its students safe. It’s definitely not perfect

2 Likes

Thank you for the post. School response to COVID has been a big deciding factor on whether my D22 will apply to each college she has considered. I hope things become more flexible and I look forward to hearing the positive changes that unfold over the year.

1 Like

I’m a current sophomore as well, but I’d have to disagree. Yes, many of the dorms are on the older side, but they are well-maintained, decent-sized, and have amazing locations. They couldn’t just put in AC overnight. I strongly disagreed with the recent covid restrictions, but they responded to students even though they wouldn’t admit it. The conflict between students and administration is real, but it’s definitely been better since Mayish when we started getting vaccinated. Generally, it’s fine to eat at a restaurant if you’re not wearing any Brown gear, as long as you feel safe. Takeout is also an option. We also have tents on simmons quad, in front of the ratty, and near macmillan/geochem.

I don’t know anyone who’s non-anonymously said they regretted picking Brown. If you’re lonely and want someone to eat with, feel free to reach out to me! Also there are lots of clubs in person–if you’re not comfortable reaching out to groups to get on email lists, lmk and I can do it for you!

11 Likes

Wait. What?

That has to be one of the more vapid reasons to complain about Brown.

I actually hope that my child goes to college with housing like that, rather than live in more luxurious digs. Why? Because when my kid gets out of college and gets their own place, it won’t be such a let down.

And I’ve got news for you: if you have a real major at Brown, they are going to expect you to “sacrifice” your college years trying to excel, just to keep up with your peers. It is not enough to get into Brown: Brown expects you to be intellectually engaged while attending.

1 Like

I believe it’s technically against the rules to eat unmasked in a restaurant in a group larger than five, and I’ve heard rumors of people power-tripping on covid rules and reporting people to student conduct. Nothing confirmed though. I just don’t wear any Brown stuff when I’m going out in a group, just to be extra sure.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, you’re saying the rules are stricter for Brown students than they are for Rhode Island residents?

First off at Brown students have concentrations not majors so I assume you are not that familiar with the sense of community and mutual respect the school prides itself on.

Second, calling this student vapid seems a bit harsh. Aren’t you the same person who in regard to your kids HS summer session said…

“I am unimpressed by an institution that cannot divulge such basic information as to what time orientation begins, or what time to expect the mysterious informative letter on what to expect, but can tell you that there will be negative consequences for not participating.”

“Gah! I’m sorry, but there is no way I’d foot the tuition bill for 4 years at an institution with that attitude.”

I hope your daughter enjoyed her Brown summer session experience.

I recall supplying you with some of the info you were seeking to try and ease your anxiety. I would suggest as adults we try and extend this same courtesy to a student who is someone else’s child.

15 Likes

What I take away from this thread, as well as many others I’ve read on CC, is that schools in certain areas of the country have re-instituted much more severe Covid restrictions than in other parts of the country and I can understand the frustration of students who hoped/expected that Brown’s vaccine requirement would translate to a more “normal” school year.

OP I’m genuinely sorry that your experience at Brown has begun this way. The lack of A/C given the heat and humidity of the northeast during August and September definitely provides a bonding experience among those affected (and they’re not confined to Brown…not sure why NE schools think AC isn’t necessary). If you’re from the west coast I imagine it’s even more unexpected. My niece is a senior this year and she’s voiced her disappointment quite a few times regarding the administration’s choices regarding Covid.

My husband’s family has old and deep ties with Brown and it has a special place in our family’s history. The school provides a very unique educational environment and I encourage you to look beyond your initial disappointment and know that it can and will be a wonderful experience for you even though it doesn’t feel that way right now.

5 Likes

This is the “rule” in question…

“ * Limit of 5 for Undergraduate Social Gatherings. Social gatherings for undergraduate students are limited to no more than five people — whether indoors or outdoors — except in instances in which students live in housing with more than five other students (roommates, suitemates or apartment mates). This restriction applies on campus and off campus. Most of the transmission we have seen is due to close social gatherings in which masks are not worn.”

Virtually unenforceable off campus but the kids astutely are aware that they are better off not thumbing their noses at it. Consequently, non brown attire has become the norm if dining out with a group greater then 5 I am told.

Parents weekend is next weekend and plenty of multi family dinner reservations are in place. Some that I am aware of where requests for adjacent tables of five solve “the problem”.

2 Likes

FWIW, my weather app says it’s going to be in the mid-60s all next week. Up until quite recently the idea of providing a/c at a New England college would have been the equivalent of shipping coal to West Virginia.

2 Likes

WHAT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

• DO keep the students you socialize with indoors with to a small, stable group, i.e. no “social group hopping” among multiple small-group gatherings over the course of a day or short period of time.
  • DO NOT go to indoor bars and restaurants (students who have off-campus employment at such facilities can do so, but should be especially careful to wear masks at all times while at work).

Also highly recommended (but not outright forbidden) to not go to bars and restaurants and to stick with the same small group, which might be a bit more challenging if you’re a new freshman still looking for your people.

1 Like

There’s a college joke hidden in there somewhere because I can’t imagine six Wesleyan students agreeing on where to eat.

1 Like