Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

I read that there are 400k new people who will become eligible as it includes teachers, childcare workers and school staff. Its going to take a lot more than a few thousand each week to get through that number. Seeing that the entire state is doing about 40k vaccinations per day, that means it will take 10 straight days of no one else getting a vaccine for them all to get their first, and you know that a lot of that 40k is already targeted to people getting their second shots. There simply are not enough vaccines to do it.

Who employs the lifeguards? In California, many are firefighters (EMTs) and they get the same benefits and pay.

Hey @deb922! Michigan just announced that starting March 8th, they’ll be vaccinating people over the age of 50 with underlying conditions - and two weeks later, anyone over the age of 50 will be eligible for the vaccine!

I know you’re as discouraged as I am by the slow crawl of vaccinations in MI, but this is good news. Thought you might like to know!

Just to be Debbie Downer, though - I’m sure it will be hard to get appointments

5 Likes

Thanks so much @scout59! Knowing that we will at least be able to enter the Hunger Games is encouraging!

4 Likes

May the odds be ever in our favor

1 Like

The CDC order for vaccines was not to protect workers or decide who was most deserving, it was to prevent hospital admissions. Who was most likely to need admission if he got covid, the 75 year old nursing home resident or the 25 year old school teacher? In almost every group, it was the older person and not the younger, even if the younger had more exposure to covid.

But then they decided of course medical personal should be in the first group and they made no distinction between the 65 year old ICU doctor and the 22 year old file clerk. Everyone said that was fair, that medical personnel should be first and it would be too hard to separate out the face-to-face group from the behind the scenes people (so my daughter’s 24 year old friend who does billing from home was in the first group). Nursing homes? Of course as there were so many deaths and they were closed down and they weren’t going to vaccinate the 70 year old but skip the 62 year old
 Grandma and the other 70 year olds even though they were healthy and played tennis twice a week? Front of the line.

But then special interest groups got into it and it did become a ‘my group is more deserving’ fight. Continuation of government? Of course the senators and governors needed to be up front, but what about their staff and spouses? Thirtysomething AOC right beside 90 year old Feinstein? Yes. Those with more political pull (unions, and actual politicians) jumped in front.

The CDC’s list is pretty straight forward - who is most likely to need to be hospitalized and in ICU if they contract Covid? Go down the list (mostly age order, some medical conditions). The governors have a more political priority list.

3 Likes

@me29034-- that is beyond discouraging!!! Baker added a million to the eligible list on Feb. 18, and is going to add another 400K on Mar. 11.

I am convinced that I will not be able to get a vaccine until midsummer at this rate. After living like a hermit for a full year, I cannot believe that the finish line keeps getting placed further and further away.

Until there is more supply, it is INSANE to keep adding groups to the eligibiity list. UGH!!!

3 Likes

Parks and Rec here, either city or state. And I don’t mean to belittle lifeguards! It’s just that the employee-eligible list is very city/state heavy and seems to be about who can get in front of the deciders, not who is working f2f with the public.

1 Like

Also, in the classroom, teachers do the largest part of the talking, which tends to produce more droplets than quietly listening like the students usually are.

1 Like

I am still working with an allergist and have had to cancel two appointments. I have one now that I will definitely go to, premedicated with Benadryl, on March 10, the day before the new group is added!

My kid with type 1 diabetes got hers as an educator. Side effects are tough for her so imagine what COVID would do.

Grateful.

@MADad I hope Fauci is right and you get a shot by the end of May. It is tough waiting and even tougher when someone else in the household has had one.

3 Likes

Since residential college students tend to be from higher SES backgrounds than commuter college students, that seems to be an obvious example of how vaccine access is related to SES.

1 Like

An unintended side effect. Just like vaccinating nursing home residents will heavily skew towards female rather than male.

1 Like

and skew away from persons of color.

2 Likes

Yes, because POC do not make up a large part of the nursing home population at present.

It should include all college students whether they live at home or not. Plenty of commuters still engage in on campus activities, including Greek Life. The recent outbreak at Cornell at the beginning of the semester started by a student who lived off campus. While it wasn’t a commuter, my point is you don’t need to be living in a fraternity, sorority or dorm to spread it to a large group. Also, many college students are already vaccinated due to underlying conditions and other opportunities presented to them at the university to qualify for the vaccine. I just heard of students who teach PE classes being able to get it, if you take a psych class and volunteer 9 hours you can get it, social work majors can get it for similar reasons, if you volunteer at the distribution site you can get it, research lab, and more. A university with 10,000 students can vaccinate everyone fairly quickly. Even a larger one probably can too. If they’re set up to test 6k people a day for covid they can probably vaccinate thousands a day too once up and running.

3 Likes

Happy to include teachers if they work in person, or will do so as soon as they are vaccinated.

Agree to include educators/teachers if they work in person or plan to do so when vaccinated.

I disagree with tying access to lifesaving medication to conditions of employment. If that’s not a violation of some kind of labor law, it should be. We have no idea if people who get the vaccine can still be asymptomatic carriers to friends and loved ones who haven’t had the vaccine. I’d love to see our educators get vaccinated. I’ll leave the decision about whether or not returning to in person work is safe for them (and their families) up to them and their medical care providers.

1 Like

correct, but PoC are also not a large proportion of teachers.

Access to the vaccine for non-elderly adults is tied generally to those in essential work positions requiring in-person services, for teachers or anyone else. In-person is the key condition which merits accelerated access to the vaccine, rather than just waiting for the general public.

3 Likes

They may not be a large portion of teachers, but there are plenty of minorities that do work in schools in other jobs, food staff, bus drivers, teacher aids, office work, etc. so they should absolutely be included in the vaccines for educators. They are just as much, if not on the front line than teachers.

The higher the % of minority students, the higher the number of minority teachers. In schools with 90% or higher minority students, 55% of the teachers are minorities as well.

This represents so much of urban public schools across the country. Factor in the lower % of minorities receiving the vaccine (currently) and the risk for virus transmission by student or teacher increases.

1 Like