Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

@liska21 if they can get their first shot along the way…are they then hoping to get the second shot in another state where they happen to be at that time? Or are they hoping for J and J to be one and done?

Thanks, our son is basically just “over 18”, no priorities at all.

Looks like King County at 16.8% fully vaccinated residents is falling behind San Diego County (18.8%).

Hopefully the state and county will ramp up when supplies become more predictable.

Our son is in the Augusta area and ended up getting an appointment just over the border in SC. He missed his turn when his unit was vaccinated on post as he was in KY at the time. When he returned, he kept being told that he was on the list for the next round, just one more week…about three times. He was not able to find a GA site with openings close enough to him to accommodate his work schedule but eventually found one at a pharmacy in SC across the river from his office. I didn’t think to ask him about residency, but I see from @3SailAway’s list that it wasn’t a problem.

Here in AZ, we have so many snowbirds (in our community, mostly Canadians) who are here for half the year that it would make sense not to worry about residency. None of our Canadian neighbors have had any trouble scheduling appointments and are glad to be here as, posted upthread, they would not have been eligible back home for some time.

AZ is not restricting to county. We live in Pinal and were vaccinated in Maricopa, no issues, but at a pharmacy not state site. You can register on the AZDHS website for the state sites no matter what county you live in.

3 Likes

@liska21 - I should have recommended that they NOT count on getting a CO vaccine. Even for locals knowing the current rules combing the options it has been VERY tough to arrange one appt, tougher when multiples needed. Other states are probably easier.

1 Like

NY is also open to resident of any congregate living, which includes dorms. D2 was vaccinated few weeks ago because of her work at her university as a graduate student. Her university has been actively helping the students getting vaccinated by posting available vaccination sites in NYC. Now they probably will be even more active in getting all of their UG students vaccinated.

2 Likes

I don’t have any more info than @Colorado_mom posted - just that Phase 2 is ‘next’. Phase 1b4, the group just eligible last Friday, has 2.5 million people in it but they have really increased the number of drive thru clinics that can do 2000 people a day, plus all the other clinics and pharmacies.

I’d guess that Group 2 will be eligible by the end of March.

I’m not sure how accurate the numbers included in each group are either. I’ve been in 3 groups so far (occupation, age, health conditions), so I’m not sure if I was counted 3 times or if they figure there are some teachers who are also 65 and also have health conditions, or if they just count everyone for every group they are in.

I only know one person who had any trouble getting an appointment and she was being picky about location. Today I was at my grocery store pharmacy and it had a line of about 10 people waiting so that’s not a very efficient way to do the shots. The clinic I went to only took as long as it took me to walk in, show my ID, and get the shot. The 15 minute waiting period was self timed in the general waiting area (I got other lab work done and so just waited there; my brother waited in the car).

So…it should be soon for the general public in Colorado.

1 Like

Colorado has several sites (drive thru) run by the state. I know there is one in Colorado Springs at the Broadmoor World Arena (it’s the skating rink), one at Dick’s Sporting Arena in Commerce City (Denver metro), and one in Grand Junction. At least one of them (not sure which) was open without appointments (but not sure if you still had to qualify by being in at least group 1.b.4 (age, occupation, health). Many of the mountain counties have low demand - my BIL was called a week before his group was eligible because they’d vaccinated everyone in prior groups who wanted one.

There are of course ‘end of the day’ vaccines available by luck.

1 Like

Article about getting vaccines to harder-to-reach people:

Includes discussion about:

• Cherokee Nation
  • People who mainly speak Spanish in Arizona
  • Surrey County in Virginia, a rural county with 2 doctors and no pharmacies
  • Black people in south Los Angeles who are suspicious about the health care system in general based on own experiences
  • Minot, North Dakota
2 Likes

@oldfort Where did you hear that NY is open to students in dorm living? My son is in college in NY and that does not seem to be an option when signing up for vaccines, and his campus has been publicizing vaccine info for those who are eligible. According to officials at his campus, congregate living does not qualify them, but those who work on campus in certain jobs are eligible but they have to bring proof of their campus employment. Fortunately my son falls into this category but soonest appointment we could get close enough to campus is not until the first week of April.

But that’s not far off, and although many states seemed to have opened vaccinations to large groups, many are scheduling appointment for April and May. When CT opened to the last big group which included 55+, I had several friends who were so happy to get appointments 2-3 hours away from their homes, in April. I thought that was bad but they were happy.

I have friends here in Colorado that were scheduled for clinics in April but were able to move to earlier dates.

“Residents & Staff in Congregate Settings” are eligible. How would you interpret “Congregate Settings?” I would say dorms are congregate living.
Officials at his campus do not determine if he is eligible, the state does. To be frank, in NY they are not checking for any documentations. He should just go to one of NY’s mega vaccine sites.

@oldfort, trust me, if students in congregate living were eligible, his campus would be advocating right now. His college has been working very closely with state officials and recently partnered with the state to run a pop up vaccination site. His school has already been encouraging students who currently are eligible in other categories. My son is going to a state run site and according to students who have already been there, they were requiring documentation. They even told one kid that his college ID was not enough proof that he lived in NY (he has NJ license). As with any vaccination site, some are more lax than others about providing documentation.

If you saw something that included congregant living as eligibility, it was not referring to college housing and most likely meant nursing homes, homeless shelters, etc. The link to those eligible in NY per NYS’s website is here. Congregate housing is not included.

And my son is scheduled to get vaccinated but only because he works in the classroom with one of his professors. He was contacted by school officials and provided the info necessary to show eligibility along with info on where he might be able to find local appointments, one of which is the mass vacc site I mentioned above that some students have been to already.

1 Like

Saw this on Twitter this morning. The bottom 10 states in share of population vaccinated

Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Utah, Indiana, Texas, Arkansas, Idaho and Missouri

Nate silver commented that he thinks that you’re starting to see the impact of vaccine hesitancy.

I’m putting this out here with no comment. But if I were trying to travel and find a vaccine, I’m might look into these states

2 Likes

@kiddie where have they explicitly said dorms?

The only thing I see that someone might try to loophole is: “Other vulnerable, congregate, long-term settings”, though I don’t think a dorm (not long-term and healthy 18-22 y/o’s are not vulnerable, IMO) meets that criteria.

i am trying to help my boss’s son who lives near cambridge MA get signed up. For those in MA when are appointments usually put out there for the pharmacies. he is an essential worker, but under 18. What other tips and tricks for MA?

MA has gotten harder to get an appointment and I’ve got to admit that it really ticks me off that I am a 60 year old with a health condition who can’t find an appointment and people are asking for help to get teenagers vaccinated. I’m also bothered by the posts advising how to skip the line. You know, when you skip the line, that means your healthy kid is getting ahead of someone like me.

3 Likes

This under 18 year old is not skipping the line if they are an essential worker. But, he will be limited to the Pfizer vaccine, the only one approved for 16 and 17 years old (assuming he’s one of those ages).

1 Like

My bosses son works in a food pantry to help feed those in need. He just asked for my help, as he and his wife dont qualify yet and his son is being exposed. Sometimes these “teenagers” live in a home that puts older people at risk. I am sorry you are having a hard time getting an appointment. Maybe the others here from MA can help you as well.

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t checked the government websites, but I have friends whose kids have gotten appointments because of being a student in a dorm.

Look for vaccine finders for Massachusetts on Facebook. This group has helped a LOT of people get appointments.