Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

True, but if you live in certain zip codes, there are literally thousands of openings that people either don’t know about or don’t want.

This clawback for equity in access is frustrating because it still seems to go through the same confusing online system without much outreach into populations that don’t already know how to navigate. Also, in addition to vaccine hesitancy in general, the new mega sites are in neighborhoods that were hardest hit, where ~30% of the population has already had covid and might feel like they have some degree of immunity, at least enough to wait and get the vaccine later.

1 Like

I cancelled my appointment for today, which I had gotten through sheer luck at a Walgreen’s in MA. ( I did a self-test on polyethylene glycol yesterday due to past reactions to Miralax and am consulting an allergist before the vaccine). I cancelled last night: the pharmacy is in a low income minority community and I wanted the slot to be available, but noone took it.

1 Like

“Some states have more categories of people eligible for vaccines. Some are still pretty restricted. I wish I knew why that was.” - I’ve assumed it was based on each state’s initial estimate of the distribution of ages/conditions in the state vs expected vaccine quantities.

I think it is a matter of strategy, priority both practical and ethical, and politics.

Massachusetts took care of certain segments (75+, health care workers, homeless, others) and after a lot of pressure, moved to 65+ and those with two qualifying comorbidities. They have switched from targeting high risk hard to reach folks to an emphasis on volume and speed, for now, with enhancements in the works. People are unhappy no matter what the Gov. does. If there is insufficient supply, people are unhappy.

1 Like

Would you add gender and race to that (since men and minorities are more likely to die of COVID-19 given similar age)?
http://www.predictcovidrisk.com/

1 Like

Vent away, @deb922! I am in MI also - 63 years old, working on-site and in-person (doing a job that can’t be done from home). My employer “promised” we’d all get vaccinated, but oops - they’re running out of vaccine after vaccinating a whole bunch of people who should not have been vaccinated yet. (Seriously - work-from-home 30-year-old IT guys?? You’re already vaccinated?)

Like your husband, I also have 2 autoimmune diseases. My doctor says I should get vaccinated ASAP but she doesn’t have any suggestions or any power to push me up in line. It looks like it will be May or June until I can get a shot.

4 Likes

One week ago H 69 and I 65 got Walgreen first dose Pfizer and second dose is scheduled.
Then a week later our county public heath sent an email to H for first dose sign up. Ignore, if already gotten.

I today got a snarky email from our county public health saying ‘to sign up for first dose this week. If I don’t, then I will go into the general public pool later. They have a wait list.’

I have been getting emails from NJ about signing up for an appt in the last few days. When I clicked on the link, I saw they did have appts available.

1 Like

The city-controlled vaccinations have been complete disasters where I live. We went through Wellmed instead. Both shots, we were in and out of there in 15 minutes. Best thing to do is wait until the vaccinations is more widely available in a couple months, then get it at your local pharmacy.

2 Likes

I think that the county is only doing the first shot, not scheduling the second shot for you. In 3 weeks Walgreens already has our second shot scheduled. (I hope)

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that there needs to be two shots (Pfizer and Moderna) … it “halves the supply” and does make appointments so much more tricky.

The fastest vaccine developed prior to the COVID vaccine was the mumps vaccine which took 4 years to develop. Let’s continue to wash, mask and social distance and count our blessings.

6 Likes

CT…

New rollout by age.

55-64 March 1

45-54 March 22

35-44 April 12

16-34 May 3

No other guideline except age…except in the March 1 group, I believe teachers are included.

5 Likes

Wow. Does it seem like this will start a trend that other states will follow?

1 Like

No, I don’t think other states will follow CT because those aren’t the CDC breakdowns. Does CT already allow those from 16-64 with co-morbidities to get the vaccine?

In Colorado there is already another BIG group that hasn’t started yet, which is 16-64 with 2 or more of the health conditions lists, plus certain occupations (transportation, grocery store workers). They are even thinking of breaking that group up into smaller groups. The grouping in CT would be ‘group C’ (general public).

No. CT is doing age guidelines only. Except a carve out for teachers who are in the next group beginning March 1. This was just announced today.

Our governor says he feels this is the fastest way to get the most vaccines distributed. If he is correct, I wouldn’t be surprised if other states did follow. CT is third in the amount of vaccines that have been administered.

Lots of sites and new ones cropping up daily. A handful of large mega sites, and many smaller ones. Pharmacies are now in as well with some CVS and Walgreens doing shots. Walmart pharmacy is also starting up.

This is not the recommendation of the CDC, but many states are not following the CDC guidelines strictly.

4 Likes

finally, some common sense has prevailed in a Governor’s office.

(or, probably more to the point, some political reality has set in. There are so many groups – both with medical necessity and those with poliitical influence – clamoring to move into 1b, they all cannot be accomodated. Thus, other than a lottery by group, age brackets make the most sense and are reasonably easy to administer. (yes, not everyone has an ID with a birth date on it.)

I have to agree. Simple is better and faster is key.

2 Likes

Will the dates change if vaccine supply is more or less than anticipated? I.e. if all age 65+ who want vaccine get it before 3/1, will the 55-64 start date be moved earlier? Or if 3/1 comes by with many age 65+ still waiting, will the 55-64 start date be moved later?

Also, it is likely popular with posters on this forum section, who are older, but heavily in otherwise-lower-risk demographic groups.

1 Like