Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

I don’t think so, at least not in NY. For the state-run sites, the barrier is the online sign-up systems themselves, not people cancelling when they get a better appointment (sooner, or closer to home). If you can get on the system, you can get an appointment, and if you refresh long enough, you can snag a cancelled appointment, often for the next day, and sometimes same day.

If you don’t have internet access, you can call the state sites. You can call as many times as you want, and they will help you get the soonest or closest appointment.

If you don’t want to go to a state site, there are many participating pharmacies, clinics, community centers, pop-ups, churches, etc.

When I look for appointments for people, I go ahead and register to get one on the calendar, and then work to find one that’s closer to them, closer to public transport, sooner, or whatever they request. I always cancel the original immediately if I find something better, and I think that’s what almost everyone does.

3 Likes

For Arizona, create an account on he AZDHS website and look for a spot at one of the big, efficient state pods. Starting tomorrow this is open to anyone over 16. There’s also a few big vaccine sites through Maricopa county, and then all the pharmacies.

1 Like

The plan is to try everything. It looks like you sign up for a waitlist at Denton County? Helpful to know when CVS is adding appointments.

Does Georgia have a high rate of vaccine refusal, or are there access issues standing in the way of people in the previous priority groups? CDC COVID Data Tracker says that it is the second slowest state in doses per population administered.

Tagging on to the other answers- if case your son doesn’t mind driving to Collin County. I have been told that all slots for Clark Stadium in Plano open every Friday at 10:00 a.m. for appointments the following week. You sign up through the Collin County Covid Vaccine site. Good luck!

2 Likes

its several things. From what I understand in the rural areas there are high rates of vaccine refusal. And if you look at south GA, the covid rates are not bad, so I suppose they probably no longer think its an issue. Metro Atlanta it has been harder to find vaccines. There will be a shift as to where the vaccines will go from what i heard. Also, it was 65 and up for a pretty long time, so I understand that for that age range we are doing ok. (it took forever to add teachers) There was also some holding back of doses, which noone knows why . Then FEMA is swooping in and vaccinating at the stadium now, with a capacity of 6K shots a day.

I think there is not enough push though to get the URM’s vaccinated . i find that discouraging and sad. Other states are doing much better reaching out to those who are hesitant. I hope that in a few weeks there is more of a drive of equality.

They are waitlists for appointments…not scheduled appointments. Any people sign up on multiple wait lists and then schedule the first one offered. They then drop off the remaining wait lists.

@ucbalumnus this is how most people get appointments. Being on a waitlist is not using up a scheduled appointment.

4 Likes

Thank you! What do you have to show in terms of identification? Is an AZ license enough or do you have to be a resident of the county in which you get the vaccine? They are passing through and won’t be going to his county of residence in AZ.

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if any states around TX, AZ, CO, UT that allow out-of-state students to get vaccinated? My son is road-tripping home with friends and they are trying to coordinate getting vaccinated in their home states (across the west) but it’d be easier if there were vaccination sites that take out-of-staters. They’ll be in east TX soon and head west from there.

Here is an example of what is going on. look at all the places with plenty of appointments tomorrow outside of Atlanta

A number of states don’t have enough vaccines for their current residents. I’m in the “high-risk” category and I can’t get an appointment.

I doubt that some of those states will have appointments for your son and his buddies.
Is your son at-risk?
Does he have comorbidities like diabetes, or hypertension?
He shouldn’t be traveling to all of those states if he is at risk.
Why would he, as a non-resident, be prioritized over someone instate with health risks?
Has your state opened up vaccines to everyone?

Texas has really poor social distancing. I don’t know if they’ve opened up Texas to everyone for vaccines.

This is as of March 4th from Vaccine vacation: Shot-seekers head to other states in hope of appointment

Western states with no residency requirement for the vaccine:

Texas (open to all adults on March 29)
Arizona (open to all adults on March 24)
Montana (open to all adults on April 1)
Nevada (open to all adults on April 5)
California
Colorado
New Mexico

Other states with no residency requirement:
North Carolina
Virginia
Wyoming
Alabama
Iowa
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Missouri
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
South Carolina

4 Likes

Also, in case this is helpful for others with kids in college, I have heard that North Carolina is vaccinating any resident or staff member of any congregate living, including dorms. At least some Walgreens in Virginia are also doing this.

Students living in dorms in Idaho are definitely eligible.

2 Likes

@3SailAway Thanks! This is super helpful!

@aunt_bea None of them are at risk but they want to get vaccinated when their age group is allowed and they will have a hard time getting to their home states any time soon.

1 Like

@liska21 you have the list of states with no residency requirement and ages for some. The challenge will be getting appointments for a car load at the same vaccine site when they happen to be passing through a state.

Are they willing to be flexible and hang around for a couple of weeks if that is how long it takes to get them all appointments?

@thumper1 They are somewhat flexible. That Colorado does not require residency is helpful since they’ll be there for awhile. They’ll be in a remote/rural area so it’ll probably depend if they just get lucky in terms of vaccine availability. We are in a very rural country (in WA) but actually vaccine access has been good (if you are eligible).

@twoinanddone @Colorado_mom

When will the covid vaccine be available to everyone including 20 somethings and younger in CO.

@liska21 I am hoping someone has recent info… But I didn’t think the general public was going to be eligible in CO until right after Easter…APRIL 6 or so.

Colorado has been doing more and more granular chunking of Phase 1, and usually we hear target date predictions a few weeks prior (and confirmation about a week prior). On 3/19 we started Phase 1b4 (age 50+ and more). I have not yet seen any dates about Phase 2.

FYI - CO Phases listed at the bottom of this page…https://covid19.colorado.gov/for-coloradans/vaccine/find-out-when-youre-eligible-for-a-covid-19-vaccine

@Marilyn It is different in King County (where Seattle is). I am in Okanogan County (very very rural). We have a centralized site where you register (eligible or not) and they contact you when there are spots available in the county. My daughter is on that but is not yet eligible. My husband and I got it early (before the centralized site was up) because we are first responders.

The state sites take any ID (I even saw Canadian when I was volunteering (lots of Canadian winter visitors here) but the counties will require county residency I believe. Not sure about CVS and other pharmacies.