CSULB vs SDSU vs CSUF for Nursing

I got into csulb and sdsu so far and I’m still waiting on fullerton, but I would like any insight anyone has on these schools for their nursing program. I’ve heard people say that getting classes at csulb and csuf are the worst, but I’ve also heard otherwise. I don’t know much about the program at sdsu though. I didn’t think I’d be considering these schools to attend but here I am haha.

If anyone can help, I’d really really appreciate it. Thanks

Got with the direct admit at SDSU hands down if you are a Freshman?

You can safely discount CSULB program. It is not direct entry and the acceptance rate to later be admitted to the nursing program is less than 10%. CSUF and SDSU are both direct entry. SDSU is a terrific program and campus where freshmen and sophomore students must live on campus. CSUF is a commuter school.

My D is a 2nd year nursing student at SDSU and loves the program and school. She plays a club sport with lots of travel, plays intramural sport, she holds down a restaurant job, she has secured hospital volunteering opportunities at Sharp and UCSD and she’s earned an internship starting in summer through Palomar hospital (pathmaker). She’s in the honors program and looking forward (when things settle down with COVID-19) to travel abroad which is required for nursing and honors. She loved basketball season, attending games, getting on jumbo-tron with her friends, and doing so many more things than just studying.

SDSU nursing is a family. It is a large nursing program where the students are not in competition with each other to register for classes or to later be admitted to the program. They are in the program directly from high school and their nursing advisor ensures they all have top registration priority for their required classes.

If you like SDSU she might recommend you consider the nursing living community there.

1 Like

Thank you @Banker1 and @Gumbymom . My daughter did not get into SDSU, but she was accepted at CSUF. She is trying to connect with a current CSUF student to get the same kind of excellent information you provided in your post. By any chance do you know anyone? Thanks again!

@SA4465 I spent some time going through the old Class of 2022 and 2023 Nursing threads but couldn’t find anyone going to CSUF. It may be best to direct questions to the school itself. Or perhaps FB CSUF Nursing page? I’m not sure. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck!

I haven’t visited the campus but when we lived in Orange County, Cal State Fullerton was well regarded but also very much known as a commuter school. I think it’s one of the biggest Cal States but has a very low proportion of kids who live on campus ( well under 10 percent). Very close to Disneyland!
But I am sure a much higher proportion of nurses will be non commuter. I would double check if being in the nursing program will mean your daughter is guaranteed to get her general ed classes etc so she can stay on the 4 year track.
Well done to your daughter for getting a place at a public direct admit nursing school in CA!