CRT Required?

<p>Hi, I'm a 2010 Fall Admit to Krannert School of Management. I was wondering if I have to take the Calculus Readiness Test. I know it says if you've taken Pre-Calc in highschool it's recommended you take it but I took Finite Mathematics my senior year so I have very little memory of Pre-Calc since I took that junior year. Also I don't know if it's that important to take the CRT if I'm a management major since math won't be a big part of it.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>You should take it. If you don’t take it now, your advisor is going to make you take it on the day of your STAR date. And also, the management major does have math, you are required to take up to Calc 2 for the major. Not taking the CRT now would be unwise, it basically shows the advisors what math class you should start with (if you do poorly on the CRT, you will be placed in a lower math; and vice versa.). Here is the plan of study, <a href=“http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/undergraduate/Academics/plansofstudy/2010/major_mgmt_fall10.pdf[/url]”>http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/undergraduate/Academics/plansofstudy/2010/major_mgmt_fall10.pdf&lt;/a&gt; You should definitely look over it.</p>

<p>calc 2 :frowning: haha not good. well the thing is I want to get into pre-calc again because I think it will be a good refresh course for me. I know if I get Calc I then I will get destroyed just because its been two years since I took Pre-Calc. So should I still take the CRT?</p>

<p>Yeah, you’re required to take the CRT because you took pre-calc in high school, and everyone has to take the ART i believe. After taking it, your advisor will tell you what math you “should” be placed in. So if they say you should be in Calc 1 (MA 223), it’s just a suggestion. Some people may be advised to take MA 223 but don’t really need math for their major, so they take a lower level math class. So you can register for “pre-calc” (MA 159) for fall and take MA 223 in the spring and so on, they can’t make you take a math if you don’t feel you’re ready to take it. And if you look at the MAI (management admissions index) you have to take alg/trig (MA 153/MA 154) or pre-calc (MA 159) first then calc 1 and so on; they all go into your management gpa/MAI.</p>

<p>So I just took the CRT and got a 15/21 by winging it and then I read an e-mail that said only Industrial Management majors have to take the CRT…so yeah I guess it doesn’t matter anymore. But if I sign up for Pre-Calc I won’t be far behind or anything right?</p>